are poor people the only ones who have their own web servers?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by David, Oct 24, 2007.

  1. David

    David Guest

    i bought a domain from aplus.net (****-godaddy.com; can't say i was
    surprised that i couldn't register it through godaddy..). anyway,
    then i started getting emails from Sam Rooney <> trying
    to sell me a hosting package. i run my own server, and kept telling
    him i didn't need the service. then he decided to say this:

    People with high incomes can afford paying for a dedicated server.
    Their time is precious and they do not get their hands dirty for doing
    something manually. People with low incomes can not afford paying for
    a server, and that is why they think of various excuses to justify
    hosting a website at home.
    If you have money, you will purchase a dedicated server.

    i'm posting this all over the place on web design and server admin
    groups. feel free to tell Mr. Rooney that money doesn't equate to
    needing a third-party to host a website. :)

    theneonlobster
    David, Oct 24, 2007

  2. David

    SAZ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > i bought a domain from aplus.net (****-godaddy.com; can't say i was
    > surprised that i couldn't register it through godaddy..). anyway,
    > then i started getting emails from Sam Rooney <> trying
    > to sell me a hosting package. i run my own server, and kept telling
    > him i didn't need the service. then he decided to say this:
    >
    > People with high incomes can afford paying for a dedicated server.
    > Their time is precious and they do not get their hands dirty for doing
    > something manually. People with low incomes can not afford paying for
    > a server, and that is why they think of various excuses to justify
    > hosting a website at home.
    > If you have money, you will purchase a dedicated server.
    >
    > i'm posting this all over the place on web design and server admin
    > groups. feel free to tell Mr. Rooney that money doesn't equate to
    > needing a third-party to host a website. :)
    >
    > theneonlobster

    I don't think I understand the purpose of this posting. Don't you have
    anything better to do than post in multiple groups?

    If Mr. Rooney insulted you, then leave - don't expect us to do your
    dirty work.
    SAZ, Oct 24, 2007

  3. SAZ wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...

    [babble]

    > I don't think I understand the purpose of this posting. Don't you have
    > anything better to do than post in multiple groups?

    Just keeping his Google Groper "skills" practiced up. :)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Oct 24, 2007
  4. David

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 23 Oct 2007 23:51:08 GMT
    David scribed:

    > i bought a domain from aplus.net (****-godaddy.com; can't say i was
    > surprised that i couldn't register it through godaddy..). anyway,
    > then i started getting emails from Sam Rooney <> trying
    > to sell me a hosting package. i run my own server, and kept telling
    > him i didn't need the service. then he decided to say this:
    >
    > People with high incomes can afford paying for a dedicated server.
    > Their time is precious and they do not get their hands dirty for doing
    > something manually. People with low incomes can not afford paying for
    > a server, and that is why they think of various excuses to justify
    > hosting a website at home.
    > If you have money, you will purchase a dedicated server.
    >
    > i'm posting this all over the place on web design and server admin
    > groups. feel free to tell Mr. Rooney that money doesn't equate to
    > needing a third-party to host a website. :)

    I really can't understand why you find that so offensive. It may not have
    been the most deft of comments but it was hardly a falsehood or obfuscation
    of the world-class sort one might expect from Gates or Bush.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Just a boogar in the nose of life.
    Neredbojias, Oct 24, 2007
  5. Neredbojias wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 23 Oct 2007 23:51:08 GMT
    > David scribed:
    >
    >> i bought a domain from aplus.net (****-godaddy.com; can't say i was
    >> surprised that i couldn't register it through godaddy..). anyway,
    >> then i started getting emails from Sam Rooney <> trying
    >> to sell me a hosting package. i run my own server, and kept telling
    >> him i didn't need the service. then he decided to say this:
    >>
    >> People with high incomes can afford paying for a dedicated server.
    >> Their time is precious and they do not get their hands dirty for doing
    >> something manually. People with low incomes can not afford paying for
    >> a server, and that is why they think of various excuses to justify
    >> hosting a website at home.
    >> If you have money, you will purchase a dedicated server.
    >>
    >> i'm posting this all over the place on web design and server admin
    >> groups. feel free to tell Mr. Rooney that money doesn't equate to
    >> needing a third-party to host a website. :)

    > I really can't understand why you find that so offensive.

    He's poor.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 24, 2007
  6. David

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 24 Oct 2007 19:46:39
    GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

    >>> i'm posting this all over the place on web design and server admin
    >>> groups. feel free to tell Mr. Rooney that money doesn't equate to
    >>> needing a third-party to host a website. :)

    >> I really can't understand why you find that so offensive.

    > He's poor.

    He's poor? Well so am I, and you don't hear me going around crying like a,
    a..., uh..., er... Um, I guess you do at that.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Just a boogar in the proboscis of life.
    Neredbojias, Oct 24, 2007
  7. Neredbojias wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 24 Oct 2007 19:46:39
    > GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

    >>> I really can't understand why you find that so offensive.

    >> He's poor.

    > He's poor? Well so am I, and you don't hear me going around crying like a,
    > a..., uh..., er... Um, I guess you do at that.

    :)

    Well, I can't figure out any other reason he'd get a stick up his ass
    about that.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 24, 2007
  8. David

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 24 Oct 2007 22:15:23
    GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

    >>> He's poor.

    >> He's poor? Well so am I, and you don't hear me going around crying
    >> like a, a..., uh..., er... Um, I guess you do at that.

    >:)
    >
    > Well, I can't figure out any other reason he'd get a stick up his ass
    > about that.

    Now I'm hungry. Your comment reminded me of shish-kabob.

