appSettings key in web.config causes error

Eric Sabine

the second I add

<appSettings>

</appSettings>

to my web.config file (just after the <system.web>), my web application will
no longer run. I get an error that reads:

Error while tyring to run projectL Unable to start debugging on the web
server. Server side-error occurred on sending debug HTTP request...

any ideas?

Using the 2003 IDE on WXP Pro XP1.

Eric

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Eric,

You'll want to put it *before* <system.web>

<configuration>
<appSettings>
<add key="Application Name" value="MyApplication" />
</appSettings>

<system.web>
</configuration>

Ken

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

<appSettings> goes outside of <system.web>, but inside <configuration>. Once
you move it here, you are golden.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Eric Sabine

The frigging answer was in my post. Aaah, the value of another pair of
eyes.

thanks!

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Hi Eric,

Do you have the <appSettings> element within a <configuration> element?

<configuration>
<appSettings>
<add key="KeyName" value="SomeValue" />
</appSettings>