Article on Ruby/Rails

James Britt

Gavin Kistner

--Apple-Mail-2-994247000
delsp=yes;
format=flowed

Hope this isn't a duplicate posting; there's an article by David Mertz
on Ruby+Rails on IBM devWorks here:

Ruby on Rails also just got a bump in the JavaLobby newsletter out
today. Rails excerpt follows:

Ruby on Rails is a powerhouse
I didn't get to spend much time at the No Fluff Just Stuff symposium
here in Research Triangle Park this past weekend, but one noteworthy
session I did get to attend was Dave Thomas' presentation about "Ruby
on Rails." I was amazed as I sat through the 90-minute presentation
watching Dave knock out feature after feature of a real-life web
application in record time and with more compact code than any I had
previously seen. The Rails developers seem to have carefully
considered the recurring pattern needs of web apps, and the framework
provides full functionality for a typical database-backed CRUD
(create, read, update, delete) application in a matter of minutes.
Rails uses intelligent reflection to map database tables to Ruby
objects, and the apps you generate with the Rails scripts form a very
reasonable foundation for extending and customizing to meet your
specific needs. Unit testing is built-in by default, as is a full web
server for testing and debugging. The next time you need to get the
job done very quickly you may want to try out Ruby on Rails for
yourself. I don't know enough yet to say how much it can scale, but
Rails is quite clearly a major step forward for those who want web
application development to be easier. Dave has a new book in beta,
check it out here.

--Apple-Mail-2-994247000--