Are there any other GUI toolkits for perl than perl/Tk?

ngoc

Hi
There are some limitations of perl/Tk. I am Looking for other toolkits
better than Tk.
Thanks
ngoc

Anno Siegel

ngoc said:
Hi
There are some limitations of perl/Tk. I am Looking for other toolkits
better than Tk.

"Better" meaning "lacking the undisclosed limitations of TK"? That's
a tricky question.

Anno

Sherm Pendley

ngoc said:
Hi
There are some limitations of perl/Tk. I am Looking for other toolkits
better than Tk.

Better in what way? For what OS(es)?

See my .sig for one that I'm pretty happy with for Mac OS X, and soon GNUStep.

sherm--

zentara

Hi
There are some limitations of perl/Tk. I am Looking for other toolkits
better than Tk.
Thanks
ngoc

Better? In what way? Are you really looking for a "point-and-click GUI
designer"? LIke Glade?

There is Gtk2 and Wx( Gtk2 is behind the scenes on linux ).

But they are much harder to use than Tk, and if you run into problems,
you will find very few people who will answer your questions.
For instance, just to have your gtk2-gui exit, when you hit the X in
your window-manager controls, you have to program that in. Tk does
it automatically. That is just the beginning of the details which
gtk2-perl demands of you. So do you want to spend all day, looking
through poor documentation, to get your gtk2-perl gui working? Or
do you want to use Tk and be running in a few minutes?

I am currently trying to learn Gtk2-perl , after learning Tk. And I will
tell you flat out, that Tk is easier, and has less limitations than
Gtk2. I'm not saying the underlying code foundation of Tk is better,
but do you care as long as it works?

Try using the Gnome2::Canvas and then try the Tk::Canvas. Tk is
so much easier to use. Tk also has Zinc, which is a Canvas-on-steroids.
Go ahead, take your Gnome2::Canvas and try to make a pie-shape,
then try it on Tk. I don't even think it can be done on Gnome2::Canvas.
On the other hand, the Gnome2::Canvas does have some great features
built into it, but it's currently available widget set is pretty poor,
let alone any documentation on how to use them. Can you make a Bezier
curve on Gnome2::Canvas? It's simple on Tk::Canvas.

So which GUI is limited?

I just don't understand how Tk got the bad reputation. I'm getting the
feeling that it's like the people who use Python saying Perl is "too
obtuse or obsolete" for them. I think it really is that they just never
took the time to learn it. Once they learn it, they never want to use
anything else.
The same with Tk. They try to learn, and get discouraged, and say
"this sucks, others say it sucks, there must be something better".
But once you learn it, it's like Perl, it's the first thing you reach
for when making an app.

People complain that Tk is "ugly". Well it all depends on how much
effort you want to put into the appearance. Gtk2-perl does have the
powerful "themes" to make apps look very nice, but just try to figure
them out!! And what about when someone who dosn't have your "theme"
installed, tries to run your app.....it will look ugly.

So what exactly are your perceived limitations of Tk, in regards to what
sort of program?

ngoc

The reason I say perl/Tk have limitations are.
I now maintain a package of software of nearly 100 apps that use Listbox
to display tabular data. It is ugly. I want to make better. Looking
around www.perltk.org, I see Columns, but it is not good in resizing of
column. Asking perlTk forum and web search, I learn about MListbox,
TableMatrix and TixGrid. Only MListbox is considered as good one for me.
It has 2 things I dislike. It does not resize after longest string .And
height and width is height and width of column(listbox), not pane. So
when data is not filled in MListbox, the size of widget is not as
defined. But this problem is fixed, I use 3 days to modify the original
MListbox.
TableMatrix and TixGrid is a long history with bugs by installation, etc..
That is why I say perl/Tk have limitations and looking for new package
of GUI.

Larry

Can you me more specific about these "limitations"? Maybe you just
need to learn more about perl/Tk :)

zentara

[...]

Gtk2-perl has alot of discussion of it's Gtk2::SimpleList on it's
maillist at

Search the archives, and see if the code is easier to use than your
current Tk scripts.

When I need lists in Tk, I use Tk::HList. It is very good, but more
complicated..... for instance you have to do your sorting manually,
and repopulate the list yourself. I know that it will resize it's
column's width automatically.

If you want proof, check out
http://perlmonks.org?node_id=327499

Run the program, and change an entry's name to some long string.
The HList is in the left frame, and watch the 'id' column width
automatically expand to the string width.