argparse and filetypes

Bradley Hintze

Hi,

I just started with argparse. I want to simply check the extension of
the file that the user passes to the program. I get a ''file' object
has no attribute 'rfind'' error when I use
os.path.splitext(args.infile). Here is my code.

import argparse, sys, os

des = 'Get restraint definitions from probe.'
parser = argparse.ArgumentParser(description=des)
parser.add_argument('infile', nargs='?', type=argparse.FileType('r'))
# parser.add_argument('outfile', nargs='?', type=argparse.FileType('w'),
# default=sys.stdout)

args = parser.parse_args()
# print args.infile.readlines()
print basename, extension = os.path.splitext(args.infile)

There may be a better way to check extensions using argparse.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bradley

Alex Willmer

I just started with argparse. I want to simply check the extension of
the file that the user passes to the program. I get a ''file' object
has no attribute 'rfind'' error when I use
os.path.splitext(args.infile).  Here is my code.

import argparse, sys, os

des = 'Get restraint definitions from probe.'
parser = argparse.ArgumentParser(description=des)
parser.add_argument('infile', nargs='?', type=argparse.FileType('r'))
# parser.add_argument('outfile', nargs='?', type=argparse.FileType('w'),
                   # default=sys.stdout)

args = parser.parse_args()
# print args.infile.readlines()
print basename, extension = os.path.splitext(args.infile)

Because you specified type=argparse.FileType('r') argparse has created
args.infile as a file object (e.g. open('/some/path/data.dat', 'r')),
not as a string containing the path. So type(args.infile) ==
type(file) and args.infile.readlines() returns the contents of that
file.

If you wish to check the file extension of the path in question I
suggest you remove type=argparse.FileType('r'), argparse will create
args.infile as a string containing that path. To open the file call
open(args.infile, 'r'), this will return the file object.

Alex Willmer

Hi,

I just started with argparse. I want to simply check the extension of
the file that the user passes to the program. I get a ''file' object
has no attribute 'rfind'' error when I use
os.path.splitext(args.infile).

Addendum, some file objects have a name attribute (which I hadn't
noticed until today):

file.name
If the file object was created using open(), the name of the file.
Otherwise, some string that indicates the source of the file object,
of the form <...>. This is a read-only attribute and may not be
present on all file-like objects.

http://docs.python.org/library/stdtypes.html#file-objects