Are there standard C++ networking classes?

James Egan

I've seen some networking toolkits for C++, but was wondering
if there were (or plans for) a standard set of networking
classes for C++?

Also, can someone tell me where I can find a comprehensive
class reference?

-Thanks

James Aguilar

James Egan said:
I've seen some networking toolkits for C++, but was wondering
if there were (or plans for) a standard set of networking
classes for C++?

There is no standard networking library for C++.
Also, can someone tell me where I can find a comprehensive
class reference?

Google is your friend.

- JFA1

Rob Williscroft

James Egan wrote in in
comp.lang.c++:
I've seen some networking toolkits for C++, but was wondering
if there were (or plans for) a standard set of networking
classes for C++?

There are non currently, however boost:

http://www.boost.org/more/mailing_lists.htm#main

do seem to want to write one:

http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?BoostSocket
http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?Multiplexing
http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?BoostNet
Also, can someone tell me where I can find a comprehensive
class reference?

Class reference for what ?

Rob.

sam

James said:
I've seen some networking toolkits for C++, but was wondering
if there were (or plans for) a standard set of networking
classes for C++?

Also, can someone tell me where I can find a comprehensive
class reference?
You may consider ACE/TAO is a powerful solution.

Sam.

jame

ÓÚ Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:37:14 +0800£¬samдµ½£º
You may consider ACE/TAO is a powerful solution.

Sam.
ACE/TAO is powerful, but it is too big and too complicated.

sam

jame said:
ÓÚ Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:37:14 +0800£¬samдµ½£º

ACE/TAO is powerful, but it is too big and too complicated.
It is big in a development platform. But looks alright after compiled
into binary. I don't think it is too complicated. Its design is
reasonable and very good for project reusability and scalability.

Sam.

Howard

James Egan said:
I've seen some networking toolkits for C++, but was wondering
if there were (or plans for) a standard set of networking
classes for C++?

Not at this time, no.
Also, can someone tell me where I can find a comprehensive
class reference?

The C++ language does not have a "class reference", because it has no "class
library" like you might find in Java or C#. There is the "Standard Template
Library" (or just "STL"), which defines some templates (for things like
streams, containers, etc.). You might want to get a book on that subject.

If you're using some third-party class library (including
compiler-vendor-provided ones like MFC with VC++), then their documentation
is where to look.

Otherwise, there is no class reference for C++.

-Howard