Arguments are of the wrong type...connecting to Access DB

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by thecubemonkey, Oct 3, 2008.

  1. Hi everyone,

    I'm getting the following error:

    ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bb9'
    Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable range, or are
    in conflict with one another.
    /newsite/faq.asp, line 57

    Can you look at the code below and let me know if the problem is my
    code or if there is a server setting that needs adjustment. Thanks.

    I am using a global.asa file with:
    SCRIPT LANGUAGE="VBScript" RUNAT="Server">

    Sub Application_OnStart()

    Dim strConn
    strConn = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=D:\Departments
    \MBA_UBALT\newsite\faq.mdb"
    Application("strConn") = strConn

    End Sub

    </SCRIPT>

    The ASP page code is:

    <%
    Dim rsFAQ
    Set rsFAQ = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

    rsFAQ.Open "FAQ", Application("strConn"), adOpenKeyset,
    adLockReadOnly, adCmdText

    Do While Not rsFAQ.EOF
    rsFAQ.MoveNext
    Loop
    If rsFAQ.BOF Then
    Response.Write "<p>No FAQs in the database!</p>" & vbNewLine
    End If

    rsFAQ.Close
    %>

    thecubemonkey, Oct 3, 2008

  2. thecubemonkey wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm getting the following error:
    >
    > ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bb9'
    > Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable range, or are
    > in conflict with one another.
    > /newsite/faq.asp, line 57
    >
    > Can you look at the code below and let me know if the problem is my
    > code or if there is a server setting that needs adjustment. Thanks.

    > rsFAQ.Open "FAQ", Application("strConn"), adOpenKeyset,
    > adLockReadOnly, adCmdText

    This error is typically due to the failure to define those ado constants.
    See:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2112

    That said, I have to say there is rarely a need to use other than the
    default, server-side forward-only cursor type. This statement could be
    changed to (assuming FAQ is a table in your database):

    dim cn, rs
    set cn = createobject("adodb.connection")
    cn.open Application("strConn")
    set rs = cn.Execute("select * from FAQ',,1)

    Further relevant reading: http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2096
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2467

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007