Are ASP.NET user interfaces essentially dead now?

Rob R. Ainscough

I have plenty of .NET 2.0 framework apps that are smaller that some of the
web site pages my IE client has rendered and downloaded the appropriate
ActiveX component for. Framework apps are tiny so long as you have .NET 2.0
installed locally. And like I said Vista includes .NET 2.0

CJ

Hey, the web isn't dead... (isn't this web 2.0?) It wont get good
until version 3 right?

I think multi-core machines and gigabit networks are gonna make click
once obsolete before it gets any traction. Ok, i see some uses for it
but who wants to run all that code on the client across boundaries on
an unfriendly and easily hackable platform like .net. People dont like
to run local apps and ie should be better with v7. Id much rather
develop in flash and not worry about xhtml-this or css-that.

WinForms looks much nicer in 05 but do you really want every app you
write to look like office xp? Ever try to work out the logisitcs of
deploying a ie hosted control with anything other than high security?
That's why nobody uses it.

Kevin Spencer

I didn't say that, it is removing some of the load from one dated and over
extended technology into another that is more suited at the task.

Didn't say what? And what is removing what load from what dated and over
extended technology? You know, Rob, when I bought my cordless electric
drill, I didn't throw away all of my screwdrivers. There are still places
they can reach that the drill is simply to big for. I would hardly call them
"dated and over extended."
The goal is to use IE as little as possible and be more secure -- bring IE
back inline with its roots and original intent is a good thing.

What goal? A good chess player doesn't waste a turn, in which only one piece
can be moved, on achieving only one goal. The idea is to move each piece in
such a way that the most possible benefits can be gained from the move. And
a good chess player doesn't see the move that the opponent makes, and assume
that the opponent is trying to achieve only one thing by it.
But think about the interface technology and the end user -- I can't see
ASP.NET, HTML, etc. etc. surviving -- they invented Cache management,
place more things for the developer to think about that don't directly
apply to working complex solutions.

Bill Gates at one time couldn't see computers needing more than 1 megabyte
of RAM. That didn't mean that the possibility didn't exist. Not seeing
something, and its not being there are 2 entirely different things. As long
as the WWW exists, and as long as web sites proliferate, the need for
server-side web programming technology will continue to exist. Will the
standards change? Have they ever stopped changing? Will new technologies
emerge? Have they ever stopped emerging? A Jewish King named Solomon said it
best: "There is nothing new under the sun." And he said that about 4000
years ago. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
I just finish discussing clickonce technology with several large and small
clients and they instantly WANT IT NOW!

Anecdotal evidence and statistical evidence are 2 entirely different things,
and statistical evidence is much more reliable. In my experience, there are
many different types of clients, and many reasons for clients wanting
things. The reason they hire consultants is that they don't know enough
about technology to make the right decisions. It is important to remember
that exactly half the population of the world is below average in
intelligence. Fortunately for me, I am not among them. ;-)
I don't think you realize the frustrate end users go thru with their
client browsers -- they hate it and IT departs hate the support they have
to perform on it -- give IT a choice of a firewall setting vs. supporting
a client browser, they opt for the firewall setting every time -- life
would be so much simpler.

I don't realize what? Ehem. I have to DESIGN web pages, with all sorts of
gimcracks and gewgaws to make them user-friendly to people using all sorts
of browsers in all sorts of sizes and with all sorts of screen resolutions.
As for firewalls, I seriously doubt that many firewalls out there close port
80. And if you want to use ClickOnce, you still have to deal with network
issues, including firewalls. If you want a simple life, join the Amish. I
must admit, I occasionally find the option enticing. But who am I kidding? I
bore too easily. And besides, I wouldn't get paid the big bucks if
programming was simple.
But you point the exact flaw, XAML, AJAX, more and more and more of the
same -- lets just load up the server with as many services as possible til
64GB of memory and 4 64bit processors just isn't enough for the server to
even boot.

ROFLMOD! I can't even dignify this with a comment. But thoughts like
"artificial intelligence," "quantum processors," and "neural networks" keep
popping into my head.
ClickOnce is a lot more than pushing out the developer's favorite tool of
the day -- hey I'm in a Java mood today lets manage mgmt to convert over
to Java, oh now I'm in a ASP.NET mood, I'm bored now lets try Indigo, how
about XAML, everything has to be SOAP...it is getting silly. End result
is a business stuck with maintaining something that is now "out of
fashion".

You must be a young guy. You act as if this is something new. It's as new as
today's newspaper, which is new today, and history tomorrow. Take a look at
the history of computing. Did you know that there used to be only one
programming language? It was called "machine language." It was entered via
punch cards. And it was as simple as it gets. Then came the micro-processor.
Then came assembler. Then the higher level languages. Then came
multi-tasking, followed by multi-user computers, followed by graphic user
interfaces, followed by networks, followed by the Internet, followed by...
well, the road extends all the way from the first wheel to Jupiter, and
Beyond the Infinite.

Open the pod bay doors, HAL.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
You can lead a fish to a bicycle,
but you can't make it stink.

Brendan Reynolds

I still encounter users who are running Windows 95, Rob. At that rate, it
will be about ten years before I can begin to assume that users will be
running Vista or later.