    Anyway, I guess we all whine a little now 'n agin. At least us guys come
    off a lot better than broads who are incessantly moaning about something or
    t'other. I subscribe to the old adage "Women should be seen and not
    heard". Of course you might not have the same problem since women fish
    probably can't do much more than gurgle or cavitate.

    Neredbojias, Oct 25, 2007
  9. Neredbojias wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 24 Oct 2007 22:15:23
    > GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

    >>> He's poor? Well so am I, and you don't hear me going around crying
    >>> like a, a..., uh..., er... Um, I guess you do at that.

    >>:)
    >>
    >> Well, I can't figure out any other reason he'd get a stick up his ass
    >> about that.

    > Now I'm hungry. Your comment reminded me of shish-kabob.
    >
    > Anyway, I guess we all whine a little now 'n agin. At least us guys come
    > off a lot better than broads who are incessantly moaning about something or
    > t'other. I subscribe to the old adage "Women should be seen and not
    > heard". Of course you might not have the same problem since women fish
    > probably can't do much more than gurgle or cavitate.

    We consider that the result of /more/ evolution.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 25, 2007
  10. David

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 25 Oct 2007 06:33:53
    GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

    >> Anyway, I guess we all whine a little now 'n agin. At least us guys
    >> come off a lot better than broads who are incessantly moaning about
    >> something or t'other. I subscribe to the old adage "Women should be
    >> seen and not heard". Of course you might not have the same problem
    >> since women fish probably can't do much more than gurgle or cavitate.

    > We consider that the result of /more/ evolution.

    Oh, I quite agree. Anything that gets a blithering woman to shut up is
    progress. Perhaps in the future of terrestial civilization, the judicial
    branches of the more progressive governments will impliment "gag orders" to
    repeat offenders in a more literal manner than is currently the case...

    Yeah, I know. Dream on...

    Neredbojias, Oct 25, 2007
  11. David

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    >i bought a domain from aplus.net (****-godaddy.com; can't say i was
    > surprised that i couldn't register it through godaddy..). anyway,
    > then i started getting emails from Sam Rooney <> trying
    > to sell me a hosting package. i run my own server, and kept telling
    > him i didn't need the service. then he decided to say this:
    >
    > People with high incomes can afford paying for a dedicated server.
    > Their time is precious and they do not get their hands dirty for doing
    > something manually. People with low incomes can not afford paying for
    > a server, and that is why they think of various excuses to justify
    > hosting a website at home.
    > If you have money, you will purchase a dedicated server.
    >
    > i'm posting this all over the place on web design and server admin
    > groups. feel free to tell Mr. Rooney that money doesn't equate to
    > needing a third-party to host a website. :)

    It probably works out cheaper to use a SHARED host than to run your own
    dedicated host at home. Don't misunderstand me, I run my own server at home
    too, and it gives me a great deal of flexibility - but I don't use it for
    any of my serious websites. Early in the year I bought myself one of those
    gadgets for measuring how much electricity devices are using, when I came to
    measure how much electricity my server (server, ups, router & cable modem)
    were using it became clear why my electricity bill was so high. That said,
    its still cheaper to run a server at home than pay for a dedicated server
    although clearly you won't have the same bandwidth at home as would/should
    be available for a dedicated server.

    As for what you were told, it sounds like a salesman trying to shame you
    into buying their hosting services. If you feel bad about the treatment
    you've received then I suggest posting to webhostingtalk.com instead of
    airing on newsgroups.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Oct 25, 2007
  12. David

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 24 Oct, 15:49, Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > I really can't understand why you find that so offensive. It may not have
    > been the most deft of comments but it was hardly a falsehood or obfuscation

    It certainly is obfuscation, because they've constructed a false
    dilemma and dressed it up as the law of the excluded middle.

    Their position is that you can choose EITHER: dedicated servers
    (expensive) or self-hosting (unreliable).

    The reality is that there's a perfectly satisfactory middle ground of
    shared-server hosting. This is both cheap and reliable. So long as
    your demands are modest, then it suits most sites (and the majority of
    sites are static and modest) very well.
    Andy Dingley, Oct 25, 2007
  13. David

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 25 Oct 2007 09:34:17
    GMT Andy Dingley scribed:

    > On 24 Oct, 15:49, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >
    >> I really can't understand why you find that so offensive. It may not
    >> have been the most deft of comments but it was hardly a falsehood or
    >> obfuscation

    > It certainly is obfuscation, because they've constructed a false
    > dilemma and dressed it up as the law of the excluded middle.
    >
    > Their position is that you can choose EITHER: dedicated servers
    > (expensive) or self-hosting (unreliable).
    >
    > The reality is that there's a perfectly satisfactory middle ground of
    > shared-server hosting. This is both cheap and reliable. So long as
    > your demands are modest, then it suits most sites (and the majority of
    > sites are static and modest) very well.

    Bah! Not addressing "the middle" does not equate to excluding it. Here
    is the relevant portion of the OP's original message:

    ....then he decided to say this:

    People with high incomes can afford paying for a dedicated server.
    Their time is precious and they do not get their hands dirty for doing
    something manually. People with low incomes can not afford paying for
    a server, and that is why they think of various excuses to justify
    hosting a website at home.
    If you have money, you will purchase a dedicated server.

    Zilch was said one way or the other about people with moderate incomes.
    I find nothing larcenious in the remark and believe the OP was merely
    being over-sensitive in conjunction a less-than-excellent logical
    perspective. You may not agree with the conclusion of the referenced
    remark (and I don't), but it isn't a scam or spam or anything seriously
    untoward, and it wasn't obfuscated in the least.

    Neredbojias, Oct 25, 2007