Argh! Name collision!

Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet

Donald Knuth once remarked (I think it was him) that what matters for a program
is the name, and that he'd come up with a really good name, now all he'd had to
do was figure out what it should be all about.

And so considering Sturla Molden's recent posting about unavailability of MSVC
9.0 (aka Visual C++ 2008) for creating Python extensions in Windows, and my
unimaginative reply proposing names like "pni" and "pynacoin" for a compiler
independent Python native code interface, suddenly, as if out of thin air, or
perhaps out of fish pudding, the name "pyni" occurred to me.

"pyni"! Pronounced like "tiny"! Yay!

I sat down and made my first Python extension module, following the tutorial in
the docs. It worked!

But, wait, perhaps some other extension is already named "piny"?

Google.

<url: http://code.google.com/p/pyni/>, "PyNI is [a] config file reader/writer".

Argh!

- Alf

Richard Thomas

[...]

PyNI seems to perform the same function as ConfigParser. I prefer the
pronunciation like tiny to Py-N-I. The latter seems clunky.

On a possibly related note I was disappointed to discover that
Python's QT bindings are called PyQT not QTPy. :)

Chard.

Stephen Hansen

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Richard Thomas <[email protected]
On a possibly related note I was disappointed to discover that
Python's QT bindings are called PyQT not QTPy. :)
Isn't this the standard.
Qt -> PyQt
crypto -> pycrypto
MT -> PyMT

I think the point is QTPy would be pronounced "cutie pie" :)

--

Stephen Hansen
... Also: Ixokai

rantingrick

"pyni"! Pronounced like "tiny"! Yay!

hmm, how's about an alternate spelling... "pyknee", or "pynee", or
"pynie" ... considering those are not taken either?

Dennis Lee Bieber

On a possibly related note I was disappointed to discover that
Python's QT bindings are called PyQT not QTPy. :)
<snort>

And here I always felt that the HP <> Compaq "merger" should have
changed their stock listing to HQP (pronounced "hiccup" -- for Hewlett
ComPa[q|ck]ard)

Rami Chowdhury

hmm, how's about an alternate spelling... "pyknee", or "pynee", or
"pynie" ... considering those are not taken either?

Pynie's taken too -- it's the Python implementation on the Parrot VM.

Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet

* rantingrick, on 07.07.2010 07:42:
hmm, how's about an alternate spelling... "pyknee", or "pynee", or
"pynie" ... considering those are not taken either?

Hm, for pure shock value I think I'll use the acronym PYthon Native Interface
Support.

pynis! :)

A set of C++ classes to ease the writing of extensions.

Like,

<code file="Ptr.h">
// progrock.pynis -- "Python Native Interface Support"
// A simple C++ framework for writing Python 3.x extensions.
//
// Copyright (C) Alf P. Steinbach, 2010.

#ifndef PYNIS_PTR_H
#define PYNIS_PTR_H
#include <progrock/cppx/devsupport/better_experience.h>

//----------------------------------------- Dependencies:

#include <Python.h>
#include <assert.h>
#include <algorithm>

//----------------------------------------- Interface:

namespace progrock{ namespace pynis {

enum DoAddRef { doAddRef };

class Ptr
{
private:
PyObject* p_;

public:
Ptr( PyObject* p = 0 ): p_( p )
{}

Ptr( PyObject* p, DoAddRef ): p_( p )
{
assert( p != 0 );
Py_INCREF( p_ );
}

Ptr( Ptr const& other ): p_( other.p_ )
{
Py_XINCREF( p_ );
}

~Ptr()
{
Py_XDECREF( p_ );
}

void swapWith( Ptr& other ) { std::swap( p_, other.p_ ); }
Ptr& operator=( Ptr other ) { swapWith( other ); return *this; }

PyObject* get() const { return p_; }

PyObject* release()
{
PyObject* const result = p_;
Py_XDECREF( p_ );
p_ = 0;
return result;
}
};

} } // namespace progrock::pynis

#endif
</code>

Cheers,

- Alf (shocked)

PS: Darn, forgot to google it. But I think it's unlikely the name's already in use!

Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet

* Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet, on 08.07.2010 01:47:
enum DoAddRef { doAddRef };

class Ptr
{
private:
PyObject* p_;

public:
Ptr( PyObject* p = 0 ): p_( p )
{}

Ptr( PyObject* p, DoAddRef ): p_( p )
{
assert( p != 0 );
Py_INCREF( p_ );
}

Ptr( Ptr const& other ): p_( other.p_ )
{
Py_XINCREF( p_ );
}

~Ptr()
{
Py_XDECREF( p_ );
}

void swapWith( Ptr& other ) { std::swap( p_, other.p_ ); }
Ptr& operator=( Ptr other ) { swapWith( other ); return *this; }

PyObject* get() const { return p_; }

PyObject* release()
{
PyObject* const result = p_;
Py_XDECREF( p_ );

Hark. This Py_XDECREF shouldn't be there, I don't know how it got there. The
whole point of 'release', with conventional semantics, is to /not/ decrement the
reference count.

p_ = 0;
return result;
}
};

Sorry for posting unfinished code,

- Alf

PS: "pyni" was a good name. But in use! When I thought about adding the "s" as
disambiguation I thought the pure shock value of that was funny in a way, but
now it doesn't seem funny. Is "pytes" (Python Extension Support) a good name?

Dennis Lee Bieber

PS: "pyni" was a good name. But in use! When I thought about adding the "s" as
disambiguation I thought the pure shock value of that was funny in a way, but
now it doesn't seem funny. Is "pytes" (Python Extension Support) a good name?

How about "pyes"... (which reminds me... dinner awaits)

rantingrick

Hm, for pure shock value I think I'll use the acronym PYthon Native Interface
Support.

pynis! :)

Well as long as you don't put your "pynis" *pointers* in "pynie" then
everything will be Ok! ;-)