Are there any *genuinely* free hit counters?

Bob Thomas

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???

There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see one which
really is.

Thanks in advance .......

Bob T.

SpaceGirl

Bob said:
Hi,

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???

There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see one which
really is.

Thanks in advance .......

Bob T.

Write your own? It's not complicated, and very free :)

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Els

Bob said:
Hi,

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely
free, no strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret
purpose, nothing to worry about and yet effective web hits
counter ???

There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see
one which really is.

Thanks in advance .......

http://www.statcounter.com/

Completely invisible if you want, completely free, nice stats,
but: only the last 100 pageviews show, unless you go for the
paid package.

Donald Link

Lets see! I have FrontPage 2003 and after the intial cost I have 5
FREE hit counter.

SpaceGirl

Bob said:
Er ... sounds good ....... but how? Is there a simple code i can copy
from somewhere?

Bob T.

<cheeky cow>heh, well that wouldn't be writing your own now would it?
</cheeky cow> :)

I dunno... I use webtrends on my server (which is not free). I have a
couple of pages that track access via a database (because the pages are
database generated anyway), and that's done in ASP.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

Donald said:
Lets see! I have FrontPage 2003 and after the intial cost I have 5
FREE hit counter.

They're all client side or require frontpage support at your server
and/or activeX. None of which are supported in combination in the WWW
these days. FP is terrible.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Peter - nativespace hosting

Bob said:
Hi,

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???

There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see one which
really is.

Thanks in advance .......

Bob T.

What kind of server are you on?

Snake Lady

Bob said:
Hi,

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???

There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see one which
really is.

Thanks in advance .......

Bob T.

http://www.nedstat.com/f35e34_index.htm

Hywel Jenkins

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???

There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see one which
really is.

What do you want a hit counter for? Ask your host for traffic stats
instead.

Bob Thomas

No more limited than a hit counter would be, surely?

I just had a brief look at their counter option but it seems very
dated and not something that they are devoting much energy to - it's
only a small ISP so i guess that's reasonable. You get what you pay
for, and i don't pay much.

Bob T.

Donald Link

Chill out. Most web masters want the visitors to see the hit counter.
Quess you will have to let visitors have access to webmaster files.

Hywel Jenkins

Chill out. Most web masters want the visitors to see the hit counter.

Don't talk such tosh.

Quess you will have to let visitors have access to webmaster files.

Rubbish.

When ever someone describes them selves as a "web master" I know they're
either a clueless newbie, or the sort of web developer that will mean
that in a couple of months their client will be talking to me to fix the
problems.

Karl Core

Chill out. Most web masters want the visitors to see the hit counter.
Quess you will have to let visitors have access to webmaster files.

a. Stop top-posting
b. Showing a hit counter is a lame newbie practice. *Not one* site I've ever
seen which has a hit counter actually has enough traffic to be bragging
about.