ASP and ActiveX control client side - 101

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Stephanie Stowe, Sep 27, 2004.

  1. Hi. I have never worked on a project that requires IE. So I have done the
    vast majority of my work server side, delivering cross-browser compliant
    HTML to the client. I am working on a bug fix to a system that is a munch of
    ASP, ASP.NET with hard-core client side JScript, VBScript (client-side) and
    ActiveX controls. The problem in question involves functionality that is
    common to an ActiveX control delivered to the client. I have never
    understood how the ActiveX control gets delivered to the client from the
    server. So I came here to you helpful folks.

    Let's say I have an ASP project that contains an ActiveX control. What do I
    put on the server to ensure the control gets downloaded? A CAB file for the
    control? How does the server deliver the control to the client? What could
    prevent the control from making it to the client?

    I do not even know for sure if these questions make sense. The weird thing
    is that if a client hits the page which uses the control from one web
    *server* it works fine. When the same client hits the same page on a
    different server, they get an error that the Object doesn't support this
    property or method. It is clearly a client-side VBScript error.

    So if you have an app that is sitting on several servers behind a load
    balancer, what signature is required on the control to tell the client that
    it is the same one?

    Anyway, I am fumbling a little, but sometimes when I ramble, someone has
    some pointers to give me a push into directions to look at. The code on the
    servers is the same. I checked that.

    Thanks for your help.

    Stephanie Stowe, Sep 27, 2004

  2. "Stephanie Stowe" <> wrote in message
    > Hi. I have never worked on a project that requires IE. So I have done the
    > vast majority of my work server side, delivering cross-browser compliant
    > HTML to the client. I am working on a bug fix to a system that is a munch
    > of
    > ASP, ASP.NET with hard-core client side JScript, VBScript (client-side)
    > and
    > ActiveX controls. The problem in question involves functionality that is
    > common to an ActiveX control delivered to the client. I have never
    > understood how the ActiveX control gets delivered to the client from the
    > server. So I came here to you helpful folks.
    >
    > Let's say I have an ASP project that contains an ActiveX control. What do
    > put on the server to ensure the control gets downloaded? A CAB file for
    > the
    > control? How does the server deliver the control to the client? What could
    > prevent the control from making it to the client?

    A CAB or the OCX. You reference it with the codebase property so the client
    knows where to get it.

    > I do not even know for sure if these questions make sense. The weird thing
    > is that if a client hits the page which uses the control from one web
    > *server* it works fine. When the same client hits the same page on a
    > different server, they get an error that the Object doesn't support this
    > property or method. It is clearly a client-side VBScript error.
    >
    > So if you have an app that is sitting on several servers behind a load
    > balancer, what signature is required on the control to tell the client
    > that
    > it is the same one?

    It's the control's version number - that should be included as part of the
    codebase in your client-side code for the object. The client looks at the
    version installed versus what the code says.

    > Anyway, I am fumbling a little, but sometimes when I ramble, someone has
    > some pointers to give me a push into directions to look at. The code on
    > the
    > servers is the same. I checked that.

    Here's an example:

    <OBJECT id=control1 name=control1
    codeBase=http://server/controls/control.cab#Version=2,6,3,2 >

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Sep 27, 2004

  3. "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (A@T) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
    > "Stephanie Stowe" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi. I have never worked on a project that requires IE. So I have done

    the
    > > vast majority of my work server side, delivering cross-browser compliant
    > > HTML to the client. I am working on a bug fix to a system that is a

    munch
    > > of
    > > ASP, ASP.NET with hard-core client side JScript, VBScript (client-side)
    > > and
    > > ActiveX controls. The problem in question involves functionality that is
    > > common to an ActiveX control delivered to the client. I have never
    > > understood how the ActiveX control gets delivered to the client from the
    > > server. So I came here to you helpful folks.
    > >
    > > Let's say I have an ASP project that contains an ActiveX control. What

    do
    > > put on the server to ensure the control gets downloaded? A CAB file for
    > > the
    > > control? How does the server deliver the control to the client? What

    could
    > > prevent the control from making it to the client?

    > A CAB or the OCX. You reference it with the codebase property so the

    client
    > knows where to get it.
    >
    > > I do not even know for sure if these questions make sense. The weird

    thing
    > > is that if a client hits the page which uses the control from one web
    > > *server* it works fine. When the same client hits the same page on a
    > > different server, they get an error that the Object doesn't support this
    > > property or method. It is clearly a client-side VBScript error.
    > >
    > > So if you have an app that is sitting on several servers behind a load
    > > balancer, what signature is required on the control to tell the client
    > > that
    > > it is the same one?

    > It's the control's version number - that should be included as part of the
    > codebase in your client-side code for the object. The client looks at the
    > version installed versus what the code says.
    >
    > > Anyway, I am fumbling a little, but sometimes when I ramble, someone has
    > > some pointers to give me a push into directions to look at. The code on
    > > the
    > > servers is the same. I checked that.

    > Here's an example:
    >
    > <OBJECT id=control1 name=control1