Array and Hash in JavaScript : materials for FAQ : v2

VK

As you don't need to allocate memory
The second sentence doesn't make sense.

Simply means that you *usually* don't have to worry about memory
menagement issues in JavaScript (variables, baskets etc.). And if you
even had have some worries, the only way to handle them would be a pill
of Prozac because JavaScript itself has nearly nothing to offer.
Do you really know what a hash table is?
I guess I do. But if you have ideas how to check something for
"hashness" for 100% guarantee, I would love to hear it. That qualities
should be tested and what responses should be received?

John G Harris

VK said:
Simply means that you *usually* don't have to worry about memory
menagement issues in JavaScript (variables, baskets etc.). And if you
even had have some worries, the only way to handle them would be a pill
of Prozac because JavaScript itself has nearly nothing to offer.

I guess I do. But if you have ideas how to check something for
"hashness" for 100% guarantee, I would love to hear it. That qualities
should be tested and what responses should be received?

It looks as though you don't know what can go wrong with the hashing
function, the function that turns key values into bucket numbers.

I can only conclude that you really don't know what a hash table is.

John

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

Please include attributions for your quotes!
I guess I do. But if you have ideas how to check something for
"hashness" for 100% guarantee, I would love to hear it. That qualities
should be tested and what responses should be received?

Then I would say that you don't.

A hast table is an implementation of an associative array that uses
hash values (numbers) calculated from key values to do approx.
constant time lookup.

There are no external qualities, except time compliexity of
operations, that distinguish a hash based implementation from other
choices of implementation.

The 100% guarantee only requires looking at the code implementing
the associative array.

/L