    really is.

    Thanks in advance .......

    Bob T.

    Bob Thomas, Jan 6, 2005

  2. Bob Thomas

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Bob Thomas wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
    > strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
    > worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???
    >
    > There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see one which
    > really is.
    >
    > Thanks in advance .......
    >
    > Bob T.

    Write your own? It's not complicated, and very free :)

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 6, 2005

  3. Bob Thomas

    Els Guest

    Bob Thomas wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely
    > free, no strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret
    > purpose, nothing to worry about and yet effective web hits
    > counter ???
    >
    > There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see
    > one which really is.
    >
    > Thanks in advance .......

    http://www.statcounter.com/

    Completely invisible if you want, completely free, nice stats,
    but: only the last 100 pageviews show, unless you go for the
    paid package.

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Jan 6, 2005
  4. Bob Thomas

    Donald Link Guest

    Lets see! I have FrontPage 2003 and after the intial cost I have 5
    FREE hit counter.

    Donald Link, Jan 6, 2005
  5. Bob Thomas

    Bob Thomas Guest

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:11:23 +0000, SpaceGirl
    <> wrote:

    >> Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
    >> strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
    >> worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???

    >Write your own? It's not complicated, and very free :)

    Er ... sounds good ....... but how? Is there a simple code i can copy
    from somewhere?

    Bob T.

    Bob Thomas, Jan 6, 2005
  6. Bob Thomas

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Bob Thomas wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:11:23 +0000, SpaceGirl
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>>Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
    >>>strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
    >>>worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???

    >>Write your own? It's not complicated, and very free :)

    > Er ... sounds good ....... but how? Is there a simple code i can copy
    > from somewhere?
    >
    > Bob T.

    <cheeky cow>heh, well that wouldn't be writing your own now would it?
    </cheeky cow> :)

    I dunno... I use webtrends on my server (which is not free). I have a
    couple of pages that track access via a database (because the pages are
    database generated anyway), and that's done in ASP.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 6, 2005
  7. Bob Thomas

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Donald Link wrote:
    > Lets see! I have FrontPage 2003 and after the intial cost I have 5
    > FREE hit counter.
    >
    > On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:08:56 +1100, Bob Thomas
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
    >>strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
    >>worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???
    >>
    >>There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see one which
    >>really is.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance .......
    >>
    >>Bob T.

    They're all client side or require frontpage support at your server
    and/or activeX. None of which are supported in combination in the WWW
    these days. FP is terrible.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 6, 2005
  8. Bob Thomas

    jake Guest

    In message <Xns95D672116858DEls@130.133.1.4>, Els
    <> writes
    >Bob Thomas wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely
    >> free, no strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret
    >> purpose, nothing to worry about and yet effective web hits
    >> counter ???
    >>
    >> There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see
    >> one which really is.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance .......

    >http://www.statcounter.com/
    >
    >Completely invisible if you want, completely free, nice stats,
    >but: only the last 100 pageviews show, unless you go for the
    >paid package.

    Yes, I'll second that.

    As Els says "nice stats" -- a lot of it in graphical form:
    e.g. http://www.gododdin.demon.co.uk/ng/js/JS.JPG (75k)

    regards.

    --
    Jake

    jake, Jan 6, 2005
  9. Bob Thomas wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
    > strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
    > worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???
    >
    > There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see one which
    > really is.
    >
    > Thanks in advance .......
    >
    > Bob T.

    What kind of server are you on?

    --
    nativespace - Web Hosting and Domain Names
    Providers of Advanced, Affordable UK Web Hosting Since 2001

    Peter - nativespace hosting, Jan 6, 2005
  10. Bob Thomas

    Snake Lady Guest

    http://www.nedstat.com/f35e34_index.htm

    Snake Lady, Jan 6, 2005
  11. In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
    > strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
    > worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???
    >
    > There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see one which
    > really is.

    What do you want a hit counter for? Ask your host for traffic stats
    instead.

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 6, 2005
  12. Bob Thomas

    Bob Thomas Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:53:32 -0000, Hywel Jenkins
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
    >> strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
    >> worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???
    >>
    >> There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see one which
    >> really is.

    >What do you want a hit counter for? Ask your host for traffic stats
    >instead.

    Not a bad idea, but their options are a bit limited I'm afraid. 8*(

    Bob Thomas, Jan 6, 2005
  13. Bob Thomas

    Bob Thomas Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:48:24 -0000, "Peter - nativespace hosting"
    <> wrote:

    >Bob Thomas wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
    >> strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
    >> worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???
    >>
    >> There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see one which
    >> really is.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance .......
    >>
    >> Bob T.

