Argument of the bool function

candide

About the standard function bool(), Python's official documentation
tells us the following :

bool([x])
Convert a value to a Boolean, using the standard truth testing procedure.

In this context, what exactly a "value" is referring to ?

For instance,

but _expression_ :

x=42

has no value.

Benjamin Kaplan

About the standard function bool(), Python's official documentation tells us
the following :

bool([x])
Convert a value to a Boolean, using the standard truth testing procedure.

In this context, what exactly a "value" is referring to ?

For instance,

but _expression_ :

x=42

has no value.

That's because bool(x=5) isn't doing what you think.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: 'y' is an invalid keyword argument for this function

bool(x=5) is just passing the value 5 as the argument "x" to the function.

"value" means just what you'd think- any constant or any value that's
been assigned to.

Mel

candide said:
About the standard function bool(), Python's official documentation
tells us the following :

bool([x])
Convert a value to a Boolean, using the standard truth testing procedure.

In this context, what exactly a "value" is referring to ?

For instance,

Cute. What's happening here is that `x=5` isn't really an expression.
It's passing a value to the named parameter `x`, specified in the
definition of `bool`. Try it with something else:

Python 2.6.5 (r265:79063, Apr 16 2010, 13:09:56)
[GCC 4.4.3] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: 'y' is an invalid keyword argument for this function

Mel.

Ian Kelly

but _expression_ :

x=42

has no value.

"x=42" is an assignment statement, not an expression.
In "bool(x=5)", "x=5" is also not an expression. It's passing the
expression "5" in as the parameter x, using a keyword argument.

candide

Le 08/04/2011 18:43, Ian Kelly a écrit :
"x=42" is an assignment statement, not an expression.

Right, I was confounding with C ;)

In fact, respect to this question, the documentation makes things
unambiguous :

-----------------
In contrast to many other languages, not all language constructs are
expressions. There are also statements which cannot be used as
expressions, such as print or if. Assignments are also statements, not
expressions.
-----------------

In "bool(x=5)", "x=5" is also not an expression. It's passing the
expression "5" in as the parameter x, using a keyword argument.

You are probably right but how do you deduce this brilliant
interpretation from the wording given in the documentation ?

Ethan Furman

candide said:
Le 08/04/2011 18:43, Ian Kelly a écrit :
You are probably right but how do you deduce this brilliant
interpretation from the wording given in the documentation ?

Look at your original post, which contains the excerpt from the docs
that you put there:
bool([x])
Convert a value to a Boolean, using the standard truth testing
procedure.

As you can see, the parameter name is 'x'.

~Ethan~

candide

Le 09/04/2011 00:03, Ethan Furman a écrit :
bool([x])
Convert a value to a Boolean, using the standard truth testing
procedure.

As you can see, the parameter name is 'x'.

OK, your response is clarifying my point ;)

I didn't realize that in the bool([x]) syntax, identifier x refers to a
"genuine" argument [I was considering x as referring to a "generic"
object having a boolean value].

Nevertheless, compare with the definition the doc provides for the
builtin function dir():

dir([object])
[definition omited, just observe the declaration syntax]

Now, lets make a try
Traceback (most recent call last):

Not very meaningful, isn't it ?

Lie Ryan

Le 09/04/2011 00:03, Ethan Furman a écrit :
bool([x])
Convert a value to a Boolean, using the standard truth testing
procedure.

As you can see, the parameter name is 'x'.

OK, your response is clarifying my point ;)

I didn't realize that in the bool([x]) syntax, identifier x refers to a
"genuine" argument [I was considering x as referring to a "generic"
object having a boolean value].

Nevertheless, compare with the definition the doc provides for the
builtin function dir():

dir([object])
[definition omited, just observe the declaration syntax]

Now, lets make a try
Traceback (most recent call last):

Not very meaningful, isn't it ?

The error says it unambiguously, dir() does not take *keyword*
arguments; instead dir() takes *positional* argument:

dir("Explicit is better than implicit")

Robert Kern

Le 09/04/2011 00:03, Ethan Furman a écrit :
bool([x])
Convert a value to a Boolean, using the standard truth testing
procedure.

As you can see, the parameter name is 'x'.

OK, your response is clarifying my point ;)

I didn't realize that in the bool([x]) syntax, identifier x refers to a
"genuine" argument [I was considering x as referring to a "generic" object
having a boolean value].

Nevertheless, compare with the definition the doc provides for the builtin
function dir():

dir([object])
[definition omited, just observe the declaration syntax]

Now, lets make a try
Traceback (most recent call last):

Not very meaningful, isn't it ?

