apt-get installs 1.8.5 on ubuntu 7.0.4

D. Krmpotic

hi!

How can I get 1.8.6 installed easily on ubuntu? apt-get installs 1.8.5
(why is that?) Thank you!

david

Xeno Campanoli

D. Krmpotic said:
hi!

How can I get 1.8.6 installed easily on ubuntu? apt-get installs 1.8.5
(why is that?) Thank you!

david
It appears Gutsy has 1.8.6. It's the "under development" Ubuntu right
now. It is due for release this Fall. Feisty is the present version and
has 1.8.5.

Xeno Campanoli

I also just added a bug in this regard. If you are using something
before Feisty, please let me know and I'll add that to the bug. I think
it may be a non-starter to get it fixed before Edgy though. I'd
recommend upgrade to at least Feisty anyway, as it's stable now, and if
you're using this on a server only, not a workstation, I find Gutsy
server is without any problems to me so far, so it may be a good choice
to just upgrade your server to Gutsy. Gutsy workstation isn't bad
either, but it's definitely in flux.

I suspect you may also be able to just get the .deb file on Gutsy and
just dpkg -i whatever on it and that will probably install it. I
haven't done this, so perhaps others can provide more assuring speculation.

D. Krmpotic

Hey.. thank you for responding.. I'm using Feisty on Workstation.. it's
working flawlessly.. won't switch to Gutsy yet.. on the server I use
Dapper.. I will install everything there using Deprec and see what gets
installed.

So is there no option to get 1.8.6 on Feisty? That's curious? what about
custom compiling from source? would that work? I haven't tried yet..

thank you again!
david

Xeno Campanoli

D. Krmpotic said:
Hey.. thank you for responding.. I'm using Feisty on Workstation.. it's
working flawlessly.. won't switch to Gutsy yet.. on the server I use
Dapper.. I will install everything there using Deprec and see what gets
installed.

So is there no option to get 1.8.6 on Feisty? That's curious? what about
custom compiling from source? would that work? I haven't tried yet..

Yes, it depends on how much energy you want to put into it.

There are always lots of options, but most or all may be riskier or much
more work than upgrading to Gutsy, or making a separate server than has
gutsy,
or some other Linuxy thing that has 1.8.6 on it. Meanwhile, I'll post
here if the wishlist Item I just put in the butlist for Ubuntu gets a
response. I would think they'd want to provide 1.8.6 on anything that
is still supported. I expect it won't require much work to do it, but
it may also be a very low priority, as Ubuntu's main focus is on
workstation support.

Best wishes.

xc

snacktime

The simplest long term solution is to not use ubuntu packages for
ruby. It installs from source very easily and you can always install
whatever version you want. In addition you don't have to learn or try
to remember which package contains this and that core functionality
that comes in the source install by default.

Chris

D. Krmpotic

thank you for putting it into the list.. and yes - do let us know
please.

you wrote: "...as Ubuntu's main focus is on workstation support"

this is a workstation problem... so I hope they take care of it.

bye
David

Marc Heiler

"The simplest long term solution is to not use ubuntu packages for
ruby. It installs from source very easily and you can always install
whatever version you want. In addition you don't have to learn or try
to remember which package contains this and that core functionality
that comes in the source install by default."

May I add to this :) that i compile ruby from source always, it is one
of the best-behaving packages for this (to me), much nicer than perl's
annoying default way to ask you quite many questions (although you can
suppress this, i still dont like it. I like gnu autoconfigure in this
regard..:)
Ruby resides in /Programs/Ruby/Version and is symlinked to a central dir
(and libs). This way you can even switch to another version easily
("Version" in this example is for instance 1.8.6)
I am not saying the way is better than the traditional one, but for me
it works a lot nicer as the dir layout is more structure for me (and if
i want i can just remove the dir easily again. Btw for compiling i use
ruby scripts and a chroot jail)

Xeno Campanoli

D. Krmpotic wrote:

Yeah, it's bug #123315 on launchpad.net. I hope you don't mind but I
used your statement there without explicit attribution
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ruby1.8/+bug/123315). It
will probably get affirmed as a wishlist item. The problem is I think
partly that Ubuntu focuses on the basic and entry level user as a higher
priority, and though programmers are certainly recognized as important
part of their user community, on things like this I think they may let
their inheritence of Debian packages dictate more what happens. That is
a guess. I've looked at a diagram of their (Our, since I'm actively
doing volunteer work for them) release process and it involves
inheriting slices of the latest Debian stuff, upgrading with changes
they've been able to actively make, then keeping those deltas so that
ever six months the next Debian slice may be re-inherited with the
latest "net" deltas. Meanwhile their launchpad mechanism tries to
republish all work back to upstream sources like Debian and GNOME and
Firefox so that any fixes they find at Ubuntu can be reused by upstream
activities with minimal duplication. It's a cool process I think, but
it tries to isolate Ubuntu resources to focus on making everyman's
workstation work well while letting and others do their work in
complement. Perhaps one way to establish Ruby as a good thing to keep
updated will be to show that as well as being a well designed and
powerful language, it is also perhaps the best entry level language for
programmers right now.

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

great.. so I'll compile Ruby from now on.. thank you very much!

david

Just wanted to pop in and say that ruby1.8.6 does not have a
production worthy release yet, the latest release still has Thread
deadlock bugs that are fixed in svn but not in any releases yet. I
don't recommend using 1.8.6 yet until a release actually fixes the
thread deadlocks issues.

Cheers-

-- Ezra Zygmuntowicz
-- Lead Rails Evangelist