ASCII 0-31 in soap message

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Mike deBruin, Nov 17, 2003.

  1. Mike deBruin

    Mike deBruin Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm having a problem with the way that .NET hides the implementation of
    webservice requests and responses. We have an asp.net front-end that
    consumes webservices implemented in a java backend.

    User copies a paragraph from word with an opening quote or an extended dash
    and pastes it into our app. We call a webservice to do an update, and the
    invalid character is included in the soap request. The back end doesn't
    have a problem with it. When we then do a request to get the newly updated
    object, these invalid characters are in the response soap message, and .net
    barfs because it can't parse the xml. ('', hexadecimal value 0x13, is an
    invalid character. Line 37, position 43).

    I'm no expert at Xml, but from what i understand, ASCII characters 0-31 are
    not valid characters in an Xml document, so I can understand why the
    exception is thrown. What I don't understand is how it can compose the
    request soap message with these invalid characters.

    To get around this, I'm going to implement a Soap extension to trap the soap
    message before it's deserialized, but can anyone explain to me why soap
    requests aren't validated? Does anyone have a quicker workaround than
    writing a soap extension to overcome this problem?

    Thanks,
    Mike

    Mike deBruin, Nov 17, 2003