ASN.1 encoder & decoder

Doug Stell

Can anyone provide guidance on building an ASN.1 decoder and encoder
in Python? This does not have to be a general purpose implementation,
drivenf from an ASN.1 template. It can be dedicated hard coded to a
particular template.

Doug Stell, (e-mail address removed)

Doug Stell

I looked at pyasn1. Unfortunately, it is not useful and provides a C
interface. Thanks, anyhow.

I figure that I will have to write my own, but am unsure of the best
approach. Nested lists and distionaries might be useful and I am
looking to the feasibility of those mechanisms.

Paul Rubin

Doug Stell said:
Can anyone provide guidance on building an ASN.1 decoder and encoder
in Python? This does not have to be a general purpose implementation,
drivenf from an ASN.1 template. It can be dedicated hard coded to a
particular template.

There might be some useful code in www.trevp.com/tlslite .

Bruce Stephens

Doug Stell said:
I looked at pyasn1. Unfortunately, it is not useful and provides a C
interface. Thanks, anyhow.

What makes you say that? It appears to me (looking at the code in
CVS) to be written entirely in Python, and the home page,
<http://pyasn1.sourceforge.net/> shows examples clearly with a Python
interface.

I've no idea whether or not it's useful in any other sense.

[...]

etingof

I looked at pyasn1. Unfortunately, it is not useful and provides a C
interface. Thanks, anyhow.

pyasn1 is a pure-python implementation. C interface is not supported.
I figure that I will have to write my own, but am unsure of the best
approach. Nested lists and distionaries might be useful and I am
looking to the feasibility of those mechanisms.

Try looking at the pyasn1 homepage http://pyasn1.sf.net where some
design ideas were discussed.

-ilya

Doug Stell

Thanks Paul. This is exactly the type andlevel of implementation that
I was looking for.

I will look at the other implementation again.