Arabic Text Rendering

Alex Nazarian

HI mates
i have a little bit problem
i need to render an arabic text for a report priting application ...
when the arabic text is passed to the method drawString in class
Graphics2D the output will be such as null characters ... what shall
i do ?

Andrew Thompson

i need to render an arabic text for a report priting application ...
when the arabic text is passed to the method drawString in class
Graphics2D the output will be such as null characters ...

See if this little app. gives you any ideas.
<http://www.physci.org/launcher.jsp#JArabicInUnicode>

Note that early VM's (both MS 1.1.4 and Symantec 1.1.5)
render this text backwards, but since it is Swing based,
that problem is avoided.)

HTH

Mickey Segal

http://www.physci.org/launcher.jsp?class=/codes/eg/JArabicInUnicode fails
for me on Java 1.5.0 on Windows XP, reporting the following:

java.lang.ClassFormatError: Truncated class file
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Andrew Thompson

I'm using 1.5.0, not the preliminary versions. Do I need an additional
download for the Swing part?

(scratches head) No, it is all standard Java API Swing classes.
The code is directly below the launcher.

You can get the unformatted source here.
<http://www.physci.org/codes/display.jsp?fmt=raw&fl=/codes/eg/JArabicInUnicode.java>

It should work in Java 1.2+. theoretically, ..checks in
the on-line compiler, no, the call to JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE
on line 69 makes it 1.3+.

I would like to here from other beta and RC users of 1.5.

steve

http://www.physci.org/launcher.jsp?class=/codes/eg/JArabicInUnicode fails
for me on Java 1.5.0 on Windows XP, reporting the following:

java.lang.ClassFormatError: Truncated class file
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

it looks like it is corrupted.

java.lang.ClassFormatError: Truncated class file