ASP access to Data on Remote devices

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by p byers, Aug 25, 2008.

  1. p byers

    p byers Guest

    Good Morning Folks

    I have a LAN
    Among the several connections to it are the following four devices:
    A MAXSTOR network Storage Device
    A PC running Microsoft Windows 2000 Server 5.0.2195 (SP4)
    A PC running Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (SP2)
    A PC running Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (SP2)

    All of the PCs are running IIS

    The 'Public Internet' is connected via a Broadband connection from the
    LAN

    On the MAXSTOR is a folder called 'CENTRALDATA'
    In that folder are a number of Access dotMDB files.

    The Access files can be opened on all of the PCs by double clicking on
    them in Windows Explorer.

    QUESTION ONE

    Can the access files on the MAXTOR be accessed from dotASP pages on the
    three PCs ??

    If so, how ??

    If so, are there any simple tutorial pages that explain in simple
    language how to do it ??

    I have a similar 'CENTRALDATA' folder on a "Public Internet Server" that
    I own

    QUESTION TWO

    Can the access files on the "Public Internet Server" be accessed from
    dotASP pages on the three PCs ??

    If so, how ??

    If so, are there any simple tutorial pages that explain in simple
    language how to do it ??

    I have a similar 'CENTRALDATA' folder on a "Public Internet Server" that
    I own

    QUESTION THREE

    Can the access files on the "Public Internet Server" be accessed from
    dotASP pages on other "Public Internet Server" servers ??

    If so, how ??

    If so, are there any simple tutorial pages that explain in simple
    language how to do it ??

    By the way, I tried to create Virtual Folders using IIS Admin on the
    three PCs on the LAN, but it will not allow it for 'Remote' folders.

    I await your replies with interest
    Thank You in Advance

    Pete (Northolt UK)

    p byers, Aug 25, 2008

  2. "p byers" <> wrote in message
    > Good Morning Folks

    Whether it is morning depends on a) when the reader reads the message and b)
    what timezone they are in.
    I read this this morning and I'm UK based to so good morning back. But its
    afternoon now, or is it?

    > I have a LAN
    > Among the several connections to it are the following four devices:
    > A MAXSTOR network Storage Device
    > A PC running Microsoft Windows 2000 Server 5.0.2195 (SP4)
    > A PC running Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (SP2)
    > A PC running Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (SP2)
    >
    > All of the PCs are running IIS
    >
    > The 'Public Internet' is connected via a Broadband connection from the
    > LAN
    >
    > On the MAXSTOR is a folder called 'CENTRALDATA'
    > In that folder are a number of Access dotMDB files.
    >
    > The Access files can be opened on all of the PCs by double clicking on
    > them in Windows Explorer.

    > QUESTION ONE
    >
    > Can the access files on the MAXTOR be accessed from dotASP pages on the
    > three PCs ??
    >
    > If so, how ??
    >
    > If so, are there any simple tutorial pages that explain in simple
    > language how to do it ??

    You haven't stated whether you are expecting users to access the site
    anonymously or not.

    If all access is to be from users who have domain accounts on your network
    then turn off anonymous access on the IIS site and turn on windows
    intergrated security. Now grant access for those users to the file share
    and folders containing the MDBs as would if the were accessing them via the
    file system.

    If you need anonymous access you will need more work. By default IIS
    creates an IUSR_<machinename> machine guest account which it used to access
    files. This account has not access to the network. Therefore you need to
    create a new account in the domain and change the anonymous access on the
    IIS to use this new domain account. Grant this account file access as
    above.

    > I have a similar 'CENTRALDATA' folder on a "Public Internet Server" that
    > I own
    >
    > QUESTION TWO
    >
    > Can the access files on the "Public Internet Server" be accessed from
    > dotASP pages on the three PCs ??
    >
    > If so, how ??
    >
    > If so, are there any simple tutorial pages that explain in simple
    > language how to do it ??

    I guess that depends on what you mean by 'access'. If you mean can you use
    JET queries against a copy of an MDB held on a public server I would say
    thats probably not a good idea.

    What is it you want to do? Download it? Do you need to upload it as well.

    > I have a similar 'CENTRALDATA' folder on a "Public Internet Server" that
    > I own
    >
    > QUESTION THREE

    Seems identical to second.

    > By the way, I tried to create Virtual Folders using IIS Admin on the
    > three PCs on the LAN, but it will not allow it for 'Remote' folders.

