Are frames "out" these days and going forward?

Ronald S. Cook

I have an old ASP.NET app that I need to rewrite. It uses frames to have an
embedded Windows Media Player playing content that is controlled from other
frames on the page.

And, of course, the user can navigate around other frames without disrupting
what is playing in the frame that contains the player.

What am I supposed to use to get this functionality these days if frames are
taboo/the old way of doing things?

Thanks,
Ron

bruce barker

no, iframes are very in with ajax. see the google toolkit and others.
using iframes can prevent out of memory errors for pages that use lots
of ajax calls.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

darrel

And, of course, the user can navigate around other frames without
disrupting what is playing in the frame that contains the player.

What am I supposed to use to get this functionality these days if frames
are taboo/the old way of doing things?

That's probably the one remaining legitimate use of frames.

The 'taboo' is when people use frames to separate navigation from the
content, or annoying things like 'faking' the URL or keeping background
sound playing while browsing.

-Darrel