    Steve Guest

    I wanted to know if there were any decent sites out there that have
    tutorials for creating perl programs on cell phones.
    Steve, Mar 29, 2010

  2. >>>>> "Steve" == Steve <> writes:

    Steve> I wanted to know if there were any decent sites out there that have
    Steve> tutorials for creating perl programs on cell phones.

    What cell phones support Perl?

    Randal L. Schwartz, Mar 29, 2010

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Re: Are there any good tutorials for writing perl cell phoneprograms?

    On Mar 29, 9:28 am, (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:

    > Steve> I wanted to know if there were any decent sites out there that have
    > Steve> tutorials for creating perl programs on cell phones.
    >
    > What cell phones support Perl?
    >
    > print "Just another Perl hacker,"; # the original

    > <> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
    > Seehttp://methodsandmessages.vox.com/for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

    A friend of a friend works at a company that makes programs for cell
    phones and apparently they use perl...
    No smart phones support perl? Really?
    Steve, Mar 29, 2010
  4. Steve

    Ted Zlatanov Guest

    On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 09:28:31 -0700 (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:

    Steve> I wanted to know if there were any decent sites out there that have
    Steve> tutorials for creating perl programs on cell phones.

    RLS> What cell phones support Perl?

    Nokia N900 (Maemo) does. The upcoming Meego which is the followup to
    Maemo also should. I've used Maemo on the N800/N810 tablets and it
    works fine, just another ARM port of Linux.

    The iPhone can also run Perl.

    Ted
    Ted Zlatanov, Mar 29, 2010
  5. Re: Are there any good tutorials for writing perl cell phone programs?

    On 29/03/2010 18:08, Steve wrote:

    >> Steve> I wanted to know if there were any decent sites out there that have
    >> Steve> tutorials for creating perl programs on cell phones.
    >>
    >> What cell phones support Perl?
    >>
    >> print "Just another Perl hacker,"; # the original
    >>
    >> --
    >> Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
    >> <> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
    >> Smalltalk/Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
    >> Seehttp://methodsandmessages.vox.com/for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

    > A friend of a friend works at a company that makes programs for cell
    > phones and apparently they use perl...
    > No smart phones support perl? Really?

    It's hardly a mainstream phone app-dev language. I'd guess you might be
    able to hack Perl and maybe even Perl/Tk onto an Android, Maemo, WebOS
    phone or Jailbroken iPhone but I suspect you'd have no market for your
    app. I think you'd be much better off looking at Java ME or perhaps
    proprietary SDKs like the Objective-C SDK for iPhone. I love Perl but I
    don't use it for everything.

    I'd look at Java ME. YMMV.

    Just my ¤0.02 worth.

    --