Arrghh... Problems building Python from source on OS X --

J. Jeffrey Close

Hi all,

I have been trying for some time to build Python 2.4.x
from source on OS X 10.4.6. I've found *numerous*
postings on various mailing lists and web pages
documenting the apparently well-known problems of
doing so. Various problems arise either in the
../configure step, with configure arguments that don't
work, or in the compile, or in my case in the link
step with libtool.

The configure options I'm using are the following:
--enable-framework --with-pydebug --with-debug=yes
--prefix=/usr --with-dyld --program-suffix=.exe
--enable-universalsdk

I've managed to get past configure and can compile
everything, but in the link I get the error "Undefined
symbols: ___eprintf" . This appears to have
something to do with dynamic library loading not
properly pulling in libgcc. I've tried with -lgcc in
the LD options, but that produces a configure error
"cannot compute sizeof...".

If I remove "--enable-framework" the complete build
works, but unfortunately that is the one critical
element that I need.

The web pages I've found referring to this range from
2001 to present -- still apparently everybody is
having problems with this. Does *anybody* here have
Python built from source on this OS?

Jeffrey

Michael J. Fromberger

"J. Jeffrey Close said:
[...]

Hi, Jeffrey,

Yes, I use Python 2.4.3 built this way. I did not have any significant
troubles building Python on my 10.4 system. My configuration step was a
little different from yours, but basically I just checked out the 2.4.3
source from Subversion, and this is how I configured it:

env CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include
-I/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Headers" \
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" \
configure --enable-framework --enable-shared

I included /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib so that the build could
use the version of GNU readline I installed via Darwin ports. The Tk
headers allow pythonw to build properly.

Having configured, I built and installed via:

make
sudo make frameworkinstall

I hope this may be helpful to you.

-M