    Creating virtual folders for a UNC path is possible, you must specific a
    user name and password that IIS will use to access the folder. That however
    would not help with DB queries against MDBs on remote server.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Aug 25, 2008

  3. p byers

    p byers Guest

    Anthony
    Thank you for your reply.

    I tried so hard not to 'screw-up' my request and to give all of the relevant
    information !!

    Such irony to slip-up on the 'Salutation' - lol

    The access to the ASPages (both on the PCs on the Local LAN and on the 'Public
    Internet') will be anonymous.

    The access to the Databases is Jet Queries only - not uploading or downloading.

    In simple language, I would like several servers running IIS (LAN and 'Public
    Internet') to serve ASPages to be able to use the a Common (the same) Database -
    not individual copies.

    -AND-

    to do it simply by quoting the appropriate Shared Folder in the DataSource of
    the 'Open' statements.

    -BUT-

    I am too dim to be able to do it, I have Searched, Read and Struggled for ages -
    and FAILed so far.

    -HENCE-

    My simple plea for simple help from clever folks

    Thank you
    Pete (Northolt UK)

    p byers, Aug 25, 2008
  4. "p byers" <> wrote in message

    > In simple language, I would like several servers running IIS (LAN and
    > 'Public
    > Internet') to serve ASPages to be able to use the a Common (the same)
    > Database -
    > not individual copies.

    <snip>

    There's an oft-abused acronym of "UNC" which'd help you greatly here.

    Have a read of the URL below; hopefully that'll be enough to set you in the
    right direction.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_(computing)#Uniform_Naming_Convention

    - Bob.

    Bob Milutinovic, Aug 26, 2008
  5. p byers

    p byers Guest

    Bob

    Thank you for your advice.

    The "Computer Name" of my MAXTOR storage device is: MSS-0135F8
    On the PC on which I am testing, it is Mapped as the 'S:' drive

    I created a tiny test ASPage which is shown below.

    There are three "dataBaseRoot" values

    The first is to prove the Script by using a Local Database table - it works OK

    The second uses the Mapped drive name - it fails as below

    Error Type:
    Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
    's:\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\data\org_data.mdb' is not a valid
    path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are
    connected to the server on which the file resides.
    /test/testshare.asp, line 14

    The third is my attempt to use a UNC string - it fails as below

    Error Type:
    Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
    '\\MSS-0135F8\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\data\org_data.mdb' is not
    a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you
    are connected to the server on which the file resides.
    /test/testshare.asp, line 14

    Where do I go next ??

    Pete (Northolt UK)

    <%

    dataBaseRoot = "c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Data\common\"

    ''dataBaseRoot = "s:\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\"

    ''dataBaseRoot = "\\MSS-0135F8\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\"

    DBCon = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=" & dataBaseRoot &
    "data\org_data.mdb"
    ''Response.Write("<P>" & DBCon)
    ''Response.end

    set my_conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    my_Conn.Open DBCon

    %>

    p byers, Aug 26, 2008
  6. "p byers" <> wrote in message
    > Anthony
    > Thank you for your reply.
    >
    > I tried so hard not to 'screw-up' my request and to give all of the

    relevant
    > information !!
    >
    > Such irony to slip-up on the 'Salutation' - lol
    >
    > The access to the ASPages (both on the PCs on the Local LAN and on the

    'Public
    > Internet') will be anonymous.
    >
    > The access to the Databases is Jet Queries only - not uploading or

    downloading.

    > In simple language, I would like several servers running IIS (LAN and

    'Public
    > Internet') to serve ASPages to be able to use the a Common (the same)

    Database -
    > not individual copies.
    >
    > -AND-
    >
    > to do it simply by quoting the appropriate Shared Folder in the DataSource

    of
    > the 'Open' statements.
    >
    > -BUT-
    >
    > I am too dim to be able to do it, I have Searched, Read and Struggled for

    ages -
    > and FAILed so far.
    >
    > -HENCE-
    >
    > My simple plea for simple help from clever folks

    I'm gonna guess that what you mean by public server is a server you run on
    your network which is accessible to the public.

    Add a new user to your domain (lets call it IUSR but you call it what you
    like) and make it a part of the GUESTS group. Set its password never to
    expire.

