Are there any modules for IRC, that work with Python 3.1?

TerryP

Does anyone know of any modules for dealing with the IRC protocol,
that will work with Python 3.1? It doens't have to be super great,
just less time consuming then playing with sockets directly (and obv.
stable). The only module in my systems package manager is irclib for
Python 2.6. I can live with writing code for Python 2.4+ easily but,
ahem, I think it would be wise to write new code around Python 3.1
instead... so yeah, here we are. Searching Google doesn't offer much
encouragement - just irclib and oyoyo.

Has anyone here tried using oyoyo with Python 3.1, and is there
anything else I might have missed?

# circumstances

Having recently been put into search for a new IRC client, and
everything I've thrown in the cauldron having become a
disappointment... let's just say, I've come to a conclusion -- either
I'm going to install ircII and live with whatever it has to offer(!),
or hash out something quickly in Python that fits my needs. If I'm
considering writing an IRC client, it makes sense to check for modules
implementing the protocol before I have to roll something myself, but
nothing seems to fit the bill.

(For those that don't know it, ircII is a really freaking old Internet
Rely Chat client ;)

Jorgen Grahn

Does anyone know of any modules for dealing with the IRC protocol,
that will work with Python 3.1? It doens't have to be super great,
just less time consuming then playing with sockets directly (and obv.
stable). The only module in my systems package manager is irclib for
Python 2.6. I can live with writing code for Python 2.4+ easily but,
ahem, I think it would be wise to write new code around Python 3.1
instead...

Even though it is not widely used yet, and the module you want to use
doesn't support it? I assume you have installed Python 3.x manually
too (my Debian 'stable' is only at Python 2.5 at the moment -- it
probably takes lots of work to bring in Python 3 without losing
important packages).

Or you can ask the irclib maintainers if they have something. If not,
you can do the work for them, after you have convinced yourself it's
good enough (by starting to use it with Python 2.x).

I don't have any more substantial advice, sorry.
# circumstances

Having recently been put into search for a new IRC client, and
everything I've thrown in the cauldron having become a
disappointment... let's just say, I've come to a conclusion -- either
I'm going to install ircII and live with whatever it has to offer(!),
or hash out something quickly in Python that fits my needs. If I'm
considering writing an IRC client, it makes sense to check for modules
implementing the protocol before I have to roll something myself, but
nothing seems to fit the bill.

(For those that don't know it, ircII is a really freaking old Internet
Rely Chat client ;)

I would have thought (given the number of hackers who use it a lot)
there were lots of good IRC clients, but I don't use it myself, so ...

/Jorgen

Chris Jones

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 01:39:48AM EDT, TerryP wrote:

[..]
Having recently been put into search for a new IRC client, and
everything I've thrown in the cauldron having become a
disappointment...

OT as always, but I'm surprised you found weechat-curses disappointing.

CJ

Aahz

Does anyone know of any modules for dealing with the IRC protocol,
that will work with Python 3.1? It doens't have to be super great,
just less time consuming then playing with sockets directly (and obv.
stable). The only module in my systems package manager is irclib for
Python 2.6. I can live with writing code for Python 2.4+ easily but,
ahem, I think it would be wise to write new code around Python 3.1
instead...

Why do you think that would be wise? If library writers haven't upgraded
their libraries to 3.1, shouldn't that be a message to you?
--
Aahz ([email protected]) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"To me vi is Zen. To use vi is to practice zen. Every command is a
koan. Profound to the user, unintelligible to the uninitiated. You
discover truth everytime you use it." (e-mail address removed)

Andre Pereira

Try IRC IT (II) from suckless (http://tools.suckless.org/ii).

Quoting:
ii is a minimalist FIFO and filesystem-based IRC client. It creates an irc
directory tree with server, channel and nick name directories. In every
directory a FIFO in file and a normal out file is created.

The in file is used to communicate with the servers and the out files
contain the server messages. For every channel and every nick name there
are related in and out files created. This allows IRC communication from
command line and adheres to the Unix philosophy. example

Join a channel as follows: $ echo "/j #wmii" > in and ii creates a new
#wmii (channel) directory with in and out files.

It's all file based, so it works in almost any programming language in the
world :D

TerryP

Why do you think that would be wise?  If library writers haven't upgraded
their libraries to 3.1, shouldn't that be a message to you?

To me, it generally sends this kind of message:

if lib.has_lots_of_users:
try:
avoid.as_long_as_possible()
except AvoidError:
pass
finally:
migrate_or_die()
elif lib is unmaintained:
raise CrapException("you're on your own bub!")
else:
you.go_back_to_work(on_project, you.with(lib))

but being late for dinner might be clouding my mind at the
moment.... ;)

Ross Ridge

TerryP said:
Having recently been put into search for a new IRC client, and
everything I've thrown in the cauldron having become a
disappointment...

Have you tried the IRC client script for Vim?

Ross Ridge