Arrghh... Problems building Python from source on OS X --

Discussion in 'Python' started by J. Jeffrey Close, Jun 27, 2006.

  1. Hi all,

    I have been trying for some time to build Python 2.4.x
    from source on OS X 10.4.6. I've found *numerous*
    postings on various mailing lists and web pages
    documenting the apparently well-known problems of
    doing so. Various problems arise either in the
    ../configure step, with configure arguments that don't
    work, or in the compile, or in my case in the link
    step with libtool.

    The configure options I'm using are the following:
    --enable-framework --with-pydebug --with-debug=yes
    --prefix=/usr --with-dyld --program-suffix=.exe
    --enable-universalsdk

    I've managed to get past configure and can compile
    everything, but in the link I get the error "Undefined
    symbols: ___eprintf" . This appears to have
    something to do with dynamic library loading not
    properly pulling in libgcc. I've tried with -lgcc in
    the LD options, but that produces a configure error
    "cannot compute sizeof...".

    If I remove "--enable-framework" the complete build
    works, but unfortunately that is the one critical
    element that I need.

    The web pages I've found referring to this range from
    2001 to present -- still apparently everybody is
    having problems with this. Does *anybody* here have
    Python built from source on this OS?

    Jeffrey
    J. Jeffrey Close, Jun 27, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    "J. Jeffrey Close" <> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have been trying for some time to build Python 2.4.x
    > from source on OS X 10.4.6. I've found *numerous*
    > postings on various mailing lists and web pages
    > documenting the apparently well-known problems of
    > doing so. Various problems arise either in the
    > ./configure step, with configure arguments that don't
    > work, or in the compile, or in my case in the link
    > step with libtool.
    >
    > The configure options I'm using are the following:
    > --enable-framework --with-pydebug --with-debug=yes
    > --prefix=/usr --with-dyld --program-suffix=.exe
    > --enable-universalsdk
    >
    > I've managed to get past configure and can compile
    > everything, but in the link I get the error "Undefined
    > symbols: ___eprintf" . This appears to have
    > something to do with dynamic library loading not
    > properly pulling in libgcc. I've tried with -lgcc in
    > the LD options, but that produces a configure error
    > "cannot compute sizeof...".
    >
    > If I remove "--enable-framework" the complete build
    > works, but unfortunately that is the one critical
    > element that I need.
    >
    > The web pages I've found referring to this range from
    > 2001 to present -- still apparently everybody is
    > having problems with this. Does *anybody* here have
    > Python built from source on this OS?

    Hi, Jeffrey,

    Yes, I use Python 2.4.3 built this way. I did not have any significant
    troubles building Python on my 10.4 system. My configuration step was a
    little different from yours, but basically I just checked out the 2.4.3
    source from Subversion, and this is how I configured it:

    env CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include
    -I/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Headers" \
    LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" \
    configure --enable-framework --enable-shared

    I included /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib so that the build could
    use the version of GNU readline I installed via Darwin ports. The Tk
    headers allow pythonw to build properly.

    Having configured, I built and installed via:

    make
    sudo make frameworkinstall

    I hope this may be helpful to you.

    -M

    --
    Michael J. Fromberger | Lecturer, Dept. of Computer Science
    http://www.dartmouth.edu/~sting/ | Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, USA
    Michael J. Fromberger, Jun 28, 2006