    On the File server (MAXTOR?) grant IUSR read/write access to the file share
    that contains the mdbs. Similarly grant the IUSR access to the folder that
    is being shared.

    The 2000 server will have a website or application folder which needs access
    to an mdb on the file server. Open the site or applications properties in
    IIS manager. Go to directory security, click edit... in authentication
    control, clear Intergrated Windows authentication, click edit... anonymous
    access, change the username to the domain IUSR account (use the browse
    button to select this) and enter the IUSR account password. Clear the Allow
    IIS to control password box and ok out the dialogs.

    Grant IUSR at least read rights on the folder that is the root of the site
    or application.

    Open local security policy (in admin tools) on the 2000 server. Expand
    Local Policies and click User Rights Assignment. In the list select and
    edit 'Log on as batch job' add IUSR to the set of accounts that can logon as
    a batch. While you're there look through the list of rights looking of
    rights granted to IUSR_<machinename> where ever such a right is granted add
    the IUSR (I think batch is the only one necessary, if that).

    Access some simple htm or gif in the application from a browser to check you
    got those steps correct. If that fails check the event logs, you'll likely
    have some message complaining about the username, password or access rights.

    I notice form subsequent replies that you may be attempting to access the
    mdbs on a mapped network drive. The process that ASP applications run in
    cannot see network drives. You must use UNCs to access network resources.

    The site should now be able query the mdb files.

    The steps for the XP systems are the same (note you only need one IUSR
    account for the domain).

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Aug 26, 2008
  7. p byers

    p byers Guest

    Anthony
    Thank you for your reply

    I will follow your advice step-by-step - hopefully arriving at the desired
    solution.

    I guess that I need to get to understand ActiveServer and create a Local Domain
    on my LAN before I can start.

    At the moment, connections on the LAN are achieved by IP Address or Machine
    Name.

    Only one point of correction - "Public Internet Server" is a phrase that I use
    to describe a Windows 2003 Server hosted for me by '1and1 ltd' - I have total
    use and control over that server, it is NOT shared access to a '1and1' Server.

    I host around 80 of my own WebSites on it and provide hosting for other folks
    too.

    Sorry that I did not make that clear in my original question.

    I also have several sites hosted with other ISPs

    I dream of giving these other sites access to Databases on my 'own' server !!

    Pete (Notholt UK)

    p byers, Aug 26, 2008
  8. "p byers" <> wrote in message
    > Anthony
    > Thank you for your reply
    >

    > I will follow your advice step-by-step - hopefully arriving at the desired
    > solution.
    >

    > I guess that I need to get to understand ActiveServer and create a Local

    Domain
    > on my LAN before I can start.

    Umm... that would seem to me to be a pre-requisite.

    > At the moment, connections on the LAN are achieved by IP Address or

    Machine
    > Name.
    >

    > Only one point of correction - "Public Internet Server" is a phrase that I

    use
    > to describe a Windows 2003 Server hosted for me by '1and1 ltd' - I have

    total
    > use and control over that server, it is NOT shared access to a '1and1'

    Server.

    Sorry I'm not clear on this now. You want query an mdb hosted on this
    server from one on your internal network?
    Do you have access to file services on this machine? Are you really sure
    you want to be doing JET queries (not known for their robust nature) over a
    VPN style link (if you have file service access you would want be using a
    VPN)?

    > I host around 80 of my own WebSites on it and provide hosting for other

    folks
    > too.

    Thats both the blessing and the curse of IIS. Much can be achieved without
    a great deal of understanding of how it works.

    > Sorry that I did not make that clear in my original question.
    >
    > I also have several sites hosted with other ISPs
    >
    > I dream of giving these other sites access to Databases on my 'own' server

    !!

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Aug 26, 2008
  9. "p byers" <> wrote in message
    > Bob
    >
    > Thank you for your advice.
    >
    > The "Computer Name" of my MAXTOR storage device is: MSS-0135F8
    > On the PC on which I am testing, it is Mapped as the 'S:' drive
    >
    > I created a tiny test ASPage which is shown below.
    >
    > There are three "dataBaseRoot" values

    > The first is to prove the Script by using a Local Database table - it
    > works OK

    > The second uses the Mapped drive name - it fails as below
    >
    > Error Type:
    > Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
    > 's:\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\data\org_data.mdb' is not a
    > valid
    > path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are
    > connected to the server on which the file resides.
    > /test/testshare.asp, line 14

