array/recordset?

Rob Meade

testRS.Fields.Append "WebsiteMetaKeywords", adText

that should have read :

testRS.Fields.Append "WebsiteMetaKeywords", adLongVarChar, nnn

with regards to the nnn - does it matter what size i use here? For example,
I know the sizes of my varchar fields from my sql server database, but I do
not know exactly how many characters will be here, so would me putting the
maximum be a stupid thing to do or acceptable under the circumstances?

Cheers

Rob

Bob Barrows

Rob said:

that should have read :

testRS.Fields.Append "WebsiteMetaKeywords", adLongVarChar, nnn

with regards to the nnn - does it matter what size i use here?

No. The DefinedSize argument should be ignored for this datatype, since it's
a variable length datatype. I don't think you even have to supply it.

Do you have access to the ADO online help? The answers to many of your
questions can be found there:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ado270/htm/mdmscadoapireference.asp

Bob Barrows

Rob Meade

No. The DefinedSize argument should be ignored for this datatype, since it's
a variable length datatype. I don't think you even have to supply it.

Thats what I was hoping, but it errors out when I dont.. :eek:/
Do you have access to the ADO online help? The answers to many of your
questions can be found there:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ado270/htm/mdmscadoapireference.asp

Thanks once again Bob for the link and info :eek:)

I've just managed to get my initial recordset into the new recordset, do
what I had to do with the relevance, and then dump it to the page - bloody
hell! Needs a bit of work still, and only working for 'any words' at the
moment - as my brain appears to have turned to slush - but getting there...

Can't guarantee I'm done with this thread yet (bet you can! :D) - but I just
wanted to say a big thank you for all of the help you've given me this
afternoon/evening - its very much appreciated.

With regards to the library file I'll be trying to use that in future, I
assume it contains all of the info needed that I was using before, so can
just dump my adovbs.inc's and use that instead...

Thanks again,

Rob