    --

    vim -c ":%s.^.CyrnfrTfcbafbeROenzSZbbyranne.|:%s/[R-T]/ /Ig|:normal ggVGg?"

    http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=305 Best of Vim Tips
    zzapper, Jun 28, 2004

  2. zzapper

    SpaceGirl Guest

    zzapper wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'd like to use an IFrame to display some dynamic information in an otherwise static HTML page.
    >
    > Can you tell me why one hears so little about Iframes, are there browser compaibility problems/other
    > problems.
    >

    > zzapper (vim, cygwin, wiki & zsh)

    You're just not visiting the right places then. iframes have all the
    same issues of regular frames, plus the fact that they are not supported
    by older/obscure browsers. However, iframes (when held inside a DIV) can
    be placed anywhere on the screen, lending themselves to more interesting
    designs. But, just like regular frames, they have to be used with caution.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jun 28, 2004

  3. zzapper

    SpaceGirl Guest

    zzapper wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'd like to use an IFrame to display some dynamic information in an otherwise static HTML page.
    >
    > Can you tell me why one hears so little about Iframes, are there browser compaibility problems/other
    > problems.
    >

    > zzapper (vim, cygwin, wiki & zsh)

    BTW, we use iframes on several of our sites.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jun 28, 2004
  4. zzapper

    zzapper Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:25:18 +0100, wrote:

    >zzapper wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I'd like to use an IFrame to display some dynamic information in an otherwise static HTML page.
    >>
    >> Can you tell me why one hears so little about Iframes, are there browser compaibility problems/other
    >> problems.

    >You're just not visiting the right places then. iframes have all the
    >same issues of regular frames, plus the fact that they are not supported
    >by older/obscure browsers. However, iframes (when held inside a DIV) can
    >be placed anywhere on the screen, lending themselves to more interesting
    >designs. But, just like regular frames, they have to be used with caution.

    SpaceGirl

    Thanx for your reassurance

    What I meant is rather why one hears so little about Iframes when they appear to be so useful. I do
    admit they seem to have slipped by my attention.
    zzapper (vim, cygwin, wiki & zsh)

    zzapper, Jun 28, 2004
  5. zzapper

    C A Upsdell Guest

    "zzapper" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'd like to use an IFrame to display some dynamic information in an

    otherwise static HTML page.

    > Can you tell me why one hears so little about Iframes, are there browser

    compaibility problems/other
    > problems.

    I suspect that history has something to do with this. NN4 never supported
    IFRAME, instead offering non-standard HTML to accomplish something similar.
    This may have made designers averse to using IFRAME.
    C A Upsdell, Jun 28, 2004
  6. zzapper

    zzapper Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:52:58 GMT, wrote:

    >"zzapper" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I'd like to use an IFrame to display some dynamic information in an

    >otherwise static HTML page.
    >>
    >> Can you tell me why one hears so little about Iframes, are there browser

    >compaibility problems/other
    >> problems.

    >I suspect that history has something to do with this. NN4 never supported
    >IFRAME, instead offering non-standard HTML to accomplish something similar.
    >This may have made designers averse to using IFRAME.

    Is there a javascript check/trick that can reveal if a browser will be iframe compatible?. Or is it
    safe enough to to ignore the non-compatible browsers?
    zzapper (vim, cygwin, wiki & zsh)

    zzapper, Jun 28, 2004
  7. zzapper

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    zzapper <> wrote:

    > I'd like to use an IFrame to display some dynamic information in an otherwise
    > static HTML page.
    >
    > Can you tell me why one hears so little about Iframes, are there browser
    > compaibility problems/other
    > problems.

    Why not use CSS to display a scrollable area? Not the problems of frames
    and degrades better. (CSS gets ignored when not supported) One has to
    wonder though if scrollable little islands in a window are a pleasure to
    use by the visitor. I personally don't like them.

    #foo {
    width: 300px;
    height: 300px;
    overflow: auto;
    border: 1px solid #000;
    }

    ...lots of stuff..

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)
    Kris, Jun 28, 2004
  8. zzapper

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi,
    > I'd like to use an IFrame to display some dynamic information in an otherwise static HTML page.
    > Can you tell me why one hears so little about Iframes, are there browser compaibility problems/other
    > problems.

    Go to the store, buy a can of worms, and open it.... The results are
    about the same.

    Some think there is never a place for any kind of frame. Others
    (like myself) think there is a time and a place for everything.

    Search the group for iframes and you will be rewarded with numerous
    arguments from both sides.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jun 29, 2004
  9. zzapper

    Kathy Guest

    "zzapper" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'd like to use an IFrame to display some dynamic information in an

    otherwise static HTML page.

    > Can you tell me why one hears so little about Iframes, are there browser

    compaibility problems/other
    > problems.

    Try this:
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/iframe.html