    Do visiting search engines understand a mix of words from multiple languages ?

    Can I enter speical chars like the german "Ä" directly or do I have to type &Auml; inside the META-Tags ?

    Wladi

    Wladimir Borsov, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Wladimir Borsov wrote:

    > Assume I declare at the top of a HTML page:

    > This refers to english HTML content/syntax.

    You believe wrong. It does not specify a (human) language at all. That's
    not what DOCTYPEs are for.

    To specify the language of the document do one or more of:

    1. Set the "Content-Language" HTTP header.
    2. Use a http-equiv="Content-Language" <meta> tag.
    3. Set the lang attribute on the <html> element.

    > Can I enter speical chars like the german "Ä" directly or do I have to
    > type &Auml; inside the META-Tags ?

    This is an unrelated matter and has to do with the character set specified
    on the page -- not the language. To specify which character set you are
    using, do on of more of the following:

    1. Add a charset attribute to the "Content-Type" HTTP header.
    2. Use a http-equiv="Content-Type" <meta> tag and specify a charset
    attribute similarly.

    However, entities and character references, such as "&Auml;" should work
    all the time: doesn't matter which charset you're using.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jan 28, 2004