Are all Ruby built-in objects thread safe?

Just Another Victim of the Ambient Morality

Are all built-in objects thread safe? For example, if I have an array
and one thread is constant appending to it while another thread is shifting
elements off of it and there's no synchronization going on, can the array
object ever get corrupted? What about a similar scenario for hashes? These
are surely complicated objects with internal state that must be maintained.
Are they implemented to be thread safe?
Thank you...

Robert Klemme

Are all built-in objects thread safe? For example, if I have an array
and one thread is constant appending to it while another thread is shifting
elements off of it and there's no synchronization going on, can the array
object ever get corrupted? What about a similar scenario for hashes? These
are surely complicated objects with internal state that must be maintained.
Are they implemented to be thread safe?

The answer will sound a bit odd: they are not built to be thread safe
but it may well be that they are. In fact, it may well depend whether
they are thread safe in practical terms depending on the Ruby version
you are using. Since the classic interpreter uses green threads, i.e.
no preemption is happening, it may be that some or all operations are
atomic and thus thread safe.

The bottom line is: you should not rely on this and assume they are not
thread safe!

In your example, you should be using class Queue which is thread safe
and can be imported by requiring "thread"

$ irb -r thread
irb(main):001:0> q = Queue.new
=> #<Queue:0x7ff6afc0>
irb(main):002:0> t = Thread.new(q) {|qq| while (o = qq.deq) != qq; p o; end}
=> #<Thread:0x7ff61c68 sleep>
irb(main):003:0> 5.times {|i| q.enq i}; q.enq q; t.join
0
1
2
3
4
=> #<Thread:0x7ff61c68 dead>

Then there are also classes Mutex and Monitor plus module MonitorMixin.
The difference is reentrance:

irb(main):009:0> require 'monitor'
=> true
irb(main):010:0> m=Mutex.new
=> #<Mutex:0x7ff3e100>
irb(main):011:0> m.synchronize { m.synchronize { 1 } }
ThreadError: stopping only thread
note: use sleep to stop forever
from (irb):11:in `synchronize'
from (irb):11
from (irb):11:in `synchronize'
from (irb):11
from (null):0
irb(main):012:0> m=Monitor.new
=> #<Monitor:0x7ff329f4 @mon_count=0, @mon_owner=nil,
@mon_waiting_queue=[], @mon_entering_queue=[]>
irb(main):013:0> m.synchronize { m.synchronize { 1 } }
=> 1
irb(main):014:0>

Kind regards

robert

Jörg W Mittag

Just said:
Are all built-in objects thread safe? For example, if I have an array
and one thread is constant appending to it while another thread is shifting
elements off of it and there's no synchronization going on, can the array
object ever get corrupted? What about a similar scenario for hashes? These
are surely complicated objects with internal state that must be maintained.
Are they implemented to be thread safe?

This is a *very* interesting question! And it is a question that can
ultimately *only* be answered by a formal Ruby Specification or more
specifically a formal Ruby Memory Model.

Until we have such a specification, the C source code of MRI or YARV
is considered to be the "specfication". However, there is a problem:
that source code can actually be interpreted several different ways.

If you look at the implementations of Hash, Array and friends, you
will see that they are not thread-safe. Ergo: the specification says
that the user is responsible for locking Arrays and Hashes.

If, however, you look at the implementation of threads, you will see
that both MRI and YARV are actually incapable of running more than one
thread at a time -- even on a 1000-core machine MRI and YARV will only
ever use one core. So, since two threads can never access an Array at
the same time, there is no need for locking. Ergo: the specification
says that the user is *not* responsible for locking Arrays and Hashes.

There is a conflict here -- on the one hand, Arrays aren't
thread-safe, on the other hand, MRI's broken threading implementation
accidentally *makes* them thread-safe. Which do you depend on? As it
turns out, different people interpret this differently.

A couple of months ago, this actually became an issue. Originally, the
JRuby developers had implemented Arrays to be not safe. One of the big
selling points of JRuby was and still is the promise of true
concurrency and better scalability. So, naturally, people wanted to
take advantage of this feature and started running their concurrent
programs on JRuby. And those programs crashed left and right, because
they didn't lock their Arrays properly. So, the JRuby team decided to
implement thread-safe data structures on their end, so that code that
didn't crash on MRI could be run unmodified on JRuby.

However, they didn't *have* to do that. They could just as well have
concluded that those programs were broken and *they* needed to become
thread-safe. That would have been perfectly acceptable. And there is
no guarantee that *all* Ruby Implementations will do it that way (and
there's lots of them, something around 14 or so at the moment). Well,
*unless* of course, there is a specification which tells them to.

So, in short: when in doubt, lock.

jwm

Charles Oliver Nutter

Jörg W Mittag said:
A couple of months ago, this actually became an issue. Originally, the
JRuby developers had implemented Arrays to be not safe. One of the big
selling points of JRuby was and still is the promise of true
concurrency and better scalability. So, naturally, people wanted to
take advantage of this feature and started running their concurrent
programs on JRuby. And those programs crashed left and right, because
they didn't lock their Arrays properly. So, the JRuby team decided to
implement thread-safe data structures on their end, so that code that
didn't crash on MRI could be run unmodified on JRuby.

Actually, we made a minimal attempt to ensure that concurrent operations
against Array were usually safe across threads but also would raise a
Ruby-land "ConcurrencyError" when concurrent changes could not be
reconciled. It's a trade-off; adding locks to all the core collections
would severely penalize performance for what's generally the rare case
of concurrent access. And really there should be a separate set of
classes with guaranteed concurrency that people can use if the
performance considerations of locking are acceptabe for safe concurrent
access.