No one is saying that every instance of "foo([arg])" in the docs means that the
given argument is named such that it is available for keyword arguments. What
people are saying is that for bool(), *that happens to be the case*.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

candide

Le 10/04/2011 01:22, Robert Kern a écrit :
No one is saying that every instance of "foo([arg])" in the docs means
that the given argument is named such that it is available for keyword
arguments. What people are saying is that for bool(), *that happens to
be the case*.

what a piece of luck! ;)

Grant Edwards

Le 09/04/2011 00:03, Ethan Furman a ?crit :
bool([x])
dir([object])
Not very meaningful, isn't it ?

The error says it unambiguously, dir() does not take *keyword*
arguments; instead dir() takes *positional* argument:

dir("Explicit is better than implicit")

I think the point is that both cases are documented exactly the same.

rusi

Le 09/04/2011 00:03, Ethan Furman a ?crit :
 > bool([x])
dir([object])
Not very meaningful, isn't it ?
The error says it unambiguously, dir() does not take *keyword*
arguments; instead dir() takes *positional* argument:
    dir("Explicit is better than implicit")

I think the point is that both cases are documented exactly the same.

In what case(s) would a keyword arg to bool be reasonable?

Robert Kern

On 04/09/11 08:59, candide wrote:
Le 09/04/2011 00:03, Ethan Furman a ?crit :
bool([x])
dir([object])
Not very meaningful, isn't it ?
The error says it unambiguously, dir() does not take *keyword*
arguments; instead dir() takes *positional* argument:
dir("Explicit is better than implicit")

I think the point is that both cases are documented exactly the same.

In what case(s) would a keyword arg to bool be reasonable?

It's just an implementation detail. It's not worth the electrons wasted in this
thread already.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

candide

Le 08/04/2011 18:41, Benjamin Kaplan a écrit :
bool(x=5) is just passing the value 5 as the argument "x" to the function.

Anyway, passing x as a keyword argument to the bool function appears to
be very rare : i did a regexp search for about 30000 source-code Python
files (among them official Python source-code, Django, Sphinx, Eric
source-code and many more sources of valuable Python code) and I didn't
find even one.

Chris Angelico

Anyway, passing x as a keyword argument to the bool function appears to be
very rare : i did a regexp search for about 30000 source-code Python files
(among them official Python source-code, Django, Sphinx, Eric source-code
and many more sources of valuable Python code) and I didn't find even one.

Who would use keyword arguments with a function that takes only one arg anyway?

ChrisA

Mel

Chris said:
Who would use keyword arguments with a function that takes only one arg
anyway?

It's hard to imagine. Maybe somebody trying to generalize function calls
(trying to interpret some other language using a python program?)

# e.g. input winds up having the effect of ..
function = bool
name = 'x'
value = 'the well at the end of the world'
## ...
actions.append ((function, {name:value}))
## ...
for function, args in actions:
results.append (function (**args))

Not something I, for one, do every day. But regularity in a language is
good when you can get it, especially for abstract things like that.

I can sort of guess that `dir` was perhaps coded in C for speed and doesn't
spend time looking for complicated argument lists.

Python is a pragmatic language, so all the rules come pre-broken.

Mel.

Colin J. Williams

It's hard to imagine. Maybe somebody trying to generalize function calls
(trying to interpret some other language using a python program?)

# e.g. input winds up having the effect of ..
function = bool
name = 'x'
value = 'the well at the end of the world'
## ...
actions.append ((function, {name:value}))
## ...
for function, args in actions:
results.append (function (**args))

Not something I, for one, do every day. But regularity in a language is
good when you can get it, especially for abstract things like that.

I can sort of guess that `dir` was perhaps coded in C for speed and doesn't
spend time looking for complicated argument lists.

Python is a pragmatic language, so all the rules come pre-broken.

Mel.
This thread has lasted 3 days so far.

I presume that it is agreed they the following is a satisfactory outcome:

*** Python 2.7.1 (r271:86832, Nov 27 2010, 18:30:46) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32. ***
Colin W.

Thomas Rachel

Am 10.04.2011 18:21, schrieb Mel:
It's hard to imagine. Maybe somebody trying to generalize function calls
(trying to interpret some other language using a python program?)

# e.g. input winds up having the effect of ..
function = bool
name = 'x'
value = 'the well at the end of the world'
## ...
actions.append ((function, {name:value}))
## ...
for function, args in actions:
results.append (function (**args))

Wrong structure.

Better do

function = bool
value = 'the well at the end of the world'
## ...
actions.append((function, (value,), {}))
## ...
for function, args, kwargs in actions:
results.append(function(*args, **kwargs))

or maybe even better (taking care for closures):

function = bool
value = 'the well at the end of the world'
## ...
actions.append(lambda val=value: function(val))
## ...
for function in actions:
results.append(function())