    > The third is my attempt to use a UNC string - it fails as below
    >
    > Error Type:
    > Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
    > '\\MSS-0135F8\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\data\org_data.mdb'
    > is not
    > a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that
    > you
    > are connected to the server on which the file resides.
    > /test/testshare.asp, line 14

    > Where do I go next ??
    >
    > Pete (Northolt UK)
    >

    > <%
    >
    > dataBaseRoot = "c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Data\common\"
    >
    > ''dataBaseRoot = "s:\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\"
    >
    > ''dataBaseRoot = "\\MSS-0135F8\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\"
    >
    > DBCon = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=" & dataBaseRoot &
    > "data\org_data.mdb"
    > ''Response.Write("<P>" & DBCon)
    > ''Response.end
    >
    > set my_conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > my_Conn.Open DBCon
    >
    > %>
    >

    > Bob Milutinovic wrote:
    >

    >> There's an oft-abused acronym of "UNC" which'd help you greatly here.
    >>
    >> Have a read of the URL below; hopefully that'll be enough to set you in
    >> the
    >> right direction.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_(computing)#Uniform_Naming_Convention
    >>
    >> - Bob.

    The "S" drive is mapped to a network file share on MSS-0135F8, correct? If
    so, what is the name of that file share. The name of the file share should
    appear in the folder tree in Windows Explorer (i.e. the file manager). It
    should appear as something like:

    myfileshare on 'MSS-0135F8' (S:)

    So, in the example above the UNC you should use would be:

    \\MSS-0135F8\myfileshare\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common

    Chris Hohmann, Aug 27, 2008
  10. "p byers" <> wrote in message
    > Bob
    >
    > Thank you for your advice.
    >
    > The "Computer Name" of my MAXTOR storage device is: MSS-0135F8
    > On the PC on which I am testing, it is Mapped as the 'S:' drive
    >
    > I created a tiny test ASPage which is shown below.
    >
    > There are three "dataBaseRoot" values

    > The first is to prove the Script by using a Local Database table - it
    > works OK

    > The second uses the Mapped drive name - it fails as below
    >
    > Error Type:
    > Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
    > 's:\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\data\org_data.mdb' is not a
    > valid
    > path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are
    > connected to the server on which the file resides.
    > /test/testshare.asp, line 14

    This would appear to be a major failing.

    From the machine you're running the ASP scripts on, can you get to
    S:\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\data\org_data.mdb using Windows
    Explorer?

    If not, you'll need to create a permanent mapping to drive S: on _that_
    machine, so IIS can reference the network drive.

    If you can navigate to it with Explorer, then it'd likely be a
    setting/permission issue within IIS, but I've never encountered this
    before - and not having an IIS machine readily available to me at the
    moment, I can't dig through the settings to see if there's anything in there
    which would prevent you from accessing network shares from within a script.

    To eliminate the possibility of it being a peculiarity of the external
    Maxtor device, you might want to try accessing a share on another physical
    (Windows-based) computer. You might also want to use
    Scripting.FileSystemObject and ReadTextFile to read a text file from drive
    S:, to see if an ASP script can access simple files from a shared source
    (and if this succeeds, the blame'll lay on JET/OLEDB).

    - Bob.

    Bob Milutinovic, Aug 27, 2008
  11. p byers

    p byers Guest

    Chris and Bob

    Thank you for your replies
    I have done my best to try your suggestions.
    I think/hope that I covered them all !!

    The results are described below.

    I can Double Click on
    S:\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\data\org_data.mdb
    in Windows Explorer and it opens it in MSAccess

    BUT

    It gives a security warning (can be seen at
    http://www.byershostingpeter.co.uk/test/securitywarning.gif )
    I have never noticed that warning before !!
    On checking, I find that the message appears for any dotMDB files on any
    networked PCs

    SO

    I checked on doubleclicking on dotTXT files on the "S:" share
    No Security Warning
    File opens in Notepad

    I checked on doubleclicking on dotSVG files on the "S:" share
    No Security Warning
    File opens in Internet Explorer

    The "S:" share in WindowsExplorer is shown as:
    pbyers on 'mss-0135F8 (192.168.1.110)' (S)

    SO

    I tried
    dataBaseRoot = "\\mss-0135F8\pbyers\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\"
    still got the "is not a valid path" message !!

