Architecture Decisions Regarding Common DB Access, Remoting, and Performance

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by JTS, Jan 22, 2004.

  1. JTS

    JTS Guest

    I need to create three ASP.NET applications - each one will run on a
    different production server. Each application does basically the same thing
    with respect to data access; the apps differ primarily in presentation and
    audience. Each app will need to interact with a SQL Server database that is
    running on its own server. All servers will initially be on the same subnet,
    however there is no guarantee that they will remain on the same subnet in
    the future (the SQL Server may go behind an its own firewall). Just
    considering my architecture options...

    Is this scenario a no-brainer for separating out the data access logic to
    its own assembly? If so, is .NET Remoting the obvious choice for
    communication (given the close proximity of the boxes)? What about the
    future firewall for the SQL Server - how would that impact the design, and
    should I design for that up front? What about performance considerations. Am
    I correct in thinking that implementing a Web Service (strictly for data
    access services from behind the firewall) in this scenario would only serve
    to hurt performance and create bigger headaches for data security on the
    wire in (comparison to implementing data services via .NET Remoting)?

    Any thoughts on any aspect of these factors is greatly appreciated

    JTS, Jan 22, 2004