Are there any Ruby Technical Writers here?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Vito Fontaine, Dec 4, 2008.

  1. I am a beginner with Ruby who was interested in writing some programs.
    Yet, in different forums of IT I never have had the chance to meet any
    Ruby technical writers I can remember. Anyhow, I wanted to see if I
    could network with some of you to make some programs of our own design.

    :ciao:

    My personal email is if any of you would like
    to work on some real-world projects. I wanted to specifically work on
    building an object-oriented designed program, which would advocate Ruby
    programmers in open-source create their own programs. I think
    object-oriented development should be reconsidered in Ruby and expanded
    upon, besides allowing JRuby to steal the show. More technical concepts
    should be innovated for Ruby outside of Java, which is why I wanted to
    learn Ruby in the first place.
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    Vito Fontaine, Dec 4, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On 04.12.2008 22:43, Vito Fontaine wrote:
    > I wanted to specifically work on
    > building an object-oriented designed program, which would advocate Ruby
    > programmers in open-source create their own programs.


    Can you be even more specific about your idea? From what you write it
    sounds interesting but I have zero clue what "advocating" in this
    context is supposed to mean.

    > I think
    > object-oriented development should be reconsidered in Ruby and expanded
    > upon, besides allowing JRuby to steal the show.


    In what way should we reconsider OOD in Ruby? And why? What is wrong
    with OOD in Ruby today?

    > More technical concepts
    > should be innovated for Ruby outside of Java, which is why I wanted to
    > learn Ruby in the first place.


    Again, what do you mean by "technical concepts should be innovated ...
    outside of Java"?

    Cheers

    robert
     
    Robert Klemme, Dec 4, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Robert Klemme wrote:
    > On 04.12.2008 22:43, Vito Fontaine wrote:
    >> I wanted to specifically work on
    >> building an object-oriented designed program, which would advocate Ruby
    >> programmers in open-source create their own programs.

    >
    > Can you be even more specific about your idea? From what you write it
    > sounds interesting but I have zero clue what "advocating" in this
    > context is supposed to mean.


    I meant I wanted to write a Ruby program based on Ruby's OOD resources
    to develop newer, modernized concepts from Ruby's OOD fundamental code.
    Sort of building a program which would be like a Rails framework, but
    only in the programming form of Ruby without Rails. I think Ruby alone
    can be made to be portable without the help of Rails. In a simple
    programmable format towards an application, the program would be a
    compilation of re-coding concepts to strengthen Ruby against thee Java
    brand.

    Why isn't there a Ruby platform for better object-oriented programming
    done in Ruby OOD? Why even do we need Java embedded into Ruby? I love
    the Java language, but as a passionate programmer who has created a few
    Ruby programs alone, this almost angers me a bit. I think Ruby is great
    the way it is and does not need to be merged with Java is my point. I
    dislike when programmers do that process of merging languages, if it
    does not create a whole new language, I mean, then what is the point?
    Portability between programmable software could still be met without
    borrowing coding from a completely different programming language, such
    as Java. I love Ruby too, and this again makes me a bit
    over-compassionate, disliking how Ruby's popularity has gone down in
    comparison to Java's. Ruby's fundamental coding can be re-coded to do
    all of this. I do not see the need for JRuby, unless people just want to
    abandon Ruby and program Java programs for the point being.
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    Vito Fontaine, Dec 5, 2008
    #3
  4. Vito Fontaine wrote:
    >> On 04.12.2008 22:43, Vito Fontaine wrote:

    > I think Ruby is great
    > the way it is and does not need to be merged with Java is
    > my point...
    > I do not see the need for JRuby...
    >


    Re-emphasizing this point above.. I think Ruby OOD is as good as Java's
    but because it has an overwhelming size of a library full of classes,
    the IT
    and open-source community tend to gravitate more as Java being the
    premier
    and better language for OOD. Through creating a simple program for OOD
    built on the fundamentals of Ruby OOD, I think my objective is to prove
    those
    naysayers wrong about Ruby. Ruby's OOD is perfect the way it is, but I
    think
    those techies out there need a reminder, which is why this project would
    be
    important to me. Plus, I think it would only add to Ruby's already
    extensive
    library for smaller programs directory.

    Cheers!
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    Vito Fontaine, Dec 5, 2008
    #4
  5. The technical concepts reconsidered is to build off the Ruby OOD, and to
    simply make it better by recoding its unique parts. Doing all of this
    into a tools program for open-source programmers. Therefore, they will
    have access to a Ruby program which will give the programmers better
    tools and resources to refine their own programming done in Ruby OOD.
    Sorry for the excessive paragraphs. I love Ruby so much, I get inspired
    to write more. In the future, I will calm down and revise my sentences
    to be logically more straightforward.

    :ciao:
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    Vito Fontaine, Dec 5, 2008
    #5
  6. 2008/12/5 Vito Fontaine <>:
    [...]

    Despite all the words you did not answer my question. I'm afraid, if
    you want to attract people or even get support for your endeavor you
    need to provide more meat.

