ASP ans Norton IS

confuzzled

I have tracked down an issue with my ASP website to Norton Internet
Security. Users accessing my Site with NIS cannot view pages correctly (i.e.
images are not rendered in some sections). It appears through googling this
problem that its specifically the pop-up blocker that's the issue, but since
i dont have any pop-up pages I'm perplexed as to what could be causing it.
Is there any standard method for combatting nortons intereference with
standard ASP webpages?

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

confuzzled said:
I have tracked down an issue with my ASP website to Norton Internet
Security. Users accessing my Site with NIS cannot view pages correctly
(i.e. images are not rendered in some sections). It appears through
googling this problem that its specifically the pop-up blocker that's the
issue, but since i dont have any pop-up pages I'm perplexed as to what
could be causing it. Is there any standard method for combatting nortons
intereference with standard ASP webpages?

Nope, Norton knows nothing about ASP as by the time it reaches the client
it's just simple HTML. Are you doing something funky with your img tags
(and that's not an ASP issue)?

Lee Carnell

confuzzled said:
I have tracked down an issue with my ASP website to Norton Internet Security.
Users accessing my Site with NIS cannot view pages correctly (i.e. images are
not rendered in some sections). It appears through googling this problem that
its specifically the pop-up blocker that's the issue, but since i dont have any
pop-up pages I'm perplexed as to what could be causing it. Is there any
standard method for combatting nortons intereference with standard ASP
webpages?

Norton IS does block access to the referer information (in it's out of the box
congiguration), could this be the issue with images not showing? Something
similar happened to me a while back.

Paxton

confuzzled said:
I have tracked down an issue with my ASP website to Norton Internet
Security. Users accessing my Site with NIS cannot view pages correctly (i.e.
images are not rendered in some sections). It appears through googling this
problem that its specifically the pop-up blocker that's the issue, but since
i dont have any pop-up pages I'm perplexed as to what could be causing it.
Is there any standard method for combatting nortons intereference with
standard ASP webpages?

If you are using floated elements, IE sometimes has problems displaying
text or images positioned next to them. The solution is to add
position: relative to the CSS declaration of the offending item. If
that doesn't work, give it a width.

The only issue I know of concerning Nortons and ASP is that it prevents
you using the filescriptingobject if you don't turn off the script
blocker, where Nortons is installed on the same machine.

If you have links from your searches that show Nortons and ASP clashing
elsewhere, please post them. I'd be interested to see them.

/P.

confuzzled

I solved this problem a while back but only just had chance to inform the
group - the problem, which seems nuts was that Norton was blocking my images
because they were 250 x 250 pixels , I changed these sizes to 249 pixels x
249 (after stripping away every scrap of asp code i had to find the
culprit - and of course there wasnt one lol) - lo and behold the images
appeared. wasn't ASP afterall although these images do appear happily in
standard HTML pages at 250x250 ... so its sort of an ASP problem??