    other suggestions?

    Thanks alot!

    Anders
    Anders, Sep 4, 2006

  2. Anders

    Mike Brind Guest

    Anders wrote:
    > Using the ASP 3 transaction functionality requires that the transaction flag
    > is set as the very first code row, I understand. I now have a requirement to
    > implement a transaction in one of the pages. Unfortunately the whole site is
    > based on SSI (server side includes) that are being picked up based on the
    > users preferences. I have an index.asp page that does this selection, which
    > is always loaded first. Is there any way around this, or do you guys have any
    > other suggestions?

    I didn't know ASP had any "transaction functionality". Can you give an
    example of how this works?

    --
    Mike Brind
    Mike Brind, Sep 6, 2006

  3. "Mike Brind" <> wrote in message

    > Anders wrote:
    > > Using the ASP 3 transaction functionality requires that the transaction

    flag
    > > is set as the very first code row, I understand. I now have a

    requirement to
    > > implement a transaction in one of the pages. Unfortunately the whole

    site is
    > > based on SSI (server side includes) that are being picked up based on

    the
    > > users preferences. I have an index.asp page that does this selection,

    which
    > > is always loaded first. Is there any way around this, or do you guys

    have any
    > > other suggestions?
    > >

    > I didn't know ASP had any "transaction functionality". Can you give an
    > example of how this works?

    See:-

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/iissdk/html/c03b3162-52f4-4343-8226-b98d16ca7465.asp

    Basically you can mark an ASP script as requiring a transaction then use ADO
    or (COM+ objects marked for transactions) to update multiple distributed
    data sources. As long as all providers support two-phase distributed
    transactions the whole set of changes can be commited or rolled back as a
    single transaction.

    Anthony

    Anthony Jones, Sep 6, 2006
  4. Anders

    Mike Brind Guest

    Anthony Jones wrote:
    > "Mike Brind" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Anders wrote:
    > > > Using the ASP 3 transaction functionality requires that the transaction

    > flag
    > > > is set as the very first code row, I understand. I now have a

    > requirement to
    > > > implement a transaction in one of the pages. Unfortunately the whole

    > site is
    > > > based on SSI (server side includes) that are being picked up based on

    > the
    > > > users preferences. I have an index.asp page that does this selection,

    > which
    > > > is always loaded first. Is there any way around this, or do you guys

    > have any
    > > > other suggestions?
    > > >

    > > I didn't know ASP had any "transaction functionality". Can you give an
    > > example of how this works?
    > >

    > See:-
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/iissdk/html/c03b3162-52f4-4343-8226-b98d16ca7465.asp
    >
    > Basically you can mark an ASP script as requiring a transaction then use ADO
    > or (COM+ objects marked for transactions) to update multiple distributed
    > data sources. As long as all providers support two-phase distributed
    > transactions the whole set of changes can be commited or rolled back as a
    > single transaction.

    Now I remember. I even seem to recall that there's a chapter on it in
    one of my books.... Clearly I never studied it in any real detail, have
    never used it and forgot all about it.

    --
    Mike Brind
    Mike Brind, Sep 6, 2006