Arguments are of the wrong type

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Erica, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. Erica

    Erica Guest

    I'm getting the following error:

    ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bb9'

    Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable range, or are in
    conflict with one another.

    /shop/results.asp, line 15

    line 15 is the recordset open line. Can someone please help

    if isnull(session("whois")) then
    response.Redirect("../default.asp")
    else
    getCon=Application("connectionObject")
    set objshop=server.CreateObject("adodb.recordset")
    dim categoryid
    categoryid = request.querystring("cat")
    objshop.open "select * from tblproducts where catkey = " & categoryid &"
    order by catkey",getcon,3,3

    Erica, Oct 26, 2004

  2. <%
    categoryid = request.querystring("cat")
    RESPONSE.WRITE "select * from tblproducts where catkey = " & categoryid &"
    order by catkey"
    RESPONSE.END
    %>

    Load that. Does your query look right? If so, open up tool for running
    queries against your database and try running it. You didn't indicated what
    database type you're using, so if this is SQL, use Query Analyzer. Access,
    the query editor window, etc.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 26, 2004

  3. Erica

    Erica Guest

    The sql statement is correct. I am using Access database.

    Erica, Oct 27, 2004
  4. You verified that it is correct by copying and pasting that exact query and
    running it in the Access query window?

    Ray at home

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 27, 2004
  5. Erica

    Erica Guest

    Yes, and the query worked perfect. Here is what I copied and pasted

    select * from tblproducts where catkey = 1 order by catkey

    Erica, Oct 27, 2004
  6. Alright, what is "getcon" then? Can you post that function?

    Ray at home

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 27, 2004
  7. Erica

    Erica Guest

    Ray,

    First, thanks for your help. Second, 'getcon' is the connection object. The
    strange thing is that this script worked fine and then all of sudden with no
    warning it stopped working. I'm at a brick wall with this one. I've spent
    almost 24 hours trying to figure this one ou t.

    Erica, Oct 27, 2004
  8. Erica

    Des Perado Guest

    "Erica" <> wrote in message
    > objshop.open "select * from tblproducts where catkey = " & categoryid &"

    I don't understand the final bit: ... categoryid & "

    Why append a double quote? Surely that's neither needed nor correct, and
    results in three double quotes in the line. Remove the final &"

    Des Perado, Oct 27, 2004
  9. Erica

    thorpe Guest

    your storing your connection object in an application variable? bad idea.

    thorpe, Oct 27, 2004
  10. How did you deduce that her connection object is being stored in an app
    variable? :]

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 27, 2004
  11. What does your GEtCon function look like? -- Wait, sorry, I missed the
    "getConn = Application("connectionObject")" line! I'm going to assume that
    Application("connectionObject") is your connection string.

    Try this code:

    Dim oConn, objShop, sSQL
    Dim categoryid
    Dim sTest
    sTest = Application("connectionObject")
    RESPONSE.WRITE "CONNECTION STRING: " & STEST & "<HR>"

    categoryid = Request.Querystring("cat")
    RESPONSE.WRITE "CATEGORY ID: " & CATEGORYID & "<HR>"

    sSQL = "select * from tblproducts where catkey = " & categoryid &" order by
    catkey"
    Set oConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    oConn.Open Application("connectionObject")
    Set objShop = oConn.Execute(sSQL)
    Response.Write "Records returned? " & (Not objShop.EOF)
    objShop.Close : Set objShop = Nothing

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 27, 2004
  12. Erica

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    >> getCon=Application("connectionObject")

    Bob Lehmann

    message news:#...

    Bob Lehmann, Oct 27, 2004
  13. Notice that it's not _SET_ getCon =, so that would imply that
    Application("connectionObject") is most likely a connection string, not a
    connection object. It's just named a bit deceivingly.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 27, 2004
  14. Erica

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    Generally this means that you are using the ADO constants somewhere, but you
    haven't Included adovbs.inc

    Jeff

    Jeff Dillon, Oct 27, 2004
  15. Erica

    Larry Bud Guest

    "Des Perado" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Erica" <> wrote in message
    > > objshop.open "select * from tblproducts where catkey = " & categoryid &"

    > I don't understand the final bit: ... categoryid & "
    >
    > Why append a double quote? Surely that's neither needed nor correct, and
    > results in three double quotes in the line. Remove the final &"

    I think it's the way the paste wrapped. Look at the next line.

    Larry Bud, Oct 27, 2004
  16. Erica

    Larry Bud Guest

    "Erica" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I'm getting the following error:
    >
    > ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bb9'
    >
    > Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable range, or are in
    > conflict with one another.
    >
    > /shop/results.asp, line 15
    >
    > line 15 is the recordset open line. Can someone please help
    >
    > if isnull(session("whois")) then
    > response.Redirect("../default.asp")
    > else
    > getCon=Application("connectionObject")
    > set objshop=server.CreateObject("adodb.recordset")
    > dim categoryid
    > categoryid = request.querystring("cat")
    > objshop.open "select * from tblproducts where catkey = " & categoryid &"
    > order by catkey",getcon,3,3

    Are you sure categoryid is of a valid value?

    Terrible idea to store a connection object in an application variable.
    Are you sure that app var is valid?

    If it used to work, how about permissions on the access file changing?

    Larry Bud, Oct 27, 2004