Are SSL certificates and x.509 certificates the same?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by n33470, Dec 14, 2005.

  1. n33470

    n33470 Guest

    Hi all,

    This is probably a total newbie question, but I'll fire anyway....let
    the flames begin.

    Is an SSL certificate and an x.509 certificate the same thing?

    Here's what I'm really wondering. We already have SSL certificates
    installed on our production web servers to allow secure access to our
    standard websites through https. If I deploy webservices to those
    same servers with the intention of using WSE 3.0's
    UsernameOverCertificate assertion, will I need to install or configure
    anything additional on those web servers to get the certificate
    encryption to work?

    Assuming that an SSL cert and an x.509 cert are different....can anyone

    tell me exactly what product from Verisign I need to purchase to use as

    an x.509 certificate.

    Thanks!

    --steve
    n33470, Dec 14, 2005