Are there any differences between 'Synplicity VHDL compiler, v1.0, b. 074R' and GHDL compiler?

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Merciadri Luca, Oct 13, 2010.

    Merciadri Luca, Oct 13, 2010

  2. Merciadri Luca

    backhus Guest

    Re: Are there any differences between 'Synplicity VHDL compiler,v1.0, b. 074R' and GHDL compiler?

    On 13 Okt., 12:00, Merciadri Luca <>
    wrote:

    Hi,
    Synplicity(now owned by Synopsys) tools (namely Synplify) are for
    synthesis. They have a comercial license.
    GHDL is an open source simulation tool.

    Have a nice synthesis
    Eilert
    backhus, Oct 14, 2010

    > Hi,
    > Synplicity(now owned by Synopsys) tools (namely Synplify) are for
    > synthesis. They have a comercial license.
    > GHDL is an open source simulation tool.

    Yes, but do they do the same things? Is one more limited than another?

    > Have a nice synthesis

    Thanks!

    - --
    Merciadri Luca
    - --
    - --

    You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it
    today. (Abraham Lincoln)
    Merciadri Luca, Oct 14, 2010
  4. Merciadri Luca

    Chris Higgs Guest

    Re: Are there any differences between 'Synplicity VHDL compiler,v1.0, b. 074R' and GHDL compiler?

    On Oct 14, 8:13 am, Merciadri Luca <>
    wrote:

    > Yes, but do they do the same things? Is one more limited than another?

    They will certainly be different. Finding out what the specific
    differences, limitations and bugs are may be near impossible though!

    In theory the VHDL LRM (Language Reference Manual) provides sufficient
    information for all compilers to behave identically (assuming they are
    LRM compliant) regardless of the underlying implementation details.
    Tool vendors will usually claim compliance to a particular version of
    the standard with certain exceptions. AFAIK no tool vendors fully
    support VHDL-2008 yet.

    In practice, you will find that certain tools require work-arounds to
    navigate deficiencies and bugs. The way the Xilinx tools handle
    libraries and record types appears to be a poorly executed
    afterthought, though the new parser improves matters slightly. All
    tools have their own niggles and foibles to discover - not always a
    fun experience.

    Chris
    Chris Higgs, Oct 14, 2010
  5. Merciadri Luca

    KJ Guest

    Re: Are there any differences between 'Synplicity VHDL compiler,v1.0, b. 074R' and GHDL compiler?

    > > Hi,
    > > Synplicity(now owned by Synopsys) tools (namely Synplify) are for
    > > synthesis. They have a comercial license.
    > > GHDL is an open source simulation tool.

    > Yes, but do they do the same things? Is one more limited than another?
    >
    > > Have a nice synthesis

    Perhaps take 30 minutes and read up about what the different tools
    do. One hint: Synplify and GHDL perform completely different tasks.
    The only common element is that the input is VHDL.

    KJ
    KJ, Oct 14, 2010
    Merciadri Luca, Oct 14, 2010