are 'mutable' and 'volatile' a Storage Classes in C++?

James Kanze

Mutable is but volatile is not (volatile is a qualifier).

I might add that already in C, "storage class" was sort of a
catch-all, playing more of a syntactic role than anything else:
in C, typedef was a "storage class", for example. C++ moved
typedef out of the storage class category, but then added a
number of other things, and it's still more or less a catch-all;
the words "storage class" themselves only apply semantically to
most of the members, some of the time. (Declaring a variable at
namespace scope "static", for example, doesn't change anything
with regards to how it is stored.)