Appserv installed, now what?

Zach

Hello,

I'm trying to teach myself PHP and MySQL to make a website. I was
looking into what I need to install to get PHP and MySQL working on my
computer and I saw someone suggest using appserv
(www.appservnetwork.com) on another post. So I downloaded it and
installed it, and I guess everything went well...but now what? Apache
is running, I told MySQL to "start", but I don't know what to do now.

I tried writing a php script called test.php3 in notepad and saving it
on my computer, but Internet Explorer won't open it. Plus...how do I
get into MySQL to enter data into the database. I'm confused! I feel
confident that I can learn the coding if I could just get started!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach

BlueC

Zach said:
Hello,

I'm trying to teach myself PHP and MySQL to make a website. I was
looking into what I need to install to get PHP and MySQL working on my
computer and I saw someone suggest using appserv
(www.appservnetwork.com) on another post. So I downloaded it and
installed it, and I guess everything went well...but now what? Apache
is running, I told MySQL to "start", but I don't know what to do now.

I tried writing a php script called test.php3 in notepad and saving it
on my computer, but Internet Explorer won't open it. Plus...how do I
get into MySQL to enter data into the database. I'm confused! I feel
confident that I can learn the coding if I could just get started!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach

Dunno, but I would have suggested using XAMPP for windows
(apachefriends.org) not appserv

BlueC

Zach said:
Hello,

I'm trying to teach myself PHP and MySQL to make a website. I was
looking into what I need to install to get PHP and MySQL working on my
computer and I saw someone suggest using appserv
(www.appservnetwork.com) on another post. So I downloaded it and
installed it, and I guess everything went well...but now what? Apache
is running, I told MySQL to "start", but I don't know what to do now.

I tried writing a php script called test.php3 in notepad and saving it
on my computer, but Internet Explorer won't open it. Plus...how do I
get into MySQL to enter data into the database. I'm confused! I feel
confident that I can learn the coding if I could just get started!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach
Actually I do know a bit: try looking for mysql and php tutorials on the
web. www.w3schools.com would be a good place to start - it helped me a
lot and that was many years ago.

Adrienne Boswell

Hello,

I'm trying to teach myself PHP and MySQL to make a website. I was
looking into what I need to install to get PHP and MySQL working on my
computer and I saw someone suggest using appserv
(www.appservnetwork.com) on another post. So I downloaded it and
installed it, and I guess everything went well...but now what? Apache
is running, I told MySQL to "start", but I don't know what to do now.

I tried writing a php script called test.php3 in notepad and saving it
on my computer, but Internet Explorer won't open it. Plus...how do I
get into MySQL to enter data into the database. I'm confused! I feel
confident that I can learn the coding if I could just get started!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach

Try looking at some tutorials:
<http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/phpmysql>
<http://www.webmonkey.com/webmonkey/programming/php/tutorials/tutorial4.h
tml>
<http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/code/mybasic.htm>
and of course:
<http://php.net/>
and
<http://www.msql.com/>

Zach

Alright well I uninstalled appserv and am now using XAMPP. My PHP is
now working. Now my question is: with XAMPP, can I use some kind of
command line program for entering commands into MySQL rather than going
to http://localhost/ and typing my commands in a text box?

Thanks,
Zach

BlueC

Zach said:
Alright well I uninstalled appserv and am now using XAMPP. My PHP is
now working. Now my question is: with XAMPP, can I use some kind of
command line program for entering commands into MySQL rather than going
to http://localhost/ and typing my commands in a text box?

Of course, just go to the command line and run mysql.exe

Zach

Of course, just go to the command line and run mysql.exe

Ah ha! I didn't realize I had to run it from the command line. When I
tried to open mysql.exe in windows explorer it would just beep at me
and close.

Thanks for the help!