Article : .NET Framework Configuration Tool (Mscorcfg.msc)

Namratha Shah \(Nasha\)

Hi All,

We have almost covered all the .NET Framework Tools except a few, which we
will cover in the coming days.

Today we will are going to check out a tool called as mscorcfg.msc. This is
a .Net configuration tool, which allows you to manage .Net Framework GAC,
security policies through Microsoft management console.

You will fing this tool in

<drive>:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\<version>

You also run this tool from VS.NET command prompt by typing: - mscorcfg.msc

Run the tool using either of the above options. You will notice it has
windows explorer look and feel with a tree view at the left and a list
view on the right.

Check out the options in the left panel and you will notice that you know
some other way of configuring and managing these options except for the last
option Applications.

You should see the below options under My Computer: -

-> Assembly Cache & Configured Assemblies:- As the name says this allows you
to manage assemblies in GAC. You have options to Add Assembly, Export
Assembly List and customize your GAC view.

-> Remoting Services :- You can use this to configure remoting communication
channels.

-> Runtime Security Policy :- Allows you to configure CASPOL at Enterprise,
User and Machine levels.

-> Applications : - Add a .NET application (.exe) to view its dependencies,
configured assemblies and remoting services.

Right the .Net application and select Fix Application to fix any dependency
problems or issues with the assembly.

You will get a dialogue giving you a few options one of which is
'Application SafeMode' . On selecting this option the tool will detect any
dependency issues and update the config file (create if not present) for
runtime assembly binding settings.

-- Please post your queries and comments for my articles in the user group
for the benefit of all. I hope this step from my end is helpful to all of
us.

Regards,

Namratha (Nasha)