Arithmetic shift operation in C

Chris Torek

It talks abouyt thinks like "bit positions" which is a description of
representation rather than value.

I think perhaps the confusion comes in because this is a description
of "a" representation, and not necessarily "the" representation.
That is, the machine could have obnoxious padding bits in the way;
but if so, they do not participate in the value-bit-shifting.

Richard Bos

In said:
Whatever you're accusing me of, I didn't do it.

I'm accusing you of writing this:
Shift operations in C are only portable, and properly defined, on
unsigned objects.

and you did (<[email protected]>).

I'm quite willing to accept your innocence in general, of course, you
sweet, unsuspecting darling, you :p.

Richard