    incorporated into the RSS feed once the site itself is updated?

    Thanks.
    --Mella
    Mike Mella, Dec 11, 2003

  2. On 11 Dec 2003 09:25:30 -0800,
    Mike Mella <> wrote:
    > If I make an RSS feed of my site, am I expected to build and later
    > update the RSS (XML) data by hand as I would any other webpage, or is
    > there some process by which updates to a site are automatically
    > incorporated into the RSS feed once the site itself is updated?

    A client retrieving an RSS feed has no way of knowing whether it was a
    static file or was dynamically generated, so what you do makes no difference
    to clients. It will make a difference to *you*, of course; updating an RSS
    feed by hand is tedious and likely to be a source of errors (forgetting to
    update it, making a typo while hand-editing). Most sites generate
    their RSS feeds automatically for this reason, but if you don't mind the
    extra work, you can certainly maintain a feed by hand.

    --amk
    A.M. Kuchling, Dec 15, 2003

  3. Mike Mella

    Mike Mella Guest

    Without getting into too much detail, how are RSS feeds dynamically
    updated? I mean what programming language/tool is usually used?
    --Mella

    Mike Mella, Dec 16, 2003
  4. Mike Mella wrote:

    > Without getting into too much detail, how are RSS feeds dynamically
    > updated? I mean what programming language/tool is usually used?

    Since RSS feeds are XML files, you can use whatever tool you like, including
    servlets, CGI scripts written in any programming language, server modules,
    anything. XSLT would seem a natural choice if your input is available in XML.

    --
    Klaus Johannes Rusch

    http://www.atmedia.net/KlausRusch/
    Klaus Johannes Rusch, Dec 16, 2003
  5. Mike Mella

    Richard Guest

    Mike Mella <> wrote in message news:<W1uDb.12092$>...
    > Without getting into too much detail, how are RSS feeds dynamically
    > updated? I mean what programming language/tool is usually used?
    > --Mella

    In one of my sites i use asp to generate the new feed every 24hours,
    its pretty easy to do them dynamically.

    For the more static feeds i use Broadcast Builder
    (www.lionhardt.com/bb)
    Richard, Dec 16, 2003
  6. Mike Mella

    Hook Guest

    On 16 Dec 2003 10:52:22 -0800, (Richard) wrote:

    >Mike Mella <> wrote in message news:<W1uDb.12092$>...
    >> Without getting into too much detail, how are RSS feeds dynamically
    >> updated? I mean what programming language/tool is usually used?
    >> --Mella

    >In one of my sites i use asp to generate the new feed every 24hours,
    >its pretty easy to do them dynamically.
    >
    >For the more static feeds i use Broadcast Builder
    >(www.lionhardt.com/bb)

    I generate new feeds whenever database content changes which happens
    at least once per day, often more. I just use a hand written piece of
    Perl, after all the structure is simple enough.
    --
    The Hooker
    "I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it"
    Hook, Dec 17, 2003