ASP 145 Error-- New Application Failed

Patrick

I had a new production envrionment running ASP pages, and after 4 days in
production, I am getting HTTP1.1/ New Application Failed error.

Old environment which worked OK:
Windows 2000 Server with SP3, IIS5 with lock down tool
ODBC connection from ASP to SQL Server: connection string is
driver={SQL Server};server=yjbweblive;uid=Publications;pwd=publications;
database=publications

New Environment which failed today:
Windows 2000 Server with SP4, IIS5 with lock down tool
OLE DB Connection
Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security
Info=False;Initial Catalog=Publications;Data Source=Production

A quick search on the Internet reveals that this kind of problem occurs with
either
1) Bad Global.asa file
2) Inefficient use of database connections (e.g. connections not closed)
3) Someone also suggested that changing the "Application configuration" in
IIS from Medium (Pooled) to either High or Low

The global.asa file we have not changed and contains:
<script language="vbscript" runat="server">

sub Session_OnStart
session.Timeout = 30
end sub
</script>

The database connections, as indicated above has been updated to use ADODB
connections instead of ODBC.

I also experienced an HTTP/500 error yesterday which resulted in a fix to
change the CursorLocation of the ADORecordSet from adUseServer to
adUseClient.

Note, however, that the first request which result in the above error is for
an ASP file which has not been updated yesterday (for CursorLocaiton)

SOS-
1) How could I track down the cause of the problem?
2) What would be the impact of changing the "Applicaiton Protection" in IIS

[MSFT]

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for using the community.

To trouble shoot such a problem, you may try to create another virtual
diretory in the smae web site and put some simple ASP page in it, to test
if it also failed with the New Application Failed error.

If not, the problem may be related to the global.asa in the original web
application. You may rename it and create a new one.

If other ASP application in the same web site also failed with the error,
you can try to use another account other than "IUSER_ComputerName" for the
web site. In IIS Manager:

1) Go to the properties of the Default Web Site, and choose Directory
Security

2) Click the Edit button for Authentication

3) Click the browse button to change the account. For example, you can try
a local administrator account.

Hope this help,

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

[MSFT]

Hi Patrick,

Have you found the root cause for the problem?

Regarding the second question about "application protection", an ASP
application will be run in different process based on this configration:

If an IIS application is configured to run as low application protection,
it runs in Web Server's (inetinfo) process space. This gives a great
performance advantage because costly cross-process marshalling is avoided.

An application configured as pooled out-of-process (medium) will run under
one server package/application created under MTS/COM+.

An application configured Out-of-Process (High) is run in an application
out-of-process, prevents a single application error from bringing down the
inetinfo process.