Appropriate Building Blocks?

bob

Hi,
Looking at the design of an application.
The user will have a widget hung off their PC.
They will log onto a website and be able to:
1) Configure their widget
2) Get reports on their widgets behaviour.

So...

1) The widget needs to send its behaviour over the net to the central
repository.

2) The configuring web page needs to be able to issue commands over
the net to the widget.

My initial thoughts are a windows application / service on the user PC
that monitors the widget and pushes to the Central repository
(Consumes Central repository Webservice?)
It also listens real time for incoming commands (MSMQ?).

At the Website / Central repository:

Building Block A receives incoming widget data.(Webservice that the
user PC widget program consumes?)

Building block B sends commands to the widget which contain the user's
latest configuration alteration from the configuration web page. 'Real
Time' so perhaps Webpage -> DLL with MSMQ?

The user(s) end PC will be of various levels but let's assume an XP
home operating system.

Am I on the right track to a workable solution?

In case WCF comes into the conversation I have no experience with it
but if it is an essential part of the picture then so be it.

thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

Bob

bob

Hi Mr A,
Thank you for your response.
It looks like WCF and I are about to get acquainted.
You asked 'Why a Web page?'
We wanted it to be as easy as possible to use.
Everyone can use a web browser.
The installation of the widget(s) and the windows service on the
client PC will be done by our staff.

regards
Bob

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:54:26 -0400, "Mr. Arnold" <MR.