ASP and Telnet

richardtinkler

I need to communicate with a POP3 server using ASP.

Does anybody have any ideas how I can set up a telnet connection using
an ASP script?

There are some components out there, but my host won't allow them.
Thanks for any ideas, R

Richard Hollis

Well a component would seem the best way to go here, if you are really
intent on using Telnet. Sounds like you need to find a host that will allow
them.

But perhaps a better option would be to take a step back and think about
what you are trying to acheive and why you would want to do this? You might
be able to get the data you want from this telnet system via a different
route or via some form of extract that you can then use for your ASP site in
a much more efficient way. An ASP page that is connected to a telnet
session might not be very responsive going forward - especially if you want
to keep that session open across multiple page requests for one user.
Assuming that you need to keep the telnet session open, how are you going to
handle interactions with the telnet session across the ASP session? You
wouldn't want to store this telnet component in a session variable for
instance and then have multiple users each using the component stored in a
session variable - your site will grind to a halt pretty quickly. You can't
store it at application level either. Are multiple users going to be using
your site at the same time?

Richard

Roland Hall

in message
:
: But perhaps a better option would be to take a step back and think about
: what you are trying to acheive and why you would want to do this? You
might
: be able to get the data you want from this telnet system via a different
: route or via some form of extract that you can then use for your ASP site
in
: a much more efficient way. An ASP page that is connected to a telnet
: session might not be very responsive going forward - especially if you
want
: to keep that session open across multiple page requests for one user.

Why would you need to keep the telnet session open?

<snip>

richardtinkler

I would like to avoid using Telnet if I can, but haven't been able to
find any non-component alternatives? Any suggestions...? Thanks ,R

richardtinkler

I need to put together a WebMail system which will allow me to send
using an SMTP component and retrieve via POP3.

Thanks for any help, R