    >What kind of server are you on?

    Hmmm ... I give up - no idea. I'm not exactly familiar with server
    types I'm afraid. How do i tell ??

    Bob T.

    Bob Thomas, Jan 6, 2005
  14. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:53:32 -0000, Hywel Jenkins
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
    > >> strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
    > >> worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???
    > >>
    > >> There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see one which
    > >> really is.

    > >What do you want a hit counter for? Ask your host for traffic stats
    > >instead.

    > Not a bad idea, but their options are a bit limited I'm afraid. 8*(

    No more limited than a hit counter would be, surely?

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 6, 2005
  15. Bob Thomas

    Bob Thomas Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:38:07 +0000, jake <>
    wrote:

    >>> Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely
    >>> free, no strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret
    >>> purpose, nothing to worry about and yet effective web hits
    >>> counter ???
    >>>
    >>> There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see
    >>> one which really is.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance .......

    >>http://www.statcounter.com/
    >>
    >>Completely invisible if you want, completely free, nice stats,
    >>but: only the last 100 pageviews show, unless you go for the
    >>paid package.
    >>

    >Yes, I'll second that.

    I'll give it a go until I figure out how to write my own code (as
    suggested in another thread) - thanks guys!

    Bob T.

    Bob Thomas, Jan 6, 2005
  16. Bob Thomas

    Bob Thomas Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 21:21:14 -0000, Hywel Jenkins
    <> wrote:

    >> >What do you want a hit counter for? Ask your host for traffic stats
    >> >instead.

    >> Not a bad idea, but their options are a bit limited I'm afraid. 8*(

    >No more limited than a hit counter would be, surely?

    I just had a brief look at their counter option but it seems very
    dated and not something that they are devoting much energy to - it's
    only a small ISP so i guess that's reasonable. You get what you pay
    for, and i don't pay much.

    Bob T.

    Bob Thomas, Jan 6, 2005
  17. Bob Thomas

    Donald Link Guest

    Chill out. Most web masters want the visitors to see the hit counter.
    Quess you will have to let visitors have access to webmaster files.

    Donald Link, Jan 7, 2005
  18. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:53:32 -0000, Hywel Jenkins
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
    > >> strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
    > >> worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???
    > >>
    > >> There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see one which
    > >> really is.

    > >What do you want a hit counter for? Ask your host for traffic stats
    > >instead.

    > Chill out. Most web masters want the visitors to see the hit counter.

    Don't talk such tosh.

    > Quess you will have to let visitors have access to webmaster files.

    Rubbish.

    When ever someone describes them selves as a "web master" I know they're
    either a clueless newbie, or the sort of web developer that will mean
    that in a couple of months their client will be talking to me to fix the
    problems.

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 7, 2005
  19. Bob Thomas wrote:
    > On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:48:24 -0000, "Peter - nativespace hosting"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Bob Thomas wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
    >>> strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
    >>> worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???
    >>>
    >>> There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see one which
    >>> really is.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance .......
    >>>
    >>> Bob T.

    >> What kind of server are you on?

    > Hmmm ... I give up - no idea. I'm not exactly familiar with server
    > types I'm afraid. How do i tell ??
    >
    > Bob T.

    You could ask your host. If you are on a Linux server, for example, you
    could look for a PHP script (like the ones here
    http://www.scriptsearch.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Counters/)

    Good luck,
    Pete

    Peter - nativespace hosting, Jan 7, 2005
  20. Bob Thomas

    Karl Core Guest

    "Donald Link" <> wrote in message

    > On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:53:32 -0000, Hywel Jenkins
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a genuinely free, no
    >>> strings attached, no links to anyone, no secret purpose, nothing to
    >>> worry about and yet effective web hits counter ???
    >>>
    >>> There seem to be many "free" ones, but I have yet to see one which
    >>> really is.

    >>What do you want a hit counter for? Ask your host for traffic stats
    >>instead.

    > Chill out. Most web masters want the visitors to see the hit counter.
    > Quess you will have to let visitors have access to webmaster files.

    a. Stop top-posting
    b. Showing a hit counter is a lame newbie practice. *Not one* site I've ever
    seen which has a hit counter actually has enough traffic to be bragging
    about.

    --
    -Karl Core
    Please Support "Project Boneyard":