    an ASP script?

    There are some components out there, but my host won't allow them.
    Thanks for any ideas, R

    richardtinkler, Dec 12, 2004

  2. Well a component would seem the best way to go here, if you are really
    intent on using Telnet. Sounds like you need to find a host that will allow
    them.

    But perhaps a better option would be to take a step back and think about
    what you are trying to acheive and why you would want to do this? You might
    be able to get the data you want from this telnet system via a different
    route or via some form of extract that you can then use for your ASP site in
    a much more efficient way. An ASP page that is connected to a telnet
    session might not be very responsive going forward - especially if you want
    to keep that session open across multiple page requests for one user.
    Assuming that you need to keep the telnet session open, how are you going to
    handle interactions with the telnet session across the ASP session? You
    wouldn't want to store this telnet component in a session variable for
    instance and then have multiple users each using the component stored in a
    session variable - your site will grind to a halt pretty quickly. You can't
    store it at application level either. Are multiple users going to be using
    your site at the same time?

    Richard

    Richard Hollis, Dec 12, 2004

  3. richardtinkler

    Roland Hall Guest

    :
    : But perhaps a better option would be to take a step back and think about
    : what you are trying to acheive and why you would want to do this? You
    might
    : be able to get the data you want from this telnet system via a different
    : route or via some form of extract that you can then use for your ASP site
    in
    : a much more efficient way. An ASP page that is connected to a telnet
    : session might not be very responsive going forward - especially if you
    want
    : to keep that session open across multiple page requests for one user.

    Why would you need to keep the telnet session open?

    <snip>

    Roland Hall, Dec 13, 2004
  4. I would like to avoid using Telnet if I can, but haven't been able to
    find any non-component alternatives? Any suggestions...? Thanks ,R

    richardtinkler, Dec 13, 2004
  5. What are you trying to do? Can you give more of an outline?

    Richard Hollis, Dec 14, 2004
  6. I need to put together a WebMail system which will allow me to send
    using an SMTP component and retrieve via POP3.

    Thanks for any help, R

    richardtinkler, Dec 17, 2004