Architecture design question

Griff

Hi

I'm after some advice about the architecture to employ for a web front-end.

First, I'll describe the system. We host several customers' back-office
systems (which are identical) and which are accessed by our customers'
employees by remote connection. Our customers now wish us to host an
eCommerce front-end to their back-office systems on which *their* customers
will place orders.

By and large, the business rules for all our customers will be identical.
So, my thought was to build a single n-tier system to handle this.

The bottom tier is obviously our customers back-office systems.
The next vertical tier would be a data-services tier that knows which
back-office system to query.
The next would be the business tier.
And then we get to the UI.

It's the UI tier that I'm most confused about.

Each of our customers will require a unique look and feel - some may want a
frames solution, another may want a tabular display, some may want the
navigation buttons along the top whilst another will want them down the
side. Yes, I'm sure that I could program this in to a system, but I'm not
sure the best approach to take. Any/all suggestions most welcome.

Also, I don't know yet whether to employ a single web site with virtual
directories for each of our customers or to employ a separate web site for
each customer. (A single web site seems sensible just in terms of
incorporating SSL security). Either way, my guess is that I'd like all
customers sites to use as much common code as possible. Could anyone talk
me through ideal architectures for this?

Alternatively, if anyone has any great book suggestions that will help me in
this venture, I'd be really glad to hear of them.

Many thanks in advance

Griff

Griff

Thanks Freddy

Any suggestions for reading matter, particularly w.r.t. custom user controls
and css.

Presumably, there would be one CSS per customer (of ours). And, if our
customers wanted specific fonts/colours then they'd have their own end-user
style sheets?

Thanks

Griff

Freddy

You can use asp.net Wrox press books as well as refer to msdn. For CSS
Google it and you can find many free tutorials.

clintonG

ASP.NET 2.0 solves the problem but is not targeted for
commercial release until Q2 2005. Regardless, I suggest
you study its membership and theming capabilities.

Colin Young

In addition to the good suggestions already made, I'd like to add that one
way to reduce complexity in this sort of situation is to limit the options
in changing the site layout. That's actually less restrictive than it sounds
with decent CSS coding skills. As long as all pages have the same components
on them you should be able to use CSS to lay them out almost any way the
customer wants. You don't want to get into providing a frames solution for
some customers and a single page for others. You'll end up with too much
duplicated code.

If you go with the single-site solution, you need a good method to ensure
that the sites don't bleed into each other (e.g. if you are browsing company
A's site, there shouldn't be products or services from company B showing up,
even if they do appear in the style of company A's site). You will also need
a way to distinguish which site the user has requested. Do you want to use
www.hostcompany.com/?custid=A or www.companya.com? Either way, you'll want
to encapsulate all the code to detect which site the user has requested into
one area.

To handle your customers' business rules, if you haven't already done so,
consider using a rules engine to implement them. Inevitably somebody will
need a different rule, and with a good engine you can even let your
customers manage their own rules (if you so desire).

Colin

Adrian Parker

What I've done is to have generic pages in one area and then seperate
directories for each customer, and in there put some html pages that I open
and read and then output them to the screen. Can't do aspx page that way,
but you can

Adrian Parker

What I've done is to have generic pages in one area and then seperate
directories for each customer, and in there put some html pages that I open
and read and then output them to the screen. Can't do aspx page that way,
but you can load specific aspx pages from there.

Griff

To handle your customers' business rules, if you haven't already done so,
consider using a rules engine to implement them.

Could you define a "rules engine" please...