AppServer 8 Dynamic Servlet reload NOT working

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ernst Raedecker, Sep 7, 2004.

  1. Hello all,

    Last week I finally installed on my Windows 2000 Advanced Server the
    new Sun Appserver 8 reference application, that is, I installed J2EE
    1.4 SDK Update 1, dated june 15, 2004.

    This J2EE comes in two flavors:
    * the full install (103 Mb)
    * separate installs for J2SE 1.4.2_05 (51 Mb), J2EE AppServer (32 Mb),
    J2EE samples (14 Mb), api and tutorial.

    This new version of AppServer does NOT use Tomcat. Also the config
    files are VERY different from the previous version 7. We now have a
    domain.xml, no longer a server.xml.
    Inside domain.xml the tags are different than in the past. If you try
    to insert some of the old tags or even attributes, the server will NOT
    load at all.

    I chose to install the separate files. Everything went well and the
    server functions on default port 8080 (no longer 8000).

    However, dynamic (automatic) servlet reloading does NOT work. I have
    to restart the server all the time.

    The admin tool gives me a checkbox to enable dyn reloading. This
    checkbox adapts in domain.xml the following tag:

    <admin-service type="das-and-server">
    <das-config ...attribs omitted... dynamic-reload-enabled="true"
    dynamic-reload-poll-interval-in-seconds="2" />
    </admin-service>

    These attrib are NO LONGER to be inserted in the <applications ...>
    tag. If you place them there, the server won't run.

    Help says that it should work. Other documentation says that FOR NEW
    SERVLETS you should add a file named ".reload" (dot reload) under the
    main directory of your app and update its date/time with a touch
    utility. Existing servlets should be reloaded automatically. This does
    NOT happen.

    Still other documentation tells me that the ".reload" file is
    obligatory, also for existing servlets.

    However,

    ON A WINDOWS MACHINE I CANNOT CREATE A FILE NAMED ".RELOAD"

    The reason is that Windows will think that I enter a file extension
    without a main file name. Hence I get: "Invalid file name."

    What to do now?

    I cannot comprehend the stupidity of people at Sun that:

    (1) want to create a portable reference application, and
    (2) introduce file names that are NOT portable, even UNUSABLE.

    Ernesto.

    "You don't have to learn science if you don't feel
    like it. So you can forget the whole business if
    it is too much mental strain, which it usually is."

    Richard Feynman

    Ernst Raedecker, Sep 7, 2004