    Cheers

    robert


    --
    remember.guy do |as, often| as.you_can - without end
     
    Robert Klemme, Dec 5, 2008
    #6
  7. On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Vito Fontaine <> wrote:
    >
    > Why isn't there a Ruby platform for better object-oriented programming
    > done in Ruby OOD? Why even do we need Java embedded into Ruby? I love
    > the Java language, but as a passionate programmer who has created a few
    > Ruby programs alone, this almost angers me a bit. I think Ruby is great
    > the way it is and does not need to be merged with Java is my point.


    This explains some of the advantages:

    http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AlternateHardAndSoftLayers

    What JRuby provides access to is not Java per se, but the JVM
    ecosystem, which is very well worth having. Read through some of the
    Clojure documentation too - Rich Hickey talks about why he implemented
    his language atop the JVM. You can write JRuby in a pure ruby style,
    using only the libraries from Java.

    martin
     
    Martin DeMello, Dec 5, 2008
    #7
  8. On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Vito Fontaine wrote:

    > I do not see the need for JRuby, unless people just want to abandon
    > Ruby and program Java programs for the point being.


    You seem to think that JRuby is some kind of Ruby-killer. It isn't;
    it's a Ruby implementation. Among many other things, it raises the
    likelihood of Ruby being seriously considered in organizations where
    Java is firmly entrenched.

    Please have a look at the available information on the history and
    goals of the project.


    David

    --
    Rails training from David A. Black and Ruby Power and Light:
    INTRO TO RAILS (Jan 12-15), Fort Lauderdale, FL
    See http://www.rubypal.com for details
    Coming in 2009: The Well-Grounded Rubyist (http://manning.com/black2)
     
    David A. Black, Dec 5, 2008
    #8
  9. David A. Black wrote:
    > On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Vito Fontaine wrote:
    >
    >> I do not see the need for JRuby, unless people just want to abandon
    >> Ruby and program Java programs for the point being.

    >
    > You seem to think that JRuby is some kind of Ruby-killer. It isn't;
    > it's a Ruby implementation. Among many other things, it raises the
    > likelihood of Ruby being seriously considered in organizations where
    > Java is firmly entrenched.
    >
    > Please have a look at the available information on the history and
    > goals of the project.
    >
    >
    > David


    Perhaps, you guys are right about JRuby. I haven't indulged myself in
    its writing yet. However, I still think despite it using the JVM, it
    isn't necessary. I do think it was a great idea to create JRuby though.
    This might sound hypocritical of me, but what I was also getting at was
    what if Ruby had its own updated VM, different from what it already has?
    That is what I was getting at. I agree and know what JRuby is, but it
    kind of implements the focus on the JVM instead of Ruby's own RVM, I at
    least think. Again, I love all the foundations and modernizations of
    Ruby. I have great respect for JRuby. Next, time I will speak
    accordingly concise. Instead, I will start the project myself on my own
    time, then I will ask for everyone's advocacy later. This way you guys
    will see what I am going after. I have been telling you guys only part
    of what I want to do with Ruby, yet it is to making it simple and true
    to Ruby's programming, as well as expanding on the platform. I haven't
    been working with Ruby that long but understand it. With that said, I am
    working to raise funding for the project. I will be back later with an
    e-Book on what I look forward to do with this Ruby project. It will take
    a whole e-Book to outline the project, and will take lots of programmers
    help as well.

    :adios:
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    Vito Fontaine, Dec 5, 2008
    #9
  10. Plus, I have just started a not-for-profit organization. It's goals are
    based on educational development, besides other things. I am an expert
    in what I do, and will work accordingly. The idea I've told pieces of
    has everything to do with including the Ruby platform. I do not want to
    create a different language at all, but to add different tools,
    resources, and everything else to Ruby. Besides, adding a whole bunch of
    other cool features. The organization's online documentation will be
    based on Ruby development for all open-source developers everywhere. I
    am sorry for the inconvenience, whereas I should have produced a very
    short e-Book on this massive project, and embedded it within this forum
    so everyone could understand its objective, main idea, and overall goal
    for development.

    :peace be upon you:

    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    Vito Fontaine, Dec 5, 2008
    #10
  11. P.S. - I plan on implementing J-Ruby into the program as well but
    differently with a unique set of motives. Lastly, I will not be writing
    anything else in response until I have the e-Book completed and finish
    fund-raising for this. The organization has its own website, but now is
    under reconstruction with a refocus towards Ruby Object-Oriented
    Development. I will be back to drop the website link when it is
    relaunched with the appropriate information. I have thought of other
    concepts to implement in the program just talking to you guys. Whether
    you know it or not, your feedback advocates the process.

    :adios los informadores:
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    Vito Fontaine, Dec 5, 2008
    #11
  12. Vito Fontaine

    Robert Dober Guest

    On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Vito Fontaine <> wr=
    ote:

    > :adios los informadores:

    I think that you might benefit of a different approach here. Honestly
    you risk being put on lots of kill files.

    I have had your enthusiastic questions and point of views, actually
    this is great. But in order to learn and to become a valuable member
    of this community ( assuming that you want this ) it might you get
    further by taking it a little bit easier. (Chi va piano va sano e
    lontano, surely you can understand this ;)

    I myself benefited a lot from people calming me down (how are you
    doing Gregory;) ?), although it took me some time to accept that they
    were not stupid. And actually I fully expect you to think the same of
    me, it would be insulting your intellect if I were not. The challenge
    AMOF is how to tell me without being rude and keep the dialog open.

