Ask for username/password without WebForm

Guest

How can I download a little grey [header?] box - not a WebForm - that asks for username/ password? I've got a C# - based WebForm app.

Guest

BASIC authentication is built into common Web Browsers. It is the mecanism used whenever you go to a Web site and a little gray box pops up asking for your ID and password.

Eliyahu Goldin

Can you be a bit more specific? Do you want to make an HTML page for user
name and password? Why don't you want a web form?

Eliyahu

mg said:
How can I download a little grey [header?] box - not a WebForm - that asks
for username/ password? I've got a C# - based WebForm app.

Ben Dewey

Once you get a user authenticated using Basic Authentication you can check
their username and whether they have been authenticated or not using

HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name
and
HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.IsAuthenticated

Questions? see:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/SecNetAP05.asp

mg said:
Ah ... I wasn't specific enough!

I'd like to be able to grab the username & password from the little 'grey'
box and use them for application-specific authentication. That is, look up
the username & password in a database table.