arrays and recordsets

Stuart

Hi there,

I am trying to populate the array "yourImages" in the following code,
http://www.javascriptkit.com/script/script2/preloadimage2.shtml
except i am trying to fill it with the values from an access database.
I already publish info from the database to an asp page, but i would like to
preload the images.

I open the database successfully like this
---------------
<%
If IsObject(Session("Fragrance_conn")) Then
Set conn = Session("Fragrance_conn")
Else
Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
conn.open "Fragrance","",""
Set Session("Fragrance_conn") = conn
End If
%>
<%
If IsObject(Session("retail_rs")) Then
Set rs = Session("retail_rs")
Else
sql = "SELECT * FROM [retail]"
Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
rs.Open sql, conn, 3, 3
If rs.eof Then
rs.AddNew
End If
Set Session("retail_rs") = rs
End If"
---------------------

The record i want to use is
rs.Fields("Images").Value

Could anyone please help me out?

Thanks

Tim Williams

Stuart,

It's considered bad practise to store connection or recordset objects
objects in session variables (search relevant FAQ's for the reason).
It's much better to create connections as needed and to store data in
arrays rather than a rs.

Anyway, once you have your recordset then just loop through it and add
the items:

strImgBase = "http://www.mysite.com/images/"
strArr = ""

if not rs.eof then
do while not rs.eof

strArray = strArray & """" & _
strImgBase & rs("Images").value & ""","

rs.movenext
loop
end if

strArray=left(strArray,len(strArray)-1)

//then in the js preload script
var yourImages = new Array(<%=strArray%>) // Fill this array with the
images you wish to preload

stuff strArray in a session (or application variable) to cache it for
the next use.

Tim.

Brynn

I agree ... check out my DBConn.asp script at the following ...

http://www.coolpier.com/cp/cp_scripts/index.asp

this gets you in and out of your database incredibly fast using the
getrows method ... much faster than looping through a recordset at
all. This way you wil build the string after your recordset and
database connection is closed.
GetRows will give you a 2-dimensional array of your recordset ...
first dimension columns, second dimension rows. Yours just being 1
column will be like the below loop. I would be sure to put Select
Images From [retail]; instead of * ... if you don't need the other
info.

I recommend putting your connection string in an application variable
via the global.asa ... or just set it on the page like so ...

I like the way Tim got rid of last comma .. good idea Tim ... versus
if .. then in the loop

<!-- #include file="/coolpier_scripts/_database_tools/DBConn.asp" -->

<%
Dim yourSqlStatement, rsArray, strArray: strArray=""
yourSqlStatement = "SELECT Images FROM [retail];"

cp_TheConnectionString = "yourConnectionString"
cp_DBConn(("open")
rsArray = cp_SqlArray(yourSqlStatement)
cp_DBConn("close")

strImgBase = "http://www.mysite.com/images/"
For n = 0 to ubound(rsArray,2)
strArray = strArray & """" & strImgBase & rsArray(0,n) & ""","
Next
strArray=left(strArray,len(strArray)-1) '//to get rid of last comma
%>

Stuart said:
[...]

I was playing woith someone elses script and i kind of got it working to an
extent. The reason i am trying to preload *some* images is that there are
4000 plus records that i will be displaying in a table, which includes a
picture of each item. I would like to split it into pages displaying maybe
50 items max, but i don't know how to do that yet. Here is the kind of
working script i am playing with

<%
If IsObject(Session("Fragrance_conn")) Then
Set conn = Session("Fragrance_conn")
Else
Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
conn.open "Fragrance","",""
Set Session("Fragrance_conn") = conn
End If
%>
<%
If IsObject(Session("retailU_rs")) Then
Set rs = Session("retailU_rs")
Else
sql = "SELECT * FROM [retailU]"
Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
rs.Open sql, conn, 3, 3
If rs.eof Then
rs.AddNew
End If
Set Session("retailU_rs") = rs
End If
%>
<head>
<script language="JavaScript1.2">
<!-- begin hiding
// (C) 2000 Marcin P Wojtowicz [[email protected]]. All rights reserved.
// Obtain permission before selling/redistributing in any medium.

startingColor = new Array() // <-- Do not modify!
endingColor = new Array() // <-- Do not modify!

