    approaches?

    Thanks.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Wood, Jun 4, 2008

  2. You said "Some advantages of storing them in files are simplicity, and
    efficiency"
    I think you are mistaken here.

    Simplicity: I do not see any difference between pulling article conent from
    database and from file. Actually it would be easier to use DB since besides
    content you might have bunch of additional properties assigned to the
    article. Like "Topic", Thumbnail image, Header. When you need to show list
    of "Todays" article what are you going to do if you keep them as files?

    Efficiency: It's much more efficient to pull data from DB than from the file
    system. Simply because DB designed for that. It offers indexes and such.
    FileSystem does not have it. It always scans the folder in order to find the
    file.

    George.

    George Ter-Saakov, Jun 4, 2008

  3. We use databases almost exclusively for this kind of "stuff". Its easier to
    search, index, etc. and the content can be populated into a "templatized"
    article page. It can also be cached via Partial page caching.
    Peter

    Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], Jun 4, 2008
  4. George,

    > Simplicity: I do not see any difference between pulling article conent
    > from database and from file. Actually it would be easier to use DB since
    > besides content you might have bunch of additional properties assigned to
    > the article. Like "Topic", Thumbnail image, Header. When you need to show
    > list of "Todays" article what are you going to do if you keep them as
    > files?
    >
    > Efficiency: It's much more efficient to pull data from DB than from the
    > file system. Simply because DB designed for that. It offers indexes and
    > such. FileSystem does not have it. It always scans the folder in order to
    > find the file.

    Well, I'm looking for input. But I personally think a link to an existing
    file is simpler than loading data from a database. And I hear all the time
    how loading a straight file is more efficient than one that is loaded from
    the database.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Wood, Jun 4, 2008
  5. Yeah, these are definitely some of the advantages. Have you made use of SQL
    Server 2005's full-text indexing yet? With file-based articles, implementing
    search is a pain.

    Also, would love to see some samples of the sites you are referring to if
    any of them are public.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Wood, Jun 4, 2008
  6. That was my point. Efficiency and ease to work with of static file is only
    an illusion.
    You will end up with nightmare if you need to change the logo or something
    like that in 1000s of static pages.

    George Ter-Saakov, Jun 5, 2008
  7. Implementing search functionality is pain.You might do it yourself or get
    some third party solution like dtSearch or open source (just google "serarch
    engine open source")

    But from my experience the SQL server's full-text do not do a good job.

    George Ter-Saakov, Jun 5, 2008
  8. I'm not sure what you meant by "that was my point" as you seemed to be
    making a different point.

    As far as changing the appearance of the pages, stylesheets and master pages
    should prevent the need to mess with the pages once created.

    I'm not saying I would not choose to use databases. But I'm afraid I don't
    see simplicity and efficiency as the reasons to do so.

    Thanks.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Wood, Jun 5, 2008
  9. Can you elaborate on this? The full-text indexing was created for exactly
    this purpose. Why does it not do a good job, or is a pain to use?

    Jonathan Wood, Jun 5, 2008
  10. Yes, I agree that a database will be needed for one purpose or another.

    But then how good are my options for implementing search functionality?

    Thanks.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Wood, Jun 5, 2008
  11. In reality it never works well.
    I have a web site http://www.mspiercing.com if you look at it you going to
    see search box there.

    First problem I had is misspells. People on internet do not know how to
    spell things. And SQL's full text does not work with misspells.

    Another problem was plural vs singular form.

    Another problem was weights. If person is looking for "belly ring" I want
    the search to find and rank items with word "belly" first simply cause
    "ring" exists in pretty much any item.

    George Ter-Saakov, Jun 5, 2008
  12. You said "I hear all the time how loading a straight file is more efficient"
    And my point was that this is an illusion. That is why many people still
    believe it. And you hear it all the time.
    File System is designed as a sequential list. If you need to find file a.txt
    in it there is no other way but to scan the whole list.

    On contrary DB designed to instantaneously point to correct record if you
    have an index.

    Also MS was planning for long time ago move file system to MS SQL engine.
    Not sure if it's still in works or not.

    George Ter-Saakov, Jun 5, 2008
  13. Any decent article site MUST have good full-text searching.

    --
    Jonathan Wood
    SoftCircuits Programming

    Jonathan Wood, Jun 5, 2008
  14. Of those you listed, plural vs singular would be my biggest worry.

    Yeah, I understand people don't know how to spell. But if their search
    doesn't turn up anything, then I'm not going to feel too guilty when they
    misspelled something. Although I understand it's a bit different if your
    site is selling stuff, in which case, the site loses when they don't find
    what they're looking for.

    Thanks.

    --
    Jonathan Wood
    SoftCircuits Programming

    Jonathan Wood, Jun 5, 2008
  15. George,

    > You said "I hear all the time how loading a straight file is more
    > efficient"
    > And my point was that this is an illusion. That is why many people still
    > believe it. And you hear it all the time.
    > File System is designed as a sequential list. If you need to find file
    > a.txt in it there is no other way but to scan the whole list.

    I understand that. My understanding was that transferring the content was
    faster from a file that transferring it over a database connection, and not
    so much look-up time. My understanding was also that this has been well
    testing and documented. But I will certainly admit I haven't ran any tests
    myself.

    > Also MS was planning for long time ago move file system to MS SQL engine.
    > Not sure if it's still in works or not.

    Not sure how great that sounds. Some sort of index to allow a binary lookup
    makes sense though.

    --
    Jonathan Wood
    SoftCircuits Programming

    Jonathan Wood, Jun 5, 2008
  16. Yes, that's exactly the type of thing I'm considering (I'm already using SQL
    Server 2005). But I have seen some complaints about this approach. For
    example, loading articles from a database does not appear to be as efficient
    as simply displaying files. And I think it was this thread where someone
    complained about SQL Server's full indexing's inability to match similar or
    plural forms of a word.

    Thanks for the link.

    --
    Jonathan Wood