    Back to some technical reasoning:
    It takes some time to understand certain subtle details of Ruby. BTW I
    agree that Ruby programming can benefit of research (maybe you want to
    have a look at it, but for the time being please ignore the last post,
    I gotta get it offline and revise it ;):
    http://ruby-smalltalk.blogspot.com/2007_08_01_archive.html and if you
    are interested in traits you might have a look at this:
    http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-traits/.
    If OTOH you are more interested in AOP than you should browse the list
    for this, IIRC Ara.T.Howard and Tom(aka Trans) are quite interested in
    these and have done some work on it.

    It might also be a good idea to tell us and specifically Robert(K)
    what you are after in some *short* phrases ;).


    Cheers
    Robert
    --=20
    Ne baisse jamais la t=EAte, tu ne verrais plus les =E9toiles.

    Robert Dober ;)
     
    Robert Dober, Dec 5, 2008
    #12
  13. On 05.12.2008 16:53, Vito Fontaine wrote:
    > Lastly, I will not be writing
    > anything else in response until I have the e-Book completed and finish
    > fund-raising for this.


    IMHO you would be better off by first writing up a short concept and
    then start raising funds. EBook sounds large to me (100 or more pages)
    but I believe you need a more concise conceptual summary, if only to
    attract initial interest.

    You need to be aware that you compete against *a lot* of individuals and
    companies (some of them large and long known players in the field) in
    this area for attention and time resources. In order to be successful
    you need to manage to gain enough initial interest to motivate people to
    actually spend further resources (e.g. time for reading the full
    concept, money, working time).

    > I will be back to drop the website link when it is
    > relaunched with the appropriate information.


    Let's see how it goes.

    Cheers

    robert
     
    Robert Klemme, Dec 6, 2008
    #13
  14. Robert Klemme wrote:
    > On 05.12.2008 16:53, Vito Fontaine wrote:
    >> Lastly, I will not be writing
    >> anything else in response until I have the e-Book completed and finish
    >> fund-raising for this.

    >
    > IMHO you would be better off by first writing up a short concept and
    > then start raising funds. EBook sounds large to me (100 or more pages)
    > but I believe you need a more concise conceptual summary, if only to
    > attract initial interest.
    >
    > You need to be aware that you compete against *a lot* of individuals and
    > companies (some of them large and long known players in the field) in
    > this area for attention and time resources. In order to be successful
    > you need to manage to gain enough initial interest to motivate people to
    > actually spend further resources (e.g. time for reading the full
    > concept, money, working time).
    >
    >> I will be back to drop the website link when it is
    >> relaunched with the appropriate information.

    >
    > Let's see how it goes.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > robert



    I've changed my mind. Since you made some key-points about the project's
    e-book soon to be written, besides funding, etcetera, I will reply.

    ...

    The e-book will be very short and no longer than 21 pages. It will
    consist of the project's focus, objective, mission, vision, issue, idea,
    initiative, work in progress, set of development guidelines, open-source
    standards, compatibility with ruby, interoperability with other
    programming languages, and finally opportunities to help build its
    platform. The structure of it will be sort of like how other innovative
    teams have contribute to J-Ruby and Iron-Ruby. The project will be named
    similar to those subdivisions of the Ruby Programming language. Lastly,
    the internet site will be focused on making money from teaching the
    platform afterwards. I'm going to write the whole rough draft of the
    project myself beforehand, because I want it to follow a certain pathway
    of development. I know what exactly the project will ultimately create
    and how am I planning to make it similar to J-Ruby and Iron-Ruby. I'd
    rather spend my life developing for a good cause more than anything else
    anyway. By the way, I will not be asking for donations neither. I will
    use all of my own money to fund this and I do not want anyone's advocacy
    funding this. This is my own compassionate contribution to open-source
    society. Peace be upon you!

    :ciao:
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    Vito Fontaine, Dec 7, 2008
    #14
  15. >> On 06.12.2008 00:09, Vito Fontaine wrote:
    >Lastly, the internet site will be focused on making money from teaching the >platform afterwards.


    Actually, I will not charge money for tutorials I've decided. I already
    have all the concepts assembled and will be embedding them inside coding
    very soon. Anyhow, I will market the website like any other site,
    because I know how I can for the money it would take. And, the
    organization will be selling other things related to the project, but
    outside of that to make sure the global open-source community can get
    their hands on it.

    (LAST POST) ;)
    --
    Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
     
    Vito Fontaine, Dec 7, 2008
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Scott Abel
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    456
    Scott Abel
    Jul 5, 2006
  2. Julian I. Kamil
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    111
    Julian I. Kamil
    Feb 22, 2006
  3. FAQ server
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    166
    FAQ server
    Aug 10, 2006
  4. FAQ server
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    145
    FAQ server
    Oct 7, 2006
  5. FAQ server
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    161
    FAQ server
    Dec 4, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page