    I tried the "Z:" share and UNC eqivalent to get to the 'Windows Server 2000' PC

    got the "is not a valid path" message !!

    I created an ASPage to test the ability to read a dotTXT file

    It is shown below.

    There are four "strFileName" statements.

    The first is to prove the script on the Local PC - it works

    The other three fail !!

    I pasted "S:\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\test\testshare.txt" in the 'Open File'
    box in Notepad and it opened the file instantly.

    I tried the same test with both UNC strings - both took several seconds and
    then gave "invalid file name"

    Thank you for your knowledge, suggestions and interest - I hope that we will
    triumph !!

    Pete (Northolt UK)

    <%

    Const ForReading = 1, ForWriting = 2, ForAppending = 8
    Const TristateUseDefault = -2 ' Opens the file using the system default.
    Const TristateTrue = -1 ' Opens the file as Unicode.
    Const TristateFalse = 0 ' Opens the file as ASCII.

    Set objFS=Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    strFileName= "c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\testshare.txt"
    ''strFileName=
    "\\mss-0135F8\pbyers\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\test\testshare.txt"
    ''strFileName= "\\mss-0135F8\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\test\testshare.txt"
    ''strFileName= "S:\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\test\testshare.txt"

    If objFS.FileExists(strFileName) = True Then
    Set objTextS = objFS.OpenTextFile(strFileName, ForReading, False,
    TristateFalse)

    textRead = objTextS.ReadAll

    Response.Write textRead
    else
    Response.Write "File Not found"
    end if

    %>

    p byers, Aug 27, 2008
  13. "Bob Milutinovic" <> wrote in message
    > "p byers" <> wrote in message
    > > Bob
    > >
    > > Thank you for your advice.
    > >
    > > The "Computer Name" of my MAXTOR storage device is: MSS-0135F8
    > > On the PC on which I am testing, it is Mapped as the 'S:' drive
    > >
    > > I created a tiny test ASPage which is shown below.
    > >
    > > There are three "dataBaseRoot" values

    > > The first is to prove the Script by using a Local Database table - it
    > > works OK

    > > The second uses the Mapped drive name - it fails as below
    > >
    > > Error Type:
    > > Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
    > > 's:\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\data\org_data.mdb' is not a
    > > valid
    > > path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are
    > > connected to the server on which the file resides.
    > > /test/testshare.asp, line 14

    > This would appear to be a major failing.
    >
    > From the machine you're running the ASP scripts on, can you get to
    > S:\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\data\org_data.mdb using Windows
    > Explorer?
    >
    > If not, you'll need to create a permanent mapping to drive S: on _that_
    > machine, so IIS can reference the network drive.

    How is that done exactly? I've never been able to convince IIS to use a
    mapped drive, I'm not sure how a service would get to see one.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Aug 27, 2008
  14. "p byers" <> wrote in message
    > Chris and Bob
    >
    > Thank you for your replies
    > I have done my best to try your suggestions.
    > I think/hope that I covered them all !!
    >
    > The results are described below.

    > I can Double Click on
    > S:\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\data\org_data.mdb
    > in Windows Explorer and it opens it in MSAccess
    >
    > BUT
    >
    > It gives a security warning (can be seen at
    > http://www.byershostingpeter.co.uk/test/securitywarning.gif )
    > I have never noticed that warning before !!
    > On checking, I find that the message appears for any dotMDB files on any
    > networked PCs

    Dunno what that is. A better test would be to knock up some VBScript in VBS
    file that simulates the sort of ADO querying you would be doing from ASP.

    > SO
    >
    > I checked on doubleclicking on dotTXT files on the "S:" share
    > No Security Warning
    > File opens in Notepad
    >

    > I checked on doubleclicking on dotSVG files on the "S:" share
    > No Security Warning
    > File opens in Internet Explorer

    > The "S:" share in WindowsExplorer is shown as:
    > pbyers on 'mss-0135F8 (192.168.1.110)' (S)

    When you created the S: mapping did you enter any user credentials that are
    needed gain access to the share?

    > SO
    >
    > I tried
    > dataBaseRoot =

    "\\mss-0135F8\pbyers\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\"
    > still got the "is not a valid path" message !!

    What does this mean? Your assigning a string into a variable but what do
    you do with it?

    > I tried the "Z:" share and UNC eqivalent to get to the 'Windows Server

    2000' PC
    > got the "is not a valid path" message !!