So in short, you're absolutely right; nobody should ever rely on the
core collections to be thread-safe, even if they happen to be
thread-safe by accident in the C implementations right now. That won't
be the case on all implementations, and may not even be the case on
future versions of the C impls. The safe answer is to ensure you're
watching your own back and properly synchronizing access to shared data
structures.

- Charlie

Jörg W Mittag said:
[...]

I don't think this is relevant. Concurrency isn't about how many
processors you use. Multitasking systems existed long before SMP hardware
existed. Concurrency is about doing tasks concurrently. If you have one
method running and it may be preempted by another method then they are
running concurrently. If the two methods share data then they may corrupt
that data for each other. This is true regardless of how these
concurrencies, or threads, are implemented. It doesn't matter if they're
hardware supported system threads or if they're Ruby green threads...

So, in short: when in doubt, lock.

This is the popular wisdom so this is what I will do. Better safe than
not thread-safe!

Brian Candler

Just said:
I don't think this is relevant. Concurrency isn't about how many
processors you use. Multitasking systems existed long before SMP
hardware
existed. Concurrency is about doing tasks concurrently. If you have
one
method running and it may be preempted by another method then they are
running concurrently. If the two methods share data then they may
corrupt
that data for each other. This is true regardless of how these
concurrencies, or threads, are implemented. It doesn't matter if
they're
hardware supported system threads or if they're Ruby green threads...

Not exactly. Ruby green threads aren't fully pre-emptive; they will only
pre-empt at the boundaries between execution steps, not within an
execution step.

Hence the single operations @array.pop and @array.push(...) are safe
against preemption. You could consider each method call to be wrapped
implicitly by Thread.critical { ... }

Joshua Ballanco

I don't think this is relevant. Concurrency isn't about how many
processors you use. Multitasking systems existed long before SMP
hardware
existed. Concurrency is about doing tasks concurrently. If you
have one
method running and it may be preempted by another method then they are
running concurrently. If the two methods share data then they may
corrupt
that data for each other. This is true regardless of how these
concurrencies, or threads, are implemented. It doesn't matter if
they're
hardware supported system threads or if they're Ruby green threads...

I think the key here is the granularity of Ruby's atomicity. You're
assuming that preemption can occur on the granularity of machine
instructions. Were that the case, two simultaneous threads on a single
core could, potentially, cause problems. I think what Matz was saying
is that, because of the GIL, simultaneous threads will only preempt at
a much higher granularity.

So I have a question for Matz and Charles: Would it be reasonable to
specify that YARV instructions should be atomic? Charles, how does
this work with JVM ops? Last I heard, JRuby was still skipping YARV
and going straight to Java bytecodes, which could make this a
difficult proposition. My completely uneducated guess, though, is that
unless we specify that certain implementation provided data structures
must be thread safe (at the very least Mutex), then there would have
to be a minimum level at which everything is atomic to be able to
write implementation independent thread-safe libraries.

- Josh

Charles Oliver Nutter

Joshua said:
I think the key here is the granularity of Ruby's atomicity. You're
assuming that preemption can occur on the granularity of machine
instructions. Were that the case, two simultaneous threads on a single
core could, potentially, cause problems. I think what Matz was saying is
that, because of the GIL, simultaneous threads will only preempt at a
much higher granularity.

And rarely within C-based code, unless that code explicitly yields
control to the thread scheduler. This also means that calls out to C
libraries have to be written to use asynchronous calls or they just
plain block all threads.

In JRuby, threads may preempt at any time, and indeed can and will run
"really" in parallel at any given time if the hardware supports it.
So I have a question for Matz and Charles: Would it be reasonable to
specify that YARV instructions should be atomic? Charles, how does this
work with JVM ops? Last I heard, JRuby was still skipping YARV and going
straight to Java bytecodes, which could make this a difficult
proposition. My completely uneducated guess, though, is that unless we
specify that certain implementation provided data structures must be
thread safe (at the very least Mutex), then there would have to be a
minimum level at which everything is atomic to be able to write
implementation independent thread-safe libraries.

Everything in the thread(.rb) library obviously has thread-safety as
part of its contract, so you don't have to worry about that. The core
collections (Array, String, Hash) do not have such guarantees explicitly
in their contract, and I believe they should stay that way since the
vast majority of uses are single-threaded. We (JRuby) have additionally
added locking (as smartly as possible) to ensure that method and
instance variable tables are thread-safe, since they're crucial to
Ruby's operation.

I don't think YARV instructions are good atomic units. In JRuby we can't
even (and won't even) guarantee individual Java bytecodes are atomic.
Nothing can be atomic unless you lock around it, and in most cases you
can't have atomicity and still allow code to execute in parallel. Plus
YARV instructions cover a wide range of things, some of which are
obviously not atomic like arbitrary method calls or test-and-set (||=,
&&=) logic. Atomicity and thread-safety should be specified on a
per-mutator basis for all the mutable structures in Ruby, rather than as
a blanket assertion.

- Charlie

Joel VanderWerf

Just said:
I don't think this is relevant. Concurrency isn't about how many
processors you use. Multitasking systems existed long before SMP hardware
existed. Concurrency is about doing tasks concurrently. If you have one
method running and it may be preempted by another method then they are
running concurrently. If the two methods share data then they may corrupt
that data for each other. This is true regardless of how these
concurrencies, or threads, are implemented. It doesn't matter if they're
hardware supported system threads or if they're Ruby green threads...

Keep in mind though that on smp systems, most instructions are not
atomic. On a single processor, they are.