    better than Tk.
    Thanks
    ngoc
    ngoc, Jul 13, 2005

  2. ngoc

    Dave Weaver Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:17:32 +0200, ngoc <> wrote:
    > There are some limitations of perl/Tk. I am Looking for other toolkits
    > better than Tk.

    There's WxPerl:
    http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/

    Whether or not its 'better' then Perl/Tk is up to you to decide.
    Dave Weaver, Jul 13, 2005

  3. ngoc

    Anno Siegel Guest

    ngoc <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > Hi
    > There are some limitations of perl/Tk. I am Looking for other toolkits
    > better than Tk.

    "Better" meaning "lacking the undisclosed limitations of TK"? That's
    a tricky question.

    Anno
    Anno Siegel, Jul 13, 2005
  4. ngoc <> writes:

    > Hi
    > There are some limitations of perl/Tk. I am Looking for other toolkits
    > better than Tk.

    Better in what way? For what OS(es)?

    See my .sig for one that I'm pretty happy with for Mac OS X, and soon GNUStep.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jul 13, 2005
  5. ngoc

    zentara Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:17:32 +0200, ngoc <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >There are some limitations of perl/Tk. I am Looking for other toolkits
    >better than Tk.
    >Thanks
    >ngoc

    Better? In what way? Are you really looking for a "point-and-click GUI
    designer"? LIke Glade?

    There is Gtk2 and Wx( Gtk2 is behind the scenes on linux ).

    But they are much harder to use than Tk, and if you run into problems,
    you will find very few people who will answer your questions.
    For instance, just to have your gtk2-gui exit, when you hit the X in
    your window-manager controls, you have to program that in. Tk does
    it automatically. That is just the beginning of the details which
    gtk2-perl demands of you. So do you want to spend all day, looking
    through poor documentation, to get your gtk2-perl gui working? Or
    do you want to use Tk and be running in a few minutes?

    I am currently trying to learn Gtk2-perl , after learning Tk. And I will
    tell you flat out, that Tk is easier, and has less limitations than
    Gtk2. I'm not saying the underlying code foundation of Tk is better,
    but do you care as long as it works?

    Try using the Gnome2::Canvas and then try the Tk::Canvas. Tk is
    so much easier to use. Tk also has Zinc, which is a Canvas-on-steroids.
    Go ahead, take your Gnome2::Canvas and try to make a pie-shape,
    then try it on Tk. I don't even think it can be done on Gnome2::Canvas.
    On the other hand, the Gnome2::Canvas does have some great features
    built into it, but it's currently available widget set is pretty poor,
    let alone any documentation on how to use them. Can you make a Bezier
    curve on Gnome2::Canvas? It's simple on Tk::Canvas.

    So which GUI is limited?

    I just don't understand how Tk got the bad reputation. I'm getting the
    feeling that it's like the people who use Python saying Perl is "too
    obtuse or obsolete" for them. I think it really is that they just never
    took the time to learn it. Once they learn it, they never want to use
    anything else.
    The same with Tk. They try to learn, and get discouraged, and say
    "this sucks, others say it sucks, there must be something better".
    But once you learn it, it's like Perl, it's the first thing you reach
    for when making an app.

    People complain that Tk is "ugly". Well it all depends on how much
    effort you want to put into the appearance. Gtk2-perl does have the
    powerful "themes" to make apps look very nice, but just try to figure
    them out!! And what about when someone who dosn't have your "theme"
    installed, tries to run your app.....it will look ugly.

    So what exactly are your perceived limitations of Tk, in regards to what
    sort of program?

    http://zentara.net/japh.html
    zentara, Jul 13, 2005
  6. ngoc

    ngoc Guest

    The reason I say perl/Tk have limitations are.
    I now maintain a package of software of nearly 100 apps that use Listbox
    to display tabular data. It is ugly. I want to make better. Looking
    around www.perltk.org, I see Columns, but it is not good in resizing of
    column. Asking perlTk forum and web search, I learn about MListbox,
    TableMatrix and TixGrid. Only MListbox is considered as good one for me.
    It has 2 things I dislike. It does not resize after longest string .And
    height and width is height and width of column(listbox), not pane. So
    when data is not filled in MListbox, the size of widget is not as
    defined. But this problem is fixed, I use 3 days to modify the original
    MListbox.
    TableMatrix and TixGrid is a long history with bugs by installation, etc..
    That is why I say perl/Tk have limitations and looking for new package
    of GUI.
    ngoc, Jul 13, 2005
  7. ngoc

    Larry Guest

    Can you me more specific about these "limitations"? Maybe you just
    need to learn more about perl/Tk :)
    Larry, Jul 13, 2005
  8. ngoc

    zentara Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:13:05 +0200, ngoc <> wrote:

    >The reason I say perl/Tk have limitations are.
    >I now maintain a package of software of nearly 100 apps that use Listbox
    >to display tabular data. It is ugly. I want to make better. Looking
    >around www.perltk.org, I see Columns, but it is not good in resizing of
    >column. Asking perlTk forum and web search, I learn about MListbox,
    >TableMatrix and TixGrid. Only MListbox is considered as good one for me.
    >It has 2 things I dislike. It does not resize after longest string .And
    >height and width is height and width of column(listbox), not pane. So
    >when data is not filled in MListbox, the size of widget is not as
    >defined. But this problem is fixed, I use 3 days to modify the original
    >MListbox.
    >TableMatrix and TixGrid is a long history with bugs by installation, etc..
    >That is why I say perl/Tk have limitations and looking for new package
    >of GUI.

    Gtk2-perl has alot of discussion of it's Gtk2::SimpleList on it's
    maillist at

    Search the archives, and see if the code is easier to use than your
    current Tk scripts.

    When I need lists in Tk, I use Tk::HList. It is very good, but more
    complicated..... for instance you have to do your sorting manually,
    and repopulate the list yourself. I know that it will resize it's
    column's width automatically.

    If you want proof, check out
    http://perlmonks.org?node_id=327499

    Run the program, and change an entry's name to some long string.
    The HList is in the left frame, and watch the 'id' column width
    automatically expand to the string width.

    http://zentara.net/japh.html
    zentara, Jul 14, 2005