Are SSL certificates and x.509 certificates the same?

n33470

Hi all,

This is probably a total newbie question, but I'll fire anyway....let
the flames begin.

Is an SSL certificate and an x.509 certificate the same thing?

Here's what I'm really wondering. We already have SSL certificates
installed on our production web servers to allow secure access to our
standard websites through https. If I deploy webservices to those
same servers with the intention of using WSE 3.0's
UsernameOverCertificate assertion, will I need to install or configure
anything additional on those web servers to get the certificate
encryption to work?

Assuming that an SSL cert and an x.509 cert are different....can anyone

tell me exactly what product from Verisign I need to purchase to use as

an x.509 certificate.

Thanks!

--steve