    What is 'the "Z:" share"? What is the UNC equivalent?

    > I created an ASPage to test the ability to read a dotTXT file
    >
    > It is shown below.
    >
    > There are four "strFileName" statements.
    >
    > The first is to prove the script on the Local PC - it works
    >
    > The other three fail !!

    That isn't surprising since so far you haven't got the UNC path working even
    in an interactive session and S: will not be available in IIS.

    > I pasted "S:\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\test\testshare.txt" in the 'Open

    File'
    > box in Notepad and it opened the file instantly.
    >
    > I tried the same test with both UNC strings - both took several seconds

    and then
    > gave "invalid file name"

    Sounds like there is a problem resolving the name mss-0145F8?
    What protocols are you running (OTW are you running NBT over TCP/IP or just
    straight TCP/IP).

    Try pinging mss-0145F8 I bet that doesn't work. Is mss-0145F8 actually the
    Computer name the domain knows the device as. Your other post appear to
    refer to it as MAXTOR.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Aug 27, 2008
  15. Is this MAXTOR thing a removable drive?
    In my experience, mapped drives do not work with IIS. you need to use
    the unc path.

    p byers wrote:
    > Chris and Bob
    >
    > Thank you for your replies
    > I have done my best to try your suggestions.
    > I think/hope that I covered them all !!
    >
    > The results are described below.

    > I can Double Click on
    > S:\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\data\org_data.mdb
    > in Windows Explorer and it opens it in MSAccess

    This is not really relevant. just because this drive is visible to your
    user account does not mean that it is visible to the account under which
    ASP is running.

    <snip>

    > The "S:" share in WindowsExplorer is shown as:
    > pbyers on 'mss-0135F8 (192.168.1.110)' (S)
    >
    > SO
    >
    > I tried
    > dataBaseRoot =
    > "\\mss-0135F8\pbyers\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\" still
    > got the "is not a valid path" message !!

    Permissions. The account IIS is running under needs permissions to both
    the pbyers share and the folder the share is referring to.

    > I pasted "S:\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\test\testshare.txt" in the
    > 'Open File' box in Notepad and it opened the file instantly.

    Again ... irrelevant

    > I tried the same test with both UNC strings - both took several
    > seconds and then gave "invalid file name"

    Then you have the wrong path. This needs to be correct before you
    attempt to use it.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Aug 27, 2008
  16. p byers

    p byers Guest

    Hi

    Chris Hohmann and Bob Milutinovic gave me two replies that I read carefully and
    tried to take on board.

    They had both suggestions and questions.

    I did my level best to try their suggestions and answer their questions.

    I put it all in one reply to try and establish one path of trials.

    Anthony Jones and Bob Barrows both kindly contributed with comments and suggestions.

    My replies and comments to both are here.

    Anthony said

    *********

    "Dunno what that is. A better test would be to knock up some VBScript in VBS file
    that simulates the sort of ADO querying you would be doing from ASP."

    I will do that - the reason there are two reasons that I did not do it already

    1. I expected that I would be told that this is the wrong group
    - AND -
    it is ASP that I want the things to wok in.

    2. I have experience in the past that the content in VBS does not always work when
    transfered to ASP

    *********

    "When you created the S: mapping did you enter any user credentials that are needed
    gain access to the share?"

    No - found the Folder (cannot remember if it was in 'Search' or 'Network Places') -
    then RightClick - DropDown - Clicked on MapPath

    *********

    "What does this mean? Your assigning a string into a variable but what do you do
    with it?"

    In the Original Post, there was a copy of the ASPage, I inserted the line in to that
    file.

    *********

    "What is 'the "Z:" share"? What is the UNC equivalent?"

    In the Original Post I listed four devices on the Network - the "Z:" share is the
    Windows 2000 Server.

    The test was done in response to the thought that it could all work OK if I used a
    PC rather than the MAXTOR device.

    *********

    "That isn't surprising since so far you haven't got the UNC path working even in an
    interactive session and S: will not be available in IIS."

    I understand that - that is the whole basis of my problem - lol

    *********

    "Sounds like there is a problem resolving the name mss-0145F8? What protocols are
    you running (OTW are you running NBT over TCP/IP or just straight TCP/IP).

    Try pinging mss-0145F8 I bet that doesn't work. Is mss-0145F8 actually the
    Computer name the domain knows the device as. Your other post appear to refer to it
    as MAXTOR."

    Please look at http://www.byershostingpeter.co.uk/test/images-1.htm there are three
    images tha I think may be relevant.

    I do not know what protocols I am running, BUT, I will find out !!

    Thank you Anthony

    Bob said

    *********

    "Is this MAXTOR thing a removable drive?
    In my experience, mapped drives do not work with IIS. you need to use the unc
    path."

    The MAXTOR thing is a Network Attached Storage device - 192.168.1.110

    I have never got Mapped Drives to work with IIS

    This is my first aquaintance with UNC paths - BUT - I am doing my best to learn -
    lol

    *********

    "This is not really relevant. just because this drive is visible to your user
    account does not mean that it is visible to the account under which ASP is running."

    I understand that - it was done in response to a comment from 'Chris and the other
    Bob' - I am trying to cover all bases and give all the info to the kind, clever
    folks that are trying to help me !!

    *********

    "Permissions. The account IIS is running under needs permissions to both the pbyers
    share and the folder the share is referring to."

    I understand that - sadly, I am not very knowledgeable about the subject of
    Permissions (so far, I have got away with plugging devices into a network and
    praying - lol)

    As mentioned in a previous post, I am furiously trying to learn and get up to speed
    on the subject of Active Directory and Domains.

    In years I am ancient - technologically, I am a Babe-in-Arms, but I am working hard
    to learn - once I know, I wont forget !!

    *********

    "Again ... irrelevant"

    I did this simple to prove to myself that I was not being caught out by any typos !!

    *********

    "Then you have the wrong path. This needs to be correct before you attempt to use
    it."

    That is something I know - I wish I could get the correct ones - with help from the
    clever folks in here, I hope and expect to get there !!

    *********

    Thank you Bob

    p byers, Aug 28, 2008
  17. "p byers" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Chris Hohmann and Bob Milutinovic gave me two replies that I read

    carefully and
    > tried to take on board.
    >
    > They had both suggestions and questions.
    >
    > I did my level best to try their suggestions and answer their questions.
    >
    > I put it all in one reply to try and establish one path of trials.

    > Anthony Jones and Bob Barrows both kindly contributed with comments and

    suggestions.

    > My replies and comments to both are here.
    >

    > Anthony said
    >
    > *********
    >
    > "Dunno what that is. A better test would be to knock up some VBScript in

    VBS file
    > that simulates the sort of ADO querying you would be doing from ASP."
    >
    > I will do that - the reason there are two reasons that I did not do it

    already

    > 1. I expected that I would be told that this is the wrong group

    Yes it can be off putting when people are more interested in netiquette then
    simpy being a community of people with knowledge spanning likely common
    areas

    > - AND -
    > it is ASP that I want the things to wok in.
    >
    > 2. I have experience in the past that the content in VBS does not always

    work when
    > transfered to ASP

    True, but its a useful diagnositic tool to know whether the same code runs
    in VBS or not. If it does then its likely a user rights permission problem,
    if doesn't then there is something else wrong.

    > *********
    >
    > "When you created the S: mapping did you enter any user credentials that

    are needed
    > gain access to the share?"
    >
    > No - found the Folder (cannot remember if it was in 'Search' or 'Network

    Places') -
    > then RightClick - DropDown - Clicked on MapPath

    K that means either the current user has permissions or the share has no
    restrictions.

    > *********
    >
    > "What does this mean? Your assigning a string into a variable but what

    do you do
    > with it?"
    >
    > In the Original Post, there was a copy of the ASPage, I inserted the line

    in to that
    > file.
    >
    > *********
    >
    > "What is 'the "Z:" share"? What is the UNC equivalent?"
    >
    > In the Original Post I listed four devices on the Network - the "Z:" share

    is the
    > Windows 2000 Server.
    >
    > The test was done in response to the thought that it could all work OK if

    I used a
    > PC rather than the MAXTOR device.
    >
    > *********
    >
    > "That isn't surprising since so far you haven't got the UNC path working

    even in an
    > interactive session and S: will not be available in IIS."
    >
    > I understand that - that is the whole basis of my problem - lol
    >
    > *********
    >
    > "Sounds like there is a problem resolving the name mss-0145F8? What

    protocols are
    > you running (OTW are you running NBT over TCP/IP or just straight TCP/IP).
    >
    > Try pinging mss-0145F8 I bet that doesn't work. Is mss-0145F8 actually

    the
    > Computer name the domain knows the device as. Your other post appear to

    refer to it
    > as MAXTOR."
    >
    > Please look at http://www.byershostingpeter.co.uk/test/images-1.htm there

    are three
    > images tha I think may be relevant.
    >
    > I do not know what protocols I am running, BUT, I will find out !!

    The ping results shows your fundemental problem. The name mss-0145F8 can
    not be resolved to an IP address.

    Ordinarily in a TCP/IP Windows network running the old NetBT protocol the
    2000 server would be nominated as a name server. I suspect that this isn't
    working on your network because either it isn't running NetBT or the NAS
    doesn't support it.

    My advice for such a small network would be to edit the hosts file (you will
    need to do this on each machine)

    In notepad open C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file (note the hosts
    file has no file extension).

    Add an entry:-

    192.168.1.110 MSS-01345F8

    to the file and save.

    Try the ping

    If that works

    try using the UNC path in Windows Explorer

    If that works

    try a sample of your code in a VBS file

    If that works

    try your ASP again

    if that fails re-read my comments on configuring the anonymous user on a web
    app.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Aug 28, 2008
  18. p byers

    p byers Guest

    Anthony
    Thank you, I will try the things that you suggest.
    Pete (Northolt UK)

    p byers, Aug 28, 2008
  19. p byers

    p byers Guest

    Anthony

    Added the line to the 'hosts' file

    The 'ping' did work OK as you expected.

    Created VBS file shown below.

    Tried it with the database on the 'C:' drive just to prove the script
    It Worhed OK

    Tried it with the UNC file source.
    It failed - Error message shown below

    Pete (Northolt UK)

    ************* The VBS file *********************************

    ''dataBaseRoot = "c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Data\common\"

    ''dataBaseRoot = "s:\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\"

    ''dataBaseRoot = "z:\wwwroot\Data\mailing\"

    dataBaseRoot = "\\MSS-0135F8\pbyers\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\"

    DBCon = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=" & dataBaseRoot &
    "data\org_data.mdb"
    ''Response.Write("<P>" & DBCon)
    ''Response.end

    set my_conn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    my_Conn.Open DBCon

    WScript.Echo "Worked OK"

    *********** The Error Message ****************************

    ---------------------------
    Windows Script Host
    ---------------------------
    Script: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\test\testshare.vbs
    Line: 16
    Char: 1
    Error:
    '\\MSS-0135F8\pbyers\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\data\org_data.mdb'
    is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that
    you are connected to the server on which the file resides.
    Code: 80004005
    Source: Microsoft JET Database Engine

    ---------------------------
    OK
    ---------------------------

    p byers, Aug 28, 2008
  20. "p byers" <> wrote in message
    > Anthony
    >
    > Added the line to the 'hosts' file
    >
    > The 'ping' did work OK as you expected.
    >
    > Created VBS file shown below.
    >
    > Tried it with the database on the 'C:' drive just to prove the script
    > It Worhed OK
    >
    > Tried it with the UNC file source.
    > It failed - Error message shown below
    >
    > Pete (Northolt UK)
    >

    > ************* The VBS file *********************************
    >
    > ''dataBaseRoot = "c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Data\common\"
    >
    > ''dataBaseRoot = "s:\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\"
    >
    > ''dataBaseRoot = "z:\wwwroot\Data\mailing\"
    >
    > dataBaseRoot =

    "\\MSS-0135F8\pbyers\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\"

    > DBCon = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=" & dataBaseRoot &
    > "data\org_data.mdb"
    > ''Response.Write("<P>" & DBCon)
    > ''Response.end
    >
    > set my_conn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > my_Conn.Open DBCon
    >
    > WScript.Echo "Worked OK"
    >

    > *********** The Error Message ****************************
    >
    > ---------------------------
    > Windows Script Host
    > ---------------------------
    > Script: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\test\testshare.vbs
    > Line: 16
    > Char: 1
    > Error:

    '\\MSS-0135F8\pbyers\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\data\org_data.m
    db'
    > is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly

    and that
    > you are connected to the server on which the file resides.
    > Code: 80004005
    > Source: Microsoft JET Database Engine

    > OK

    Did you do the windows explorer test?