Are MS Assemblies in the GAC?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Gery D. Dorazio, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. I want to create strongly signed support assemblies so they can be shared by
    different ASP.NET web apps. This requires that they be installed into the
    Global Assembly Cache. To be installed in the GAC means the assemblies must
    be signed with a strong name. But according to MS documention: "...Remember
    that once you give an assembly a strong name, all assemblies that reference
    that assembly also have to have a strong name."

    When I develop an ASP.NET web app and the various references point to
    System, System.Drawing, System.Web,...etc. I was under the impression that
    the MS libraries were in the GAC. Is this true(which means they are signed)?
    If so, this would appear to contradict the MS statement.

    The goal is to deploy assemblies into the GAC so they can be shared by
    different web apps which means they have to be signed with strong names. So
    can I still build the different web sites and not sign them while still
    referencing the strongly signed assemblies?

    Can someone clear this up?

    Thanks,
    Gery

    --
    Gery D. Dorazio
    Development Engineer

    EnQue Corporation
    1334 Queens Road
    Charlotte, NC 28207
    (704) 377-3327
    Gery D. Dorazio, Feb 7, 2005

  2. "Gery D. Dorazio" <> wrote in message
    >I want to create strongly signed support assemblies so they can be shared
    >by different ASP.NET web apps. This requires that they be installed into
    >the Global Assembly Cache. To be installed in the GAC means the assemblies
    >must be signed with a strong name. But according to MS documention:
    >"...Remember that once you give an assembly a strong name, all assemblies
    >that reference that assembly also have to have a strong name."

    If that's straight out of the documentation, the docs have it wrong. A
    strongly named assembly can only reference strongly named assemblies, but
    assemblies that are not strongly named can reference both strongly named and
    non-strongly named assemblies. If this weren't the case, no non-strongly
    named apps would work since they all reference strongly named Microsoft
    assemblies.

    > When I develop an ASP.NET web app and the various references point to
    > System, System.Drawing, System.Web,...etc. I was under the impression that
    > the MS libraries were in the GAC. Is this true(which means they are
    > signed)? If so, this would appear to contradict the MS statement.

    You're right, and the statement is wrong.

    > The goal is to deploy assemblies into the GAC so they can be shared by
    > different web apps which means they have to be signed with strong names.
    > So can I still build the different web sites and not sign them while still
    > referencing the strongly signed assemblies?

    Yes.

    Nicole Calinoiu, Feb 7, 2005

  3. Thanks Nicole,

    Gery