// YOU MAY MODIFY THE FOLLOWING:
var yourImages = new Array() // Fill this array with the images you wish to
preload

<%
x = 0
On Error Resume Next
rs.MoveFirst
do while Not rs.eof //x <= 151

x = x + 1

response.write("yourImages[" & x & "]=" & "'" & rs("Images") & "';")

rs.MoveNext
loop
%>
document.write(yourImages.length);

var locationAfterPreload = "http://192.168.1.3/retail.asp" // The script
will redirect here when the preloading finishes *successfully*
var preloadbarWidth = 4000 // 151 The length of the preload bar. Should be
greater than total amount of images you want to preload!
var preloadbarHeight = 15 // The height of the gradient/preload bar
var backgroundOfGradient = "#000000" // Default color while the preload bar
is "filling up"

// Color the preloadbar is starting with - enter 1st, 3rd and 5th
numbers/letters of color code
startingColor[0] = "c"
startingColor[1] = "f"
startingColor[2] = "f"

// Color the preloadbar is going to end up with - enter the 1st, 3rd and 5th
numbers/letters of color code
endingColor[0] = "c"
endingColor[1] = "0"
endingColor[2] = "0"

// FOR TROUBLESHOOTING:
var gap = 2 // PLAY AROUND WITH THIS SETTING IF YOU GET A JAVASCRIPT
ERROR!!! 2 is the minumum value!!!

// DO NOT MODIFY ANYTHING BEYOND THIS POINT!!!

if (!document.all) location.replace(locationAfterPreload)
var a = 10, b = 11, c = 12, d = 13, e = 14, f=15, i, j, ones = new Array(),
sixteens = new Array(), diff = new Array();
var convert = new
Array("0","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","a","b","c","d","e","f"),
imgLen = yourImages.length;
var loaded = new Array(), preImages = new Array(), currCount = 0, pending =
0, h = 0, hilite = new Array(), cover = new Array();

var num = Math.floor(preloadbarWidth/gap);
for (i = 0; i < 3; i++) {
startingColor = startingColor.toLowerCase();
endingColor = endingColor.toLowerCase();
startingColor = eval(startingColor);
endingColor = eval(endingColor);
diff = (endingColor-startingColor)/num;
ones = Math.floor(diff);
sixteens = Math.round((diff - ones)*15);
}
endingColor[0] = 0;
endingColor[1] = 0;
endingColor[2] = 0;
i = 0, j = 0;
while (i <= num) {
hilite = "#";
while (j < 3) {
hilite += convert[startingColor[j]];
hilite += convert[endingColor[j]];
startingColor[j] += ones[j];
endingColor[j] += sixteens[j];
if (endingColor[j] > 15) {
endingColor[j] -= 15;
startingColor[j]++;
}
j++;
}
j = 0;
i++;
}
function loadImages() {
for (i = 0; i < imgLen; i++) {
preImages = new Image();
preImages.src = yourImages;
loaded = 0;
cover = Math.floor(num/imgLen)*(i+1)
}
cover[cover.length-1] += num%imgLen
checkLoad();
}
function checkLoad() {
if (pending) { changeto(); return }
if (currCount == imgLen-1) { location.replace(locationAfterPreload);
return }
for (i = 0; i < imgLen; i++) {
if (!loaded && preImages.complete) {
loaded = 1; pending++; currCount++;
checkLoad();
return;
setTimeout("checkLoad()",10);
}
function changeto() {
if (h+1 > cover[currCount-1]) {
var percent = Math.round(100/imgLen)*currCount;
if (percent > 100) while (percent != 100) percent--;
if (currCount == imgLen && percent < 100) percent = 100;
defaultStatus = "Loaded " + currCount + " out of " + imgLen + " images ["
+ percent + "%].";
pending--;
checkLoad();
return;
}
eval("document.all.cell" + (h+1) + ".style.backgroundColor = hilite[h]");;
h++;
setTimeout("changeto()",1);
}
defaultStatus = "Loaded 0 out of " + imgLen + " images [0%]."
// end hiding -->
</script>
</head>
<center>
Please Wait..</center>
<script language="JavaScript1.2">
<!-- beging hiding
document.write('<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="' +
preloadbarWidth + '"><tr height="' + preloadbarHeight + '" bgcolor="' +
backgroundOfGradient + '">');
for (i = 0; i < num; i++) {
document.write('<td width="' + gap + '" id="cell' + (i+1) + '"></td>');
}
document.write('</tr></table>');
document.write('<p><small><a
href="javascript:location.replace(locationAfterPreload)">Skip Preloading</a>
&nbsp;| &nbsp;<a
href="http://javascriptkit.com/script/script2/preloadimage2.shtml">Script
loadImages();
// end hiding -->
</script>
</center>

Stuart said:
[...]

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Stuart said:
I open the database successfully like this
---------------
<%
If IsObject(Session("Fragrance_conn")) Then
Set conn = Session("Fragrance_conn")
Else
Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
conn.open "Fragrance","",""
Set Session("Fragrance_conn") = conn
End If
%>

What the heck has this to do with JavaScript?
Go away, to a <jehova>VBScript</jehova> NG, please.

PointedEars