ASP Admin system pointers

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Astra, Jun 22, 2005.

  1. Astra

    Astra Guest

    Hi All

    I've been creating a number of admin systems now for my classic ASP sites
    and although they seem to keep the wolves from the door, I just wanted to
    ask if you have any additional security pointers that I should watch out
    for.

    For your ref, the ones that I have already been told are:

    a) Always have a login/password section in place and use session vars to
    allow access into the protected pages. If the browser won't work with
    session vars then they can't get in and the end user will have to sort it
    out to get session vars to work. NOTE: my ISP charges for HTAccess
    functionality so I don't use this.

    b) Put login and protected pages in an obscurely named sub-directory.

    c) When on the live site, make sure the pages are set to On Error Resume
    Next so that no unwanted database error messages are shown to the user.

    Any more?

    Should I expire the pages so that web logs can't log the referrer (ie the
    end user goes from the admin system to somebody's else site) and don't
    appear in a web site's history? Is this actually possible?

    Many thanks for any pointers you can give.

    Regards

    Robbie

    Astra, Jun 22, 2005