Ask for a tools to protect my .pyc file :)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Lily Kakm, May 7, 2005.

  1. Lily Kakm

    Lily Kakm Guest

    I am sorry, may be I have not explain my mind clearly.
    But I just want a tool like this : It can change the variable name into
    meaningless ones.
    I know it will not be safe enough, but I need one.
    So I ask for help.
    Thank you !!

    Robert Kern wrote:
    >Lily Kakm wrote:
    >>when I distribute my software, I will give the users .pyc file (maybe I
    >>can use py2exe, but I think there's no essential different), because I
    >>don't like them to know my source code.
    >>
    >>But actually, through .pyc file is not so directly as .py file, but the
    >>user can also easily guest the detail of the program. Because in the .pyc
    >>file, the name of the variables are exist.
    >>
    >>I ask you for a tool. Maybe it can hide the name of the variables.

    That's not going to provide you any security. Any competent attacker
    won't care what you name the variables.

    If you want real security, don't distribute your code. Expose the
    critical parts as a web service (or similar) instead.

    If you want pretend security, .pycs or py2exe executables are enough.

    >For example:
    >
    >good_node = 100
    >bad_node = 500 - good_node
    >
    >Using this tool, it can be like this :
    >
    >xxxxxxxxxx = 100
    >xxxxxxxxxy = 500 - xxxxxxxxxx
    >
    >It has the same function, but it can not easily be seen by the users.

    Reads just fine to me.

    >Do you know where to download a tool like this.

    You ask an open source software community for a free tool to keep your
    source proprietary? High expectations.

    --
    Robert Kern
    rkern at ucsd.edu

    -- Richard Harter

    Lily Kakm, May 7, 2005

  2. Lily Kakm

    Guest

    1. Advertising

  3. Philippe C. Martin, May 7, 2005
  4. On Sat, 07 May 2005 14:27:55 +0000, "Lily Kakm" <>

    > I am sorry, may be I have not explain my mind clearly.
    > But I just want a tool like this : It can change the variable name into
    > meaningless ones.
    > I know it will not be safe enough, but I need one.
    > So I ask for help.
    > Thank you !!

    It's called an "editor"... use Find&Replace... <G>

    Go through your code, copy each variable name to a spreadsheet,
    run some random-hash type function for each name found (make a second
    column), then use the column pairs for F&R operations.

    Dennis Lee Bieber, May 7, 2005