    problems with my queries; is there anyone here who has a knowledge of
    query syntax in Mysql?

    If so, I need some help with couple of queries.
    M. Savas Zorlu, Nov 23, 2007

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "M. Savas Zorlu"
    <> writing in news:ebAH#ofLIHA.2432
    @TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just decided to leave Mssql and start using Mysql. I am having some
    > problems with my queries; is there anyone here who has a knowledge of
    > query syntax in Mysql?
    >
    > If so, I need some help with couple of queries.

    What specific queries are you having problems with? Have you looked at the
    MySQL site to find help? This is really a MySQL topic and is more
    appropriate at comp.databases.mysql . Follow-ups set.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Nov 23, 2007

  3. M. Savas Zorlu

    Brynn Guest

    On Nov 23, 11:56 am, "M. Savas Zorlu" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just decided to leave Mssql and start using Mysql. I am having some
    > problems with my queries; is there anyone here who has a knowledge of
    > query syntax in Mysql?
    >
    > If so, I need some help with couple of queries.

    What problems were you having with the queries with MSSQL. I can't
    IMAGINE you having any better luck with mysql. I program with both. If
    you can be more specific with your problem, we should be able to help.

    Personally ... I would like to help you with your MS SQL problem ... I
    like to build applications that burn circles in the cement around
    mysql! HOWEVER, I like mysql for my smaller clients too ... but even
    then I try to get them to use sql server 2005 express with an xml
    workhorse program of mine if I can .. heh.

    Anyway, let us know.

    Take care,
    Brynn Curry
    Brynn, Nov 24, 2007
  4. Dear Brynn,

    thank you for your response. Firstly MSSQL is too expensive. MSSQL 2005
    express seemed even slower than access in queries. (I had recently
    upsized from access) amd it lacks the tools for tuning and I am not a
    dataabse expert so I am not sure how to tune the 2005 XPRESS to perform
    better.

    here is one query that doesnt work:

    SELECT COUNT(AD_ID) AS unpaid FROM tblADS WHERE A_PAID = 0 AND A_USER =
    1 AND A_STATUS > 0 AND DateDiff(h, now(), A_DATE_END) > 0

    its the datediff function that I cannot find a way to make it work in mysql

    my other problem is paging through recordsets.

    cursor locks etc. they dont seem to work in mysql. I found a solution
    which involves using LIMIT 0,20 sort of things but that doesnt look like
    the optimum way to do it to me.

    M. Savas Zorlu, Nov 24, 2007
  5. Dear Adrienne,

    thank you for your response. I will definitely look into
    comp.databases.mysql

    M. Savas Zorlu, Nov 24, 2007
  6. M. wrote on Sat, 24 Nov 2007 14:36:30 +0200:

    > Dear Brynn,

    > thank you for your response. Firstly MSSQL is too expensive. MSSQL 2005
    > express seemed even slower than access in queries. (I had recently upsized
    > from access) amd it lacks the tools for tuning and I am not a dataabse
    > expert so I am not sure how to tune the 2005 XPRESS to perform
    > better.

    MSSQL 2005 is free, so I can only assume you're "too expensive" reference is
    directed at the other editions. The tuning tools mostly involve creating
    indexes. Upsizing from Access isn't great, it leaves a lot to be desired
    (although I haven't upsized since Access 97, so maybe the tools got better,
    but I doubt it). If you can't work out what indexes you should be creating
    in MS SQL, do you really think using MySQL will help?

    > here is one query that doesnt work:

    > SELECT COUNT(AD_ID) AS unpaid FROM tblADS WHERE A_PAID = 0 AND A_USER =
    > 1 AND A_STATUS > 0 AND DateDiff(h, now(), A_DATE_END) > 0

    > its the datediff function that I cannot find a way to make it work in
    > mysql

    Searching on Google for MySQL Datediff throws up lots of results, most of
    which will make it clear that the syntax for datediff is different.

    eg. http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/date-and-time-functions.html#function_datediff

    MySQL's datediff only takes 2 arguments, and returns the number of days.
    You can't use it to work out the number of hours difference, you would have
    to use DATE_ADD instead to add hours to the current time and compare to the
    column in the database.

    Dan
    Daniel Crichton